Is shakeology a ripoff?

Options

Replies

• KAS0917
    KAS0917 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I've been using Shakeology for a month now. My sis-in-law is a seller and gave me a free bag to try it out.

To the people saying this is not a protein shake: You're wrong. To the people saying this is a protein shake: You're also wrong. The shake powder has protein, vitamins, minerals, and fiber. It is not just one or the other, it's both. To the people saying this replaces a meal: Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. This is not Slim Fast. You're not supposed to drink Shakeology in place of having a healthy meal. You're supposed to add it into your normal food intake in order to stimulate your metabolism and digestion.

But what does it do? Well, the fine print says "results may vary" and it is very true. For some people, this product changes nothing. For others, it IS life changing. People have dropped fat, gained muscle, gained health, gained energy. Personally, I'm somewhere in the middle. My weight in pounds has not changed, but I have dropped 4 sizes all over my body. I don't feel I have any more energy now than I did before.

The reason I continue to use it is because my family is below poverty line, so we can't afford a lot of healthy foods. So long as I can get it for free, I will use it because I feel like I'm getting a lot of nutrition that otherwise would be void from my diet. I would never be able to afford it.

So my suggestion is to talk to people who have used it. Try a sample. There are free samples! And try other types of shakes and supplements as well. You never know what you may find or how it may help you. Every body is different, every product is different.

You're incorrect. It is marketed as a meal replacement shake OR you can choose to use it as a snack. If you google 'shakeology' you'll see a link to the website. The name of the link? 'Shakeology - The healthiest Meal Replacement Shake'.

If you're not dropping weight but you are dropping sizes, then you must be lifting weights. There's no other way that's physically possible. You don't gain muscle on Shakeology alone.

I would also say that if you can get it for free - then GREAT. Keep drinking it. It's certainly not bad for you. But if you're below the poverty level and have to PAY for it, that would be a terrible investment. You can certainly eat healthy on less money, especially if you have a family to feed.
  • quixoteQ
    quixoteQ Posts: 484
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with Shakeology except that it is overpriced and that it's hawked by sellers who aren't particularly informed about their own product. It's an unnecessary product, but it's a satisfactory meal replacement.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    All these shakes/meal replacements are a rip off. Nothing, but NOTHING, replaces a healthy balanced diet...certainly not a glass of toxic chemicals.

LOL. Do you even know what Shakeology is? Clearly not if you think it is a glass of toxic chemicals. Shakeology contains more than 70 NUTRIENTS… proteins, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, phytonutrients, adaptogen herbs, prebiotics, probiotics, fiber and digestive enzymes.

LOL, do you even...meal replacement? Slim fast has vitamins and protein and carbs and replaces a meal for only like 89 cents when you can find it on sale. Plus you don't have to recruit anyone else to buy them from you to get your "discount", or find and make besties with the seller who may or may not be an actual coach and may or may not return your desperate calls or emails when you run out of your holy grail of fitness and diet. You just walk into any drug store or supermarket and take it to the counter and pay. They even have bars that you can shove in your purse. ...and the best part? You don't even have to mix them with 400 extra cals worth of ingredients to make them "taste so good as long as you...".

Slim Fast doesn't have nearly the same kind of nutrients nor the same quality of nutrients Shakeology has. And you don't have to add 400+ extra calories to Shakeology in order for it to taste good. It tastes good on its own. It tastes even better with strawberries or a tablespoon of peanut butter which certainly doesn't add up to 400+ calories. I took all honors math courses in high school and college… so I know math ;)
    apparently, you skipped basic nutrition class though….

Hahaha no actually, I've taken many nutrition courses since they're required for my major. Not only have I taken multiple nutrition courses, I've gotten a 98 or better in every course. I have a 4.0 GPA so don't ever try to disrespect me and my intelligence. I know my stuff. You on the other hand clearly haven't done research on Shakeology. You're just pulling things out of your ignorant *kitten*. I haven't seen you post anything worth reading or any valuable information on this forum. So before you make comments on something you obviously know nothing about, therefore making an *kitten* out of yourself, I suggest you do your research Shakeology.

