Sequel better than the original?

Options

Replies

• stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    Doesn't Harry Potter has 1 story line trough all the movies (killing that other sorcerer?) Have not read the books or watched the movies, but that's what i always tought

Well the Harry Potter films are linked, as sequels are, but the films have stand alone stories, with a beginning, middle, and end, rather than the stories following on from each other directly. You could watch the third Harry Potter film, for example, without really having to know what happened in the first, although knowledge of the previous stories would perhaps be beneficial.
    In terms of the LOTR, or Star Wars, you wouldn't just watch The Return of the King, or Return of the Jedi, as you wouldn't really know who, what, where, or why in terms of the plot (although I guess Star Wars tries to get around this with the text during the opening of each film).
    This is why these "sequels" are often seen as better than their origin film, as the first is merely a "beginning" to set up the "middle" and "end" of the next two films. The first, therefore, doesn't have the climax or conclusion which the other films do, making it less enjoyable. This can be seen currently with everyone stating that the second Hobbit film is better than the first, as nothing happened in the first, it was just: 'here are some characters, watch the next two films to find out what they actually do'.
  • BigDougie1211
    BigDougie1211 Posts: 3,530 Member
    Options
    Army of Darkness definitely the better of the trilogy.

Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey

Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade

Hellboy 2

Back To The Future 3
  • BigDougie1211
    BigDougie1211 Posts: 3,530 Member
    Options
    Oh Oh Oh - Desperado.
  • walleyclan1
    walleyclan1 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    Oh Oh Oh - Desperado.

Good one!
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    in general the Fast and Furious movies keep getting better.
  • asimmons221
    asimmons221 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Aliens was absolutely better than alien.

^^^^^^^^ this!!!

Nah, they're both about equal in terms of how good they were. They are quite different in terms of what they were trying to get across though, so most people will probably enjoy one of them more than the other depending on their personal taste.

They're both classics in my book, but two different style of movies, and two different visions. Some people like one more then the other. I do personally like Aliens better though.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    The Dark Knight
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Blade Trinity

Blade Trinity was one of the worst films ever made, it was so bad it killed the Blade franchise!!!!

111.gif
  • lsorci919
    lsorci919 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Scary Movie 2
    Best out of all the scary movies!
    scary-movie-2-o.gif
  • Escloflowne
    Options
    I find this to be very rare but happened to watch three excellent sequels this week:
    Terminator 2 (by far the best in the series)
    Blade Trinity
    Army of Darkness

Any others?

Blade Trintty, great call

live_on_this_planet_futurama.gif
  • walleyclan1
    walleyclan1 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I find this to be very rare but happened to watch three excellent sequels this week:
    Blade Trinity
    Army of Darkness

Any others?

Blade Trintty, great call

live_on_this_planet_futurama.gif

Pushes you to Mars. I will admit that part of why I may like it so much is because I am in love with Ryan Reynolds and Jessica Biel and they both look freaking hot..but I love everything else about it too. Especially the crazy vampire dog
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Blade Trinity
    Army of Darkness

Any others?

Shut your mouth.. T1 is the best one.

Says you and maybe 3 other people in the world lol

One of the other 3 here...T1 over all of the other T movies.
  • Escloflowne
    Options

Pushes you to Mars. I will admit that part of why I may like it so much is because I am in love with Ryan Reynolds and Jessica Biel and they both look freaking hot..but I love everything else about it too. Especially the crazy vampire dog

tumblr_lqvhx7SE0v1qa2gm6o1_500.gif

You better not say you liked the movie Battlefield Earth because I may have to kill myself
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    Scary Movie 2
    Best out of all the scary movies!
    scary-movie-2-o.gif

serious.JPG
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    I think all the Rocky sequels were better then the original.