help need to lose 20 pounds in 2 months is it possible?

Options

Replies

• Tanicax2
    Tanicax2 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    i currently work out everyday eat around 1200 cals and do 60 min on the eliptical along with lifting weights. I wont give up if i dont reach my goal :) thank you for your advice!
    For your height and weight it is possible to loss that much, however it will be incredibly hard work. Everyone responds different to intake and exercise but you will most likely need to burn 400-500 calories per day in order to lose that much weight. That's about 60 mins on the elliptical or 90 mins of walking at 4 mph for me. If you keep your calorie intake between 1200 and 1400 per day you should be able to do it. I think that having a goal such as this is fantastic! My only concern is that you will give up if you only lose 10 pounds in that time. It has taken me a VERY LONG time to lose my weight. I averaged 1/2 lb. loss per week. That's only 2.5 in a month! So for me I was only able to lose 5 pounds in 2 months. Still 5 pounds gone is better than 5 pounds gained!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    i currently work out everyday eat around 1200 cals and do 60 min on the eliptical along with lifting weights. I wont give up if i dont reach my goal :) thank you for your advice!

I was going to say, given your current weight and height, that you had a good shot at getting there, but then I saw this ^^ post and noticed your start date, so it seems like you're not going to get any kind of big drop now that people often get when they start from water loss. I weighed a little less than you when I started, and I'm the same height, and I lost 17.5 lbs in the first 60 days, but I figure a lot of that was water loss. I was netting between 1250 and 1550 (probably averaging a net of about 1400), and all I was doing was walking, a little jogging, and occasionally turning on music and dancing in my living room.

How long have you been on 1200 calorie/60 min. of cardio a day regimen? How much have you been losing this way? I don't think you can expect to lose anymore quickly than you have been, and I wouldn't recommend eating any less or doing anymore exercise without eating back the calories burned (which I hope you already are - that 1200 cals is net, right?).
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    lose a pound a week and go to a concert in five months…

problem solved...
  • Iknewyouweretrouble
    Options
    bumpity bump bump with my hips..

and just a reminder mfpeeps..
    any reason to reach a goal is a good reason..
    because it gives a deadline toward which to reach..
    good luck OP..
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    With your current weight your body can probably handle losing 2lbs/week pretty easily but it's important to get a good understanding of how much you currently are burning (TDEE) and then create your deficit from there. I assume you are using an MFP recommended number which sometimes isn't very realistic for a sustainable weightloss approach that will result in your desired body. Cardio is helpful but it wouldn't hurt to incorporate some resistance training a few times a week either.

That being said, arbitrary deadlines such as concerts and birthdays and even weddings usually don't do much for creating an overall healthy lifestyle and achieving longterm goals. It's good to have a timeframe but make sure it's a realistic one and that there's a good reason behind your goals too.

BMR and TDEE Calculator: http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators.html
  • what_lola_wants
    what_lola_wants Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    If you can easily lose 20 pounds in 2 months and not due to sickness, it seems like you can also easily gain 20 pounds in 2 months time.
  • kaprem
    kaprem Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It most definitely is possible. I have lost that much weight in 1.5 - 2 months on a few occasions (some times, inadvertently due to stress or depression). The times that i wanted to lose weight intentionally within a short time frame, I would create a large caloric deficit and intermittently fast (water fast). I fast for health reasons, primarily because my stomach gets very upset when I make poor food choices ...the weight loss is just an added positive side effect. Like you, I am also aiming to lose the same amount of weight in a short period of time.

When I do this, my body gets very tired (my current BMR right now is around 1340 calories) so I take it easy and get lots of rest (sleep) on fasting days. The days that I do eat, my choice of food is generally steamed/raw green vegetables, boiled eggs whites...sometimes the yolk, too if i need a higher caloric intake, and protein source from meats and nuts. I eat a lot of homemade soups consisting of: veggies, and minced meat or fish, and I will crack in egg in there (just think of a fancy Chinese egg flower/drop soup). I eliminate fruits, sugars, and other sources of carbohydrates from my diet. My diet is very limiting and may seem dull and unappealing, but I love eating clean, wholesome food so I am very satisfied. My total cholesterol is 100 (just got blood work done). I grew up eating this way anyway. My husband was very judgmental and critical of my food choices because he thought I had a an obsession with my food choices...so I cooked and we ate American food, but I have been suffering from a lot of ill effects with the American diet (chronic candidiasis, high cholesterol, constant belly aches after eating out, weight gain, and a crap ton of other unpleasantness.