What research have you done about Shakeology that wasn't handed directly to you from Beachbody?

There is a user on here who broke down every single ingredient in Shakeology, based on the actual listed ingredients. Turns out, they are all extremely cheap, low quality versions of the stated nutrients, and most of them are well below the required dose to actually show a benefit, they contain just enough for Beachbody to be able to claim it as an ingredient for their marketing purposes.
  • Flyersteve18
    Flyersteve18 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
  • bbg_daryl
    bbg_daryl Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    If you're not dropping weight but you are dropping sizes, then you must be lifting weights. There's no other way that's physically possible. You don't gain muscle on Shakeology alone.

Well then I must be a unicorn cuz I don't even own a single dumbbell.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Well then I must be a unicorn cuz I don't even own a single dumbbell.

you don't lift and build muscle…????????

You must be the only person in the history of the world that has accomplished that...
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    All these shakes/meal replacements are a rip off. Nothing, but NOTHING, replaces a healthy balanced diet...certainly not a glass of toxic chemicals.

LOL. Do you even know what Shakeology is? Clearly not if you think it is a glass of toxic chemicals. Shakeology contains more than 70 NUTRIENTS… proteins, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, phytonutrients, adaptogen herbs, prebiotics, probiotics, fiber and digestive enzymes.

LOL, do you even...meal replacement? Slim fast has vitamins and protein and carbs and replaces a meal for only like 89 cents when you can find it on sale. Plus you don't have to recruit anyone else to buy them from you to get your "discount", or find and make besties with the seller who may or may not be an actual coach and may or may not return your desperate calls or emails when you run out of your holy grail of fitness and diet. You just walk into any drug store or supermarket and take it to the counter and pay. They even have bars that you can shove in your purse. ...and the best part? You don't even have to mix them with 400 extra cals worth of ingredients to make them "taste so good as long as you...".

Slim Fast doesn't have nearly the same kind of nutrients nor the same quality of nutrients Shakeology has. And you don't have to add 400+ extra calories to Shakeology in order for it to taste good. It tastes good on its own. It tastes even better with strawberries or a tablespoon of peanut butter which certainly doesn't add up to 400+ calories. I took all honors math courses in high school and college… so I know math ;)
    Apparently you didn't take honors avoiding-MLM-scams though...

I don't care about MLM scams. MLM or not, I know what it did for me when I was drinking it. And since I can afford it, why not?

Oh I guess we are implying it is fancy? What if I told you I can afford it too? But that I don't buy the mumbo jumbo about the superior quality b/c b.s.? What if I also told you when I find two similar items and one is easier to get and allows me to spend my money on frivolous shiny things I prefer, I go that route? Does that make me broke? Or a dummy who can't get into honors classes?

The fact that you think Slim Fast and Shakeology are similar is just amusing to me. Take a look at the ingredients in each. They don't even compare. Shakeology is expensive because of the quality of super foods in the product. Sorry but your Slim Fast is processed hydrogenated sugary crap. If you think Slim Fast is healthy, you don't know the first thing about nutrition. Slim Fast was even labeled as NOT HEART HEALTHY.

SLIM FAST: 190 calories, 6 g fat, 24 g carbs, 5 g fiber, 18 g sugar, 10 g protein.

MAGNESIUM PHOSPHATE
    CALCIUM PHOSPHATE
    SODIUM ASCORBATE
    VITAMIN E ACETATE
    ZINC GLUCONATE
    FERRIC ORTHOPHOSPHATE
    NIACINAMIDE
    CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE
    MANGANESE SULFATE
    VITAMIN A PALMITATE
    PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE
    RIBOFLAVIN
    THIAMIN MONONITRATE
    FOLIC ACID
    CHROMIUM CHLORIDE
    BIOTIN
    SODIUM MOLYBDATE
    POTASSIUM IODIDE
    PHYLLOQUINONE (VITAMIN K1)
    SODIUM SELENITE
    CYANOCOBALAMIN (VITAMIN B12)
    CHOLECALCIFEROL (VITAMIN D3)
    SWEETENED WITH NUTRITIVE SWEETENERS AND NONNUTRITIVE SWEETENERS. CONTAINS MILK AND SOY.

