What was the last book you read?

Options

Replies

• verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Working my way through Kathy Reichs' series about forensic anthropologist Temperance Brennan (same gal as in the "Bones" TV series) ...... just finished "Bare Bones" and now starting "Monday Morning" .......

Also have a few books lined up on my Nook ...... fantasy stuff with dragons & castles ......

So many books ...... so little time :drinker:
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    The Fly Fishing Guide by Orvis
  • lknjohnson
    lknjohnson Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    great reads!
  • zagon_the_ultimate
    zagon_the_ultimate Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
  • krstark234
    Options
    Takedown Twenty by Janet Evanovich. The Stephanie Plum Series.

I'm a HUGE fan of this series! I cannot wait to read this one? How is it? I know people say the series is getting a bit repetitive but I never tire of her, I love to laugh and these books have me in stitches every time.

This is a great thread! I love to read and reading has been a favored way to relieve stress for years now, I even listen to books on tape occasionally on my treadmill, I get so lost in the story it makes my work out go by so fast!
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    "Outlander" by Diana Gabaldon - for the second time. It's a great escape from reality! Now I'm re-reading her second book in the series, "Dragonfly in Amber."

Love this series!!!! Each time the "latest" book ends I feel as if I've lost a family member...LOVE Jamie and Claire! I love to read and am currently fun reading Poseidon's Arrow, the latest Clive Cussler book. The last book I read was for fun AND recreation: 12 Lead EKG For Acute and Critical Care, by Bob Page. (Yes it was education/work related but also FUN!)

I can't wait! I've seen some of the outtakes and it looks like it's going to be FAB. The cast couldn't be better! I'm very much looking forward to it!

Did you hear that they're making a mini-series for Starz Network, to come out next year? I'm not sure how it'll compare to the books. :indifferent:
  • krstark234
    Options
    The Shack is one of my very favorite books, I cried and laughed, and have since shared this book with a lot of my friends and family. While it may start off sad (as hinted to by the synopsis on the back cover, no spoiler intended) if you can stick with it you will not regret it, it's a wonderful story :)
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Last book I finished: The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath

Currently Reading: A Storm of Swords - George R. R. Martin

Next Up: The Shining + Doctor Sleep - Stephen King (back to back, woooo!)
  • Iron_Duchess
    Iron_Duchess Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Currently reading: The Golden Age of Death by Amber Benson. It's part of a series, urbanish fantasy, light and easy to read. Fun.
    Just finished: This Is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper (who works on Banshee, awesome TV series). This is more classified as 'literary fiction' and was good.
    Also just finished: Misfortune Cookie by Laura Resnick. This is the latest Esther Diamond book, and they're awesome - easier reads and light-hearted, but also snappy and fun to read.

I have roughly 790 books on my kindle at this point - I think I bought about 40 on cyber Monday when they had a lot at 0.99 and $1.99.

Physical books -- I have tons. Probably 2-3K. 7 large, six-shelf bookcases from Ikea all stuffed full with three shelves also covered with books on top of them stacked the rest of the way to the ceiling.

I read mostly on my Kindle because of work travel and convenience, but I love owning physical copies of things too. Lately I tend to just buy special physical copies -- either it's the only way it is sold, it is autographed, or a special Subterranean Press edition which is too gorgeous to pass up, etc.

On travel weeks, I probably read 2-3 books because of all the hours on the plane and nights in the hotel room after I'm done working. On non-travel weeks, I still read about 1-2. It varies though, because sometimes I get in such a gaming mode that I don't slot in any downtime for reading, my spare time is kids, husband, dinner, Rift/WoW/Secret World. ;)

Also recently read (in last month): Parasite by Mira Grant, The Shining Girls by Lauren Beukes, Hyperbole and a Half by Allie Brosh, The Bohemian Love Diaries by Slash Coleman, the Infernal Devices trilogy by Cassandra Clare.

In the queue for the next few weeks: Medium Raw by Anthony Bourdain, A Certain Chemistry by Mil Millington, and Curtsies and Conspiracies by Gail Carriger.

I love reading. I love books. I love all genres. I tend to have a fantasy/sci-fi bent, but I love everything and have been in a bit of a memoir/literary fic mood recently. I've got a couple weeks off starting next week, and I'm hoping to whittle down my reading list considerably because I keep buying stuff, forgetting I have it, and then seeing it on my kindle and thinking 'damn, must read!'

Oh...and my autographed edition of The Princess and Mr. Whiffle 2 by Patrick Rothfuss came in recently - gotta read that ;)

I have Curtsies & Conspiracies sitting in my 'to read next' pile, along with Long Live the Queen, by Kate Locke and World After, by Susan Ee. Hoping to get through them by December 31st, so I can start 'fresh' on January 1st with a new tbr list :)

OMG! “Curtsies & Conspiracies” was sooo good! I love Carriger too. I just found her and I’ve read four of her books in the last three weeks. The first two for the “Parasol” Series and both books for the “Finishing school” series. She is just an awesome writer.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Ummm. I think the last full book I finished was Bridget Jones: Mad About the Boy. I've been trying to read the new Amy Tan -- The Valley of Amazement -- for weeks and am having trouble getting into it. And I'm currently reading Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone out loud to the fiance. It's my third time reading it and we're nearly finished.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Killing Kennedy
  • lknjohnson
    lknjohnson Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I just finished The Christmas Box by Richard Paul Evans. Now I'm onto The Shack by William P. Young.

The Christmas Box is by far my favorite Christmas story ever.

Currently reading: A Return to Love: Reflections on the Principles of "A Course in Miracles" by Marianne Williamson (when I can squeeze a few pages in-between textbooks for school).

Return to love sounds like an good book. I might have to check that out
  • Iron_Duchess
    Iron_Duchess Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I've read 161 books in 2013. My Goodreads Challenge was 150. Among the best:

The Goldfinch by Donna Tarte
    Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Powell (YA)
    The Fault in our Stars by John Green
    Son of a Gun by Justin St. Germaine
    11/22/63 by Stephen King
    Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver
    The Round House by Louise Erdrich
    The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
    Canada by Richard Ford
    Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein

I read 211 books in 2012, but only 111 as of today for 2013. I am 55 books behind for my challenge.:sad: My reading has gone down considerably since I started with MFP. I really need to get my act together! Good job Btw. I have to look into some of the books that you mentioned. Thanks.
  • sullrico18
    sullrico18 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Great thread! I recently read "Never Coming Back" by Hans Koppel. Pretty creepy.
  • dcaiani
    dcaiani Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Thunder and Lightening - Phil Esposito. Great book!
  • Hungry_Annie
    Hungry_Annie Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    My Sister's Keeper- book was way better than the movie
  • Joannesmith2818
    Joannesmith2818 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Long walk to freedom (volume 1) by Nelson Mandela - because I wanted to know more. I am now on volume 2!! It is a real page turner if you haven't had the chance to read it yet!
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Last book was Harlan Coben's "Tell No One" and I'm currently reading his "The Final Detail." I'm new to Coben... Loved the last one, but not really a fan of this one. I've got one more at home that will be the tie-breaker.