Men vs. Women Effort in loosing weight

patfriendly
patfriendly Posts: 263 Member
Is it true that its easy for women to loose weight and look good than it is for men?

Amount-of-work-required-to-look-good.jpg

Replies

• Cali_Chica
    Cali_Chica Posts: 895 Member
    In to find the spelling bee champs
  • mister_universe
    mister_universe Posts: 6,664 Member

<< Fourth grade, city wide. Got bounced in fifth grade on a technicality. Still bitter.
  • MM_1982
    MM_1982 Posts: 374
    Depends on what you go for. For my personal tastes, I just want a woman to be thin (don't care about anything else). Some guys might like a woman with some muscle mass. Conversely, some women might go for a guy who has muscles or go for one that is very slender.

It varies from person to person.
  • FatHuMan1
    FatHuMan1 Posts: 1,028 Member

<<<Third grade. Still trying to decide whether to spend that $50 gift certificate on Lego or comic books.
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member

<<<Third grade. Still trying to decide whether to spend that $50 gift certificate on Lego or comic books.

You got a $50 gift certificate? I got to regionals in 7th grade and all I got was a plastic trophy!
  • determined_erin
    determined_erin Posts: 571 Member
    Having a flat stomach is not easy. Personally, I've just lost almost 90 lbs and have a "belly overhang" from that. In 2014, I plan to work on getting a flat stomach. I don't consider that a lack of effort.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    It is just as easy for one to lose weight as the other. However, losing weight is not the point of you picture. The point of your picture is to have a hot body. And while tastes differ, what is *generally* considered hot on a woman is low body fat. What is *generally* considered hot on a man is a good bit of muscle. And as such, speaking in generallities, your picture IS true. It is easier for a woman to acheive what is generally considered hot than it is for a man.

However, the title of your thread is not relevant to this. Losing weight is the same whether you are a man or woman. Calories in vs calories out.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,021 Member
    Yes, in the "amount of work required to look good" category, women clearly have it easier than men.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Pretty much, yeah. For the most part women can simply be relatively skinny and be almost universally considered to "look good."

Men have no such option. A typical untrained man who just loses weight without doing strength training will progress from "fat" to "skinnyfat" to "skin and bones."

Now, if a woman's goal is more than simply to be skinny and have most people think she "looks good"....... then she has some work to do.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    If say yes and no.

For the most part the vast majority of people(that don't really workout) still view women as being in shape as just skinny and men as muscular. Those who do work out know that its not that simple at all but we aren't the majority by any means.

Anyways

It's easier for a girl to just loose weight and be skinny with clothes on regardless of her body composition and still "look good" to the majority of the population.

On the other hand. A guy can spend 1+ years in the gym working his *kitten* off and as soon as he put jeans and a shirt (that actually fits) than it instantly doesn't look like he works out. The majority of the population views mean as looking good or in shape when there is lower body fat and higher lean mass which is really hard to see in clothes until you have spent a great great deal of time. Most guys may just look skinny or chubby in clothes and that's all, not looking good or inshape.

Advantage = women

Now for both sexes, that doesn't hold true when the clothes come off. Skinny fat/chub will show through on women and men have it a bit easier bc you can actually tell they workout now without a short and so on.

Advantage = men

This assumes men don't go around and dress in their little brothers T shirts or wear those stupid skinny jeans.

Just how I see things.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    I am just glad the standards of another person "looking good" varies from person to person. This means I can do as much or as little "work" as I want and somebody is still going to place me in the "would bang" category. And really, that's all I care about.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Eh, whether you're male or female most people agree that either look good lean. While you can go crazy with the body building if you really want to, a lot of people aren't really into the look.

For the sole purpose of getting lean, I'd say men have it much easier. They have a higher metabolism so having one slip up like a beer probably won't even put them over their calories. Men also have a much easier time putting on muscle, helping with their body composition. They're also a lot less likely to have issues with emotional eating and hormonal problems like PCOS.

I suppose if your goal is to look like Arnold back in the day, yes that will take years of really hard effort. Same goes for women that want to put on muscle though, and that's near impossible without drugs.

For me at least, not eating like a cow isn't enough.
  • ElliottTN
    I am just glad the standards of another person "looking good" varies from person to person. This means I can do as much or as little "work" as I want and somebody is still going to place me in the "would bang" category. And really, that's all I care about.

Do you wear that shirt all year round?
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress

Duh, I love Santa.
  • ElliottTN

Duh, I love Santa.

Thumbs up for taking joke gracefully
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,021 Member
    It is so hard to try to put a universal spin on this. I think more is expected of women, in general, because men are less forgiving on the physical appearance front than women tend to be. It's not enough to just be "skinny." You have to be pretty, have a great rack, a great *kitten*, great hair, great skin, perfect smile, be dressed like a hooker, etc. I realize that's a generalization and that most men reach a point where they're just happy to find a woman who doesn't look like a troll and isn't bat**** crazy. But I've been around guys when they're sitting around, critiquing the appearance of random women in the room, and "skinny" hardly matters if you don't have most of the other stuff, too.

I don't think most women care whether or not guy is noticeably muscular. In fact, a lot of women aren't into it at all. And I don't personally know ANY woman who considers the level of leanness of the guy in the OP's picture to be a requirement for "looking good."
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress

Duh, I love Santa.

Thumbs up for taking joke gracefully

Threads like these need jokes.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    loose the dogs of war
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    It is so hard to try to put a universal spin on this. I think more is expected of women, in general, because men are less forgiving on the physical appearance front than women tend to be. It's not enough to just be "skinny." You have to be pretty, have a great rack, a great *kitten*, great hair, great skin, perfect smile, be dressed like a hooker, etc. I realize that's a generalization and that most men reach a point where they're just happy to find a woman who doesn't look like a troll and isn't bat**** crazy. But I've been around guys when they're sitting around, critiquing the appearance of random women in the room, and "skinny" hardly matters if you don't have most of the other stuff, too.

I don't think most women care whether or not guy is noticeably muscular. In fact, a lot of women aren't into it at all. And I don't personally know ANY woman who considers the level of leanness of the guy in the OP's picture to be a requirement for "looking good."

Skinny hardly matters because it's an expectation. Moderate levels of body fat are acceptable if and only if they are very strategically placed.

Women by and large don't *really* care if a guy is muscular or not, but they won't point to a slightly chubby guy and say "he has a great body."

In terms of achieving "nice body" status - and ignoring approachability, dateability, etc - it's easier for women than it is for men, in general.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    I never participated in a spelling bee.