SHAKEOLOGY: (Chocolate vegan flavor) 170 calories, 2.5 g fat, 22 g carbs, 5 g fiber, 9 g sugar, 16 g protein.

Chlorella
    spiraling
    Hydrilla
    Blue green algae
    spinach powder
    barley grass
    kamut grass
    oat grass
    wheat grass
    acerola powder
    camu-camu powder
    pomegranate powder
    bilberry powder
    blueberry powder
    goji berry powder
    acai powder
    maitake powder
    citrus bioflavonoid
    rose hips powder
    maca powder
    astragalus powder
    ashwagandha powder
    cordyceps
    reishi powder
    schisandra powder
    suma powder
    ginko powder
    banana powder
    carrot powder
    orange powder
    pineapple powder
    raspberry powder
    strawberry powder
    yacon powder
    bifodobacterium longum
    lactobacillus acidophilus
    lactobacillus acidophilus DDS-1
    lactobacillus bulgaricus
    lactobacillus casei
    streptococcus thermophilus
    sacha inchi
    flax seed
    chia seed
    apple fiber powder
    MSM
    pea fiber
    quinoa
    amylase
    papain
    cellulase
    lactase
    lipase
    protease
    bromelain
    amaranth
    grape seed extract
    green tea extract
    natural sweetener blend
    cocoa powder
    xanthan gum
    chocolate powder
    guar gum and cinnamon powder

don't forget ..it also contains magical unicorn dust from ground up unicorn horns….

I thought it was from ground up Unicorn poop?? No?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Apparently you didn't take honors avoiding-MLM-scams though...

I don't care about MLM scams. MLM or not, I know what it did for me when I was drinking it. And since I can afford it, why not?

Oh I guess we are implying it is fancy? What if I told you I can afford it too? But that I don't buy the mumbo jumbo about the superior quality b/c b.s.? What if I also told you when I find two similar items and one is easier to get and allows me to spend my money on frivolous shiny things I prefer, I go that route? Does that make me broke? Or a dummy who can't get into honors classes?

The fact that you think Slim Fast and Shakeology are similar is just amusing to me. Take a look at the ingredients in each. They don't even compare. Shakeology is expensive because of the quality of super foods in the product. Sorry but your Slim Fast is processed hydrogenated sugary crap. If you think Slim Fast is healthy, you don't know the first thing about nutrition. Slim Fast was even labeled as NOT HEART HEALTHY.

SLIM FAST: 190 calories, 6 g fat, 24 g carbs, 5 g fiber, 18 g sugar, 10 g protein.

MAGNESIUM PHOSPHATE
    CALCIUM PHOSPHATE
    SODIUM ASCORBATE
    VITAMIN E ACETATE
    ZINC GLUCONATE
    FERRIC ORTHOPHOSPHATE
    NIACINAMIDE
    CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE
    MANGANESE SULFATE
    VITAMIN A PALMITATE
    PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE
    RIBOFLAVIN
    THIAMIN MONONITRATE
    FOLIC ACID
    CHROMIUM CHLORIDE
    BIOTIN
    SODIUM MOLYBDATE
    POTASSIUM IODIDE
    PHYLLOQUINONE (VITAMIN K1)
    SODIUM SELENITE
    CYANOCOBALAMIN (VITAMIN B12)
    CHOLECALCIFEROL (VITAMIN D3)
    SWEETENED WITH NUTRITIVE SWEETENERS AND NONNUTRITIVE SWEETENERS. CONTAINS MILK AND SOY.

SHAKEOLOGY: (Chocolate vegan flavor) 170 calories, 2.5 g fat, 22 g carbs, 5 g fiber, 9 g sugar, 16 g protein.

