What was the last book you read?

Options

Replies

• CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    I'm currently reading Gaudy Night by Dorothy Sayers and Miss Pym Disposes by Josephine Tey (I love well-written and intelligent mysteries), and also vol 3 of Preacher. The book I most recently finished was the Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood. Would most certainly recommend them all (and I really, really need to get the last in that Atwood trilogy).
  • Cali_Chica
    Cali_Chica Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Class: A guide Through the American Status System by Paul Fussell

Pretty hilarious observation of traits and behaviors of different social classes in USA
  • sbbhbm
    sbbhbm Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    The Screwtape Letters- CS Lewis
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle

:drinker: Have you read Dance, Dance, Dance? Possibly my favorite Murakami
  • TexasOFT76
    TexasOFT76 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell. Amazing story. Read a few similar but this is most recent. Really hope the movie due out next year is as effective telling the story.
  • alaskamatteson
    alaskamatteson Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm currently reading that one. So far I love it!
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,022 Member
    Options
    I love, love, love to read, did I mention I love to read I have tons of books, book shelves full, stacks of books, boxes of books, and books on my kindle. I think it may be a problem

I just finished " The Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb. I am now reading Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn both awesome books
  • SashleyA
    SashleyA Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Sounds like some good books. Who has a book collection? Not 2 books but a book stand or shelve full of books?

Raises hand! We have three 6ft book shelves that are double stacked, plus a few smaller ones, plus a disturbing number of books that haven't found their way to a shelf/ are living in a trunk or by the bed. My husband and I also have kindles, which has slightly curtailed the physical book buying, but only slightly.

I have a habit of reading multiple books at once and just rotating them based on my mood and activity. I keep YA fiction on my kindle for commuting and the gym (I like to read on the bike). I just finished The Princess and the Hound and am looking at starting one about Helen of Troy, whose name is escaping me. I'm also reading Breakfast at Tiffany's and The Princess of Burundi right now and am deciding if I'll return to the Transylvanian Trilogy or not. I read a chunk of the Outlander series this fall, but don't think I enjoyed them as much as a lot of other people.
  • IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    07198.1L.jpg?98
  • AusAshMommy
    AusAshMommy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Sounds like some good books. Who has a book collection? Not 2 books but a book stand or shelve full of books?

OMG I have a TON of books - some on top of an armoire in my kitchen, some in boxes in the attic, several dozen on my Kindle, and plans to get many many more!

My poor books are in the kitchen waiting shelves to be built in the living room - they'll be two 10' tall x 16" deep shelving units...I have to extricate a book every time a new one comes in.
  • Link2Life
    Link2Life Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell. Amazing story. Read a few similar but this is most recent. Really hope the movie due out next year is as effective telling the story.

Did you read Fearless yet? If you did, what'd you think?

I'll have to put Lone Survivor on my list to read soon.
  • kenmunson333
    kenmunson333 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Global Crisis: War, Climate Change and Catastrophe in the 17th Century by Geoffrey Parker.

and before that,

The Men Who United the States by Simon Winchester

Doctor Sleep by Stephen King

Apocalypse Z by Manel Loureiro (translated from the original Spanish)

Mission to Mars by Buzz Aldrin

Map of Bones by James Rollins

Cyber Storm by Mathew Mather

Inferno by Dan Brown

The Martian by Andy Weir

Into That Forest by Luis Nowra

....yeah, i'm a prolific reader. Always have been.
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Currently reading: The Golden Age of Death by Amber Benson. It's part of a series, urbanish fantasy, light and easy to read. Fun.
    Just finished: This Is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper (who works on Banshee, awesome TV series). This is more classified as 'literary fiction' and was good.
    Also just finished: Misfortune Cookie by Laura Resnick. This is the latest Esther Diamond book, and they're awesome - easier reads and light-hearted, but also snappy and fun to read.

I have roughly 790 books on my kindle at this point - I think I bought about 40 on cyber Monday when they had a lot at 0.99 and $1.99.

Physical books -- I have tons. Probably 2-3K. 7 large, six-shelf bookcases from Ikea all stuffed full with three shelves also covered with books on top of them stacked the rest of the way to the ceiling.

I read mostly on my Kindle because of work travel and convenience, but I love owning physical copies of things too. Lately I tend to just buy special physical copies -- either it's the only way it is sold, it is autographed, or a special Subterranean Press edition which is too gorgeous to pass up, etc.

On travel weeks, I probably read 2-3 books because of all the hours on the plane and nights in the hotel room after I'm done working. On non-travel weeks, I still read about 1-2. It varies though, because sometimes I get in such a gaming mode that I don't slot in any downtime for reading, my spare time is kids, husband, dinner, Rift/WoW/Secret World. ;)

Also recently read (in last month): Parasite by Mira Grant, The Shining Girls by Lauren Beukes, Hyperbole and a Half by Allie Brosh, The Bohemian Love Diaries by Slash Coleman, the Infernal Devices trilogy by Cassandra Clare.

In the queue for the next few weeks: Medium Raw by Anthony Bourdain, A Certain Chemistry by Mil Millington, and Curtsies and Conspiracies by Gail Carriger.

I love reading. I love books. I love all genres. I tend to have a fantasy/sci-fi bent, but I love everything and have been in a bit of a memoir/literary fic mood recently. I've got a couple weeks off starting next week, and I'm hoping to whittle down my reading list considerably because I keep buying stuff, forgetting I have it, and then seeing it on my kindle and thinking 'damn, must read!'

Oh...and my autographed edition of The Princess and Mr. Whiffle 2 by Patrick Rothfuss came in recently - gotta read that ;)
  • sbbhbm
    sbbhbm Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

I have five bookshelves, all five are cram packed. I love to read. Classics, sci-fi, fantasy, mystery, poetry...
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Not includeing text books on Maths the last book I read was number 5 of the Mallorean by David Eddings.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    The Moon is a Hard Mistress by Heinlein.
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    "The Stand" by Stephen King.

It's never going to be over lmfao

I read that years ago and loved it. Then I got the massive edition with like an extra 100K words or something that King's editor had originally cut out. I decided I should reread it. Every single time I start, I start feeling like I'm coming down with the flu...all totally in my mind, of course, but I just always put it away and shudder!
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I just finished the Witches of East End series by Melissa De La Cruz ( Three books total)
  • asratka
    asratka Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    The Cosmic Landscape: String Theory and the Illusion of Intelligent Design by Leonard Susskind.