Anyway, you can drop the 20+ lbs within the short time frame with just your diet alone. I do believe in the 80/20. If you partake in fasting, you might want to visit your doctor and check your health so you don't suffer any adverse effects on your health. He/she can order you a blood work to check for any deficiencies with your vitamin and hormone levels and whatnot. Also, stay hydrated and drink lots of fluids. Good Luck!
  • Tanicax2
    Options
    I got seriously about my weight loss on the 9th of this month. So on January 9th will be one month I never eat less then 1200 calories I won't starve myself to see results

I was going to say, given your current weight and height, that you had a good shot at getting there, but then I saw this ^^ post and noticed your start date, so it seems like you're not going to get any kind of big drop now that people often get when they start from water loss. I weighed a little less than you when I started, and I'm the same height, and I lost 17.5 lbs in the first 60 days, but I figure a lot of that was water loss. I was netting between 1250 and 1550 (probably averaging a net of about 1400), and all I was doing was walking, a little jogging, and occasionally turning on music and dancing in my living room.

How long have you been on 1200 calorie/60 min. of cardio a day regimen? How much have you been losing this way? I don't think you can expect to lose anymore quickly than you have been, and I wouldn't recommend eating any less or doing anymore exercise without eating back the calories burned (which I hope you already are - that 1200 cals is net, right?).
    [/q
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Definitely possible....
  • Tanicax2
    Options
    this is a lifestyle change, not just for the concert. That is the next big event i was attending. I need to lose 70 pounds and wont stop till i get there. Since the 9th of this month i been working out everyday along with weight training make sure not to eat back cals from workouts or over 1200 cals a day.
    With your current weight your body can probably handle losing 2lbs/week pretty easily but it's important to get a good understanding of how much you currently are burning (TDEE) and then create your deficit from there. I assume you are using an MFP recommended number which sometimes isn't very realistic for a sustainable weightloss approach that will result in your desired body. Cardio is helpful but it wouldn't hurt to incorporate some resistance training a few times a week either.

That being said, arbitrary deadlines such as concerts and birthdays and even weddings usually don't do much for creating an overall healthy lifestyle and achieving longterm goals. It's good to have a timeframe but make sure it's a realistic one and that there's a good reason behind your goals too.

BMR and TDEE Calculator: http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators.html
  • Tanicax2
    Options
    thank you
    Definitely possible....
  • RunningMatt77
    RunningMatt77 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    It is my Friend and I am living proof to that. It all depends how hard you are willing to work for it
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    bumpity bump bump with my hips..

and just a reminder mfpeeps..
    any reason to reach a goal is a good reason..
    because it gives a deadline toward which to reach..
    good luck OP..

No. If a goal is unrealistic, it is not necessarily a good thing because it can lead to unsafe practices or major discouragement if it doesn't get reached, both of which can do plenty of damage to a lifestyle change.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I've only got about 35lbs to lose... and I lose typically 1/2lb each week. So.... if you're really close to your goal weight... i'd say pretty much your best bet of losing 20lbs that fast is to cut off a leg. You could go down to 1200 calories/day and work out like a fiend but you'd probably be really cranky and gain it all right back as soon as you go back to business as usual.

Good luck.
  • chunkyhoney78
    chunkyhoney78 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    with you being in the 220's it is possible. the best way to go might be paleo or low carb and tons of water. I notice that if I aim to drink a gallon of water my weight loss always moves faster and make sure you workout. Good luck and be safe
  • Phildog47
    Phildog47 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    This is NOT the way to lose weight.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I got seriously about my weight loss on the 9th of this month. So on January 9th will be one month I never eat less then 1200 calories I won't starve myself to see results

this is a lifestyle change, not just for the concert. That is the next big event i was attending. I need to lose 70 pounds and wont stop till i get there. Since the 9th of this month i been working out everyday along with weight training make sure not to eat back cals from workouts or over 1200 cals a day.

Taking in 1200 calories or less, working out 60 mins a day, and not eating at least some of those cals back would be starving yourself to see results....IMHO. What are you netting for cals then?
  • mteague277
    mteague277 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    not at all but that was just the next big event i was attending, i need to lose 70 pounds total so i want my goal to be 20 pounds before feb 13.

Because you have more to lose you can do this fairly easily for the first 2 months. Don't expect it to stay that way your entire weight loss though. It comes off a lot faster at first.
    As far as eating, make sure you're still eating enough. Eat too little and you will burn out quickly and probably not keep it off long term. It is better to lose 12-15lbs before your concert and keep it off than lose 20 or more and end up gaining it all back. Just never drop below 1200 NET calories but I recommend even a little more :) Good luck.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I am obese 5'4 221lbs

I started way heavier, but the first 20 came off in the first three weeks for me. I think about 8-10 of it was water weight. I cut to 1500 calories. Mind you, I was starving and too weak to exercise, but it came off.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I am obese 5'4 221lbs

I started way heavier, but the first 20 came off in the first three weeks for me. I think about 8-10 of it was water weight. I cut to 1500 calories. Mind you, I was starving and too weak to exercise, but it came off.

Just out of curiosity.... would you recommend doing this to others? Or in hindsight, would you have taken things slower, right from the get-go?