Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Self Conscious About Eating Habits... Advice?

2»

Replies

• hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    So, onto my next concern: how can I help him to not drink so much soda?! He's not fat but I knooow that drinking the same amount of pop that one should be consuming in water (70+oz) can not be good. Something new to think about instead of worrying that I look like a greedy gut.

So instead of obsessing about your intake, you will switch to obsessing about his? Without his asking for help? You must really not like this boyfriend very much--this is almost like seeing "How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days" on a message board.
  • Barbonica
    Barbonica Posts: 337 Member
    I guesstimated his intake today as per some suggestions of others, and he does consume a lot more calories than I do. It's astonishing really, to take in so many cals without even chewing! I think maybe he ate slightly more than usual but still, I never realized he drank soooo much soda.... So, onto my next concern: how can I help him to not drink so much soda?! He's not fat but I knooow that drinking the same amount of pop that one should be consuming in water (70+oz) can not be good. Something new to think about instead of worrying that I look like a greedy gut.

You might want to just leave that one alone, if he is happy with what he is doing. I think we all know that trying to make wholesale changes in our lifestyle because someone else wants us to is difficult if not impossible. Find out if he wants to change the amount of soda he drinks, and if he does - you can help him by substituting food with nutrients. If he doesn't, you might be opening a can of worms best left unopened.

You have said that he is very supportive of you, make sure you are returning the favor and supporting his choices - even if they are not the ones you would make. I speak from experience - 20+ years of an extremely successful and happy marriage. Some things we can change, and some we cant - the trick is learning which is which.
  • ciki90
    ciki90 Posts: 51 Member
    No, actually he always talks about how awful it is that he drinks so much soda an always talks about wanting to quit, along with smoking cigarettes. Every few months I'll encourage him to switch over to water or keep a pitcher of tea in the fridge, and offer him water all the time, but he always slips back into soda. I don't think I am going to "lose him" even if y'all see it that way. I never pressure him to do anything, no matter how much I'd like him to quit smoking or drink a bit more water. We've been together for almost 5 years now, so I don't think these small matters are going to end us, lol.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    I think it might be best to talk to a professional who can help you understand why you feel shame about eating because that's not healthy. Your body needs food -- eating is a basic requirement and how people experience hunger/eat is pretty individual -- if it kind of makes sense that you and your boyfriend have different habits.

As to soda, if he wants to quit drinking it -- he will.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    I think you should be worrying about your own health and happiness, instead of your boyfriend's soda intake. I know you don't want to hear it, but comparing your diet to someone else's in an obsessive, competitive way is a sign of ED.
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    You & your SO sounds so like me & mine. I have to eat (blood sugar drops) and get hungrier sooner than him. He'll go ALL DAY just sipping on his 2 lt and then eat 1 meal - and barely finish it. I won't eat "out" with him unless - or rather - until he gets hungry, which some days is more than 12 hours (which I hate because I get headaches & dizzy, then tend to binge trying to stop them).

I do know my hubs drinks ALOT of soda - at least a 2 liter a day, sometimes 2 or them (in addition to his energy drinks). A single 2lt of his soda is 1000 cals & 260 carbs a day, plus his normal food. AND my hubs had gone to E-ciggs for a year now, plus has a thyroid issue.

His thyroid issue is under control (OMG he used to have to eat 5000+ a day to NOT loose weight) and as I said, gone to E-ciggs, but he does a physical labor job that requires alot of lifting and walking (avg 23k steps in a 10 hr day). So yours may be the same.