Toning

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    You all are jut so encouraging...let me clarify for you all...
    I workout almost everyday, lift weights, tone and cardio..I am not one of those people who sit on my *kitten* all day and expect a miracle cream! If none if the creams work then great..that's all that should have been said. I don't understand why there needs to be so much sarcasm on theses threads...people post for advice not to have smart comments..

All do and whatnot, you posted on the Exercise forum asking for a cream to tighten things up for you. What did you expect, really?
    I don't want a cream to do it for me, I love working out an watching my body change. I jut was curious if there was anything that would help me in the process..I asked on the fitness and exercise board because I thought there may have been someone who was in my shoes and would be able to give me advice.

well this thread now officially makes no sense...OP is losing weight, building muscle, and wants cream to tone up ...I think we just hit a trifecta here!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Lifting weights....

only if you put cream on the weights first...
  • jessikerz07
    jessikerz07 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    toning = building muscle tho
    Working on it..

No....no it doesn't.

"toning" is muscle definition. Tone is achived by lowering your BF%, uncovering the muscle that is underneath the fat. Strength training is beneficial here because it maintains as much muscle mass as possible so that while eating in a deficit you're losing mostly fat.

Building muscle is extremely hard, takes hours of training, eating correctly (caloric surplus), and testosterone usually comes in helpful. Being a female, you're really behind the 8 ball when it comes to building appreciable muscle.

Look into some heavy lifting programs to get started on so you maintain that muscle mass (add some noob gainz) so that when you lower your BF% there will be muscle there to give you definition.
    Thank you for the advice, I will look into it. I guess the main reason why I was asking is because I have loose skin from loosing weight. I have been gaining muscle, just want to firm my skin.
    Are you in a caloric deficit?

The reason I ask is because if you are, I highly doubt your gaining muscle mass. You may have gained some early on when you first started working out, but gaining mass on a deficit (especially any noticeable) is next to impossible, especially for a female.
    Yes I am using a calorie deficit, because I still have about 20 pounds that I want to loose..I am scared if I eat enough to gain more muscle I will get fat again
  • jessikerz07
    Options
    Lifting weights....

good one! :bigsmile:
  • janicebinva
    janicebinva Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Skin is slow to shrink. Give it 3 years and if you are still not happy you may want a surgical fix. If you increase the muscle mass under the skin it doesn't have to shrink as much but it still takes time.

This.

When people lose a lot of weight (and congratulations!), they often are left with a lot of loose skin. Whether and where you end up with loose skin depends on your luck with your genetics. Sorry, some peoples' skin is just more elastic than other peoples'.

It may shrink over time, as the post above suggests. But -- and this is hard to hear -- for some people, it just doesn't. Those people are left with a choice: either be happy they don't fill out all that skin anymore, and deal with it; or have surgery to remove it. I've seen the results of both. Although surgery leaves a scar (and may be expensive, and always a little risky), if I were in that position, that's what I think I would choose.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights....

Oh? That's what I've been doing wrong! Thanks! ;)
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Working on it..

No....no it doesn't.

"toning" is muscle definition. Tone is achived by lowering your BF%, uncovering the muscle that is underneath the fat. Strength training is beneficial here because it maintains as much muscle mass as possible so that while eating in a deficit you're losing mostly fat.

Building muscle is extremely hard, takes hours of training, eating correctly (caloric surplus), and testosterone usually comes in helpful. Being a female, you're really behind the 8 ball when it comes to building appreciable muscle.

Look into some heavy lifting programs to get started on so you maintain that muscle mass (add some noob gainz) so that when you lower your BF% there will be muscle there to give you definition.
    Thank you for the advice, I will look into it. I guess the main reason why I was asking is because I have loose skin from loosing weight. I have been gaining muscle, just want to firm my skin.

The reason I ask is because if you are, I highly doubt your gaining muscle mass. You may have gained some early on when you first started working out, but gaining mass on a deficit (especially any noticeable) is next to impossible, especially for a female.
    Yes I am using a calorie deficit, because I still have about 20 pounds that I want to loose..I am scared if I eat enough to gain more muscle I will get fat again

You might, but that's what you need to do to gain appreciable muscle. You don't gain appreciable muscle an lose fat at the same time unless you're morbidly obese. What you are seeing is the muscles that were under the fat on your body. Make sure you're lifting heavy, and as the fat is burned the more muscle definition you'll see.

As stated before as well, it can take time for loose skin to catch up with your weightloss.
  • jessikerz07
    Options
    Working on it..

No....no it doesn't.

You might, but that's what you need to do to gain appreciable muscle. You don't gain appreciable muscle an lose fat at the same time unless you're morbidly obese. What you are seeing is the muscles that were under the fat on your body. Make sure you're lifting heavy, and as the fat is burned the more muscle definition you'll see.

As stated before as well, it can take time for loose skin to catch up with your weightloss.
    Thanks again for your advice :)
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I workout almost everyday, lift weights, tone and cardio..I am not one of those people who sit on my *kitten* all day and expect a miracle cream! If none if the creams work then great..that's all that should have been said. I don't understand why there needs to be so much sarcasm on theses threads...people post for advice not to have smart comments..

What is "tone."
    ?

??
  • archaichoney
    archaichoney Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    If you want a cream that is good for the skin (but obviously won't "tone" you) look for CoQ10, shea butter and anything that will improve the elasticity of your skin. Do some googling and research. You'll likely pay a considerable amount for anything with good ingredients. I'm a formulator myself and most of what you'll find out there is crap. Best bet, learn how to make lotions yourself and add in ingredients that will help with skin elasticity. Other than that, time and keep pumping the iron.
  • LuLuChick78
    LuLuChick78 Posts: 439 Member
    Options

For future reference your friends list may be a better source to go to for questions such as this....or at least start there and see what reaction you get first. It might save yourself a bunch of butthurt. Just a thought. Good luck though.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    A firming cream...Don't act like you haven't heard of this stuff..

Actually, I've heard of firming cream but not TONING cream. So I was with Dav on the :huh: There is a difference between firming/skin tightening creams and toning creams. Maybe instead of being snotty, you'd realize that people aren't mind readers and will automatically know what you mean.

And here's a link you might want to review:

http://www.burnthefat.com/loose_skin.html
  • jessikerz07
    Options

What is "tone."
    ?

??
    not even sure why you aere asking what is tone..
  • ndj1979
    Options

What is "tone."
    ?

??
    tone - the signal that you get when you pick up a phone.
  • firstsip
    Options

What is "tone."
    ?

??
    tone - the signal that you get when you pick up a phone.

ty!! that answers my q
  • jessikerz07
    Options

Actually, I've heard of firming cream but not TONING cream. So I was with Dav on the :huh: There is a difference between firming/skin tightening creams and toning creams. Maybe instead of being snotty, you'd realize that people aren't mind readers and will automatically know what you mean.

excuse me for acting snotty when I am getting treated like an idiot..
    Thanks for the link
  • You all are jut so encouraging...let me clarify for you all...

Agreed.

But in all honestly your best bet is to avoid products such as those...if you have stretch marks though, I'd use coco butter!
  • firstsip
    Options

excuse me for acting snotty when I am getting treated like an idiot..
    Thanks for the link

???
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    prep h