Stronglifts help

Options
2»

Replies

• Harrisonsauntie
    Options
    I tried to do SL but I wasn't comfortable starting strength training without learning basic form. I have been working with PT and probably going to start wendler 5/3/1 in new year.
  • Harrisonsauntie
    Options
    If you're reading the Stronglifts blurb from the website, bear in mind that it's aimed firmly at men. Use it as a guide, but not gospel.

That doesnt make any difference. Yes check your form but there isnt any difference between how the sexes should train - except the weight on the bar which is always personal anyway.
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    If you're reading the Stronglifts blurb from the website, bear in mind that it's aimed firmly at men. Use it as a guide, but not gospel.

That doesnt make any difference. Yes check your form but there isnt any difference between how the sexes should train - except the weight on the bar which is always personal anyway.

I don't think I said men and women should train differently, did I?
  • tpmaxwell2
    Options
    Another way to get acquainted with olympic style lifting (stronglifts is based on these), is to try crossfit. If you can find a good box with good coaches, you can learn those compound movements with kettelbells, which are lighter, and then move on to barbells onec you have learned the movement. Just another one of many ways to get results.
  • Star_1234
    Star_1234 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies! Much appreciated and will check out all the links posted.
    I started with an empty bar and didn't add any weight until I was comfortable with the lifts and that my form was good. Now I only add weight when I stop struggling to get through my 5 sets. And I only add 1.25kg at a time.

I think you'll probably know when you reach your maximum, but for now start with low weights, get your form right and move on from there.

This!! is what Im going to do.. Get my form correct with an empty bar and start on low weights and add a small amout at a time.