Worlds Greatest Athelte ever?????

Options
124»

Replies

• dale_arden
    Options
    Rafael Nadal.

What???? Chaz, I know were Pals and all but are you even serious?? early day drinking Brother?? lol.. Ok, make your case........

Tennis athletes are under rated for their endurance and stamina, precisions, control, and mental game. With that in mind, in my mind Rafa is the greatest of all time in the sport, and in general Amazing. He has dominated all his opponents, with a winning record against ever peer, and is top in too many categories to list. Then there is his humility and humanity.

Couldn't agree more on the first point.. However, I have to say as an athlete all together, I find Pete Sampras better

Roger Federer > Rafeal Nadal
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options

Nadal has a better head to head record vs Federer. 22-10 from what I saw.
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,770 Member
    Options
    SECRETARIAT. No question. Watch video of his 1973 Belmont... no human athlete comes even close to what he could do.

I was at that Belmont Stakes (as a three-year-old). My dad would have saved his winning ticket...but he had the exacta.
  • dale_arden
    Options

Nadal has the overall head-to-head record yes, but Federer owns Nadal on hard surfaces 4-0 and Federer has more titles (77 to 60).
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Bannister (changed the world of athletics by doing the impossible - running < 4 minute mile
    Fosbury (changed the world of athletics by laterally thinking his way around the high jump)
    Usain Bolt - The fastest man on Earth
    Dave Scott/Mark Allen - both won the Ironman world finals 6 times each

Bradley Wiggins - perhaps not the greatest but well up there I am sure

The best in the world though goes to .....

**** and Rick Hoyt. Rick is paraplegic and can't walk. **** his is 65 year old Dad. Rick wanted to complete in the Ironman despite his conditions. So **** did everything he could to help him active his dreams.... by carrying his son around the entire distance single handedly - what stars.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    How about Kareem Abdul-Jabbar as part of the discussion? Here's a Top 10 NBA player of all time. Has won the most NBA MVP awards (6), and is the NBA's all time scoring leader.

Additionally, he practiced martial arts with Bruce Lee and also has a long history of doing yoga.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Too subjective, but, my favorite athlete is Lionel Messi.
  • mmedjjon
    mmedjjon Posts: 511
    Options
    Bo Jackson
  • mmedjjon
    mmedjjon Posts: 511
    Options
    Secretariat
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options

Nadal has the overall head-to-head record yes, but Federer owns Nadal on hard surfaces 4-0 and Federer has more titles (77 to 60).

I will throw in my personal opinion that you cannot be the GOAT in a sport with a losing record against your main rival. I give props to Roger on the records, but Nadal has had his number since day one and Roger has never been able to dominate him. My .02.

As far as Sampras, in Tennis I would put him at number 2, then Roger at number three.

But I put Nadal with the like of Ali and the true greats.