Chlorella
    spiraling
    Hydrilla
    Blue green algae
    spinach powder
    barley grass
    kamut grass
    oat grass
    wheat grass
    acerola powder
    camu-camu powder
    pomegranate powder
    bilberry powder
    blueberry powder
    goji berry powder
    acai powder
    maitake powder
    citrus bioflavonoid
    rose hips powder
    maca powder
    astragalus powder
    ashwagandha powder
    cordyceps
    reishi powder
    schisandra powder
    suma powder
    ginko powder
    banana powder
    carrot powder
    orange powder
    pineapple powder
    raspberry powder
    strawberry powder
    yacon powder
    bifodobacterium longum
    lactobacillus acidophilus
    lactobacillus acidophilus DDS-1
    lactobacillus bulgaricus
    lactobacillus casei
    streptococcus thermophilus
    sacha inchi
    flax seed
    chia seed
    apple fiber powder
    MSM
    pea fiber
    quinoa
    amylase
    papain
    cellulase
    lactase
    lipase
    protease
    bromelain
    amaranth
    grape seed extract
    green tea extract
    natural sweetener blend
    cocoa powder
    xanthan gum
    chocolate powder
    guar gum and cinnamon powder

don't forget ..it also contains magical unicorn dust from ground up unicorn horns….

I thought it was from ground up Unicorn poop?? No?

thats the silver brand..

the gold level brand is made from unicorn horn...
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    gave me a free bag to try it out.

So long as I can get it for free, I will use it

The first one is always free.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    This Shake is a game changer. Shakeology combined with healthy eating and a good workout will change your results for the better. I was half way through my first round of Insanity when I started using Shakeology. My results had kind of stalled and this pushed me to my goal. $129.00 for a 30 day supply gets a lot of people to say WOW, Hold up that's expensive!!!!!! People this is a meal replacement shake not a protein shake. YOU replace one of your higher calorie meals with this and it averages $4 a meal. You can't shop or go out to eat and get a Healthy meal for $4. You try this shake for a week or two and then miss a day and you can tell. Shakeology does give you energy and does all the things it say's, PLUS what other meal replacement shake or protein shake offers a money back guarantee if you don't like it or the results you get???????????

Per your profile, you recently became a Beachbody Coach. Yah..this doesn't sound like you're pushing a product...at...all. [/sarcasm]
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    This Shake is a game changer. Shakeology combined with healthy eating and a good workout will change your results for the better. I was half way through my first round of Insanity when I started using Shakeology. My results had kind of stalled and this pushed me to my goal. $129.00 for a 30 day supply gets a lot of people to say WOW, Hold up that's expensive!!!!!! People this is a meal replacement shake not a protein shake. YOU replace one of your higher calorie meals with this and it averages $4 a meal. You can't shop or go out to eat and get a Healthy meal for $4. You try this shake for a week or two and then miss a day and you can tell. Shakeology does give you energy and does all the things it say's, PLUS what other meal replacement shake or protein shake offers a money back guarantee if you don't like it or the results you get???????????

Of course I can make a healthy meal for under $4.

Shakeology is nothing but overpriced, man made goobilyglop
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

Per your profile, you recently became a Beachbody Coach. Yah..this doesn't sound like you're pushing a product...at...all. [/sarcasm]

An unethical Beachbody Coach? Surely you jest! You can report her at compliance@teambeachbody.com or compliance@beachbody.com for discussing the product and not revealing her coach status. Beachbody takes it seriously and will penalize her if they feel this behavior damages their reputation (at their discretion). Anyone who wants to report, feel free.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    You can't shop or go out to eat and get a Healthy meal for $4.

I assure you that I can and do. Otherwise I'd be spending nearly an entire two week paycheck on food for two people for a month, assuming three meals, no snacks, no cheats.

I can also go out to eat for the same price. One of my go to meals at a local restaurant is less than $8 and lasts me at least two servings, sometimes more. Veggies, grains, beans, spices/sauce.

OP, I have never tried Shakeology. I heard a rumor that they make a good tasting vegan shake and went to the website. I thought I had to be reading something wrong once I read the price. If I am going to pay $130 for a shake a day, that thing better be eating the fat off of me while I drink it.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    The only people who can say any MLM product is superior are those who have a financial interest in it. Which is strange as 98% of people in MLM lose money despite what they claim.

MLM's are set up so an overpriced product is marketed as something special..

They try to sell belief....not the actual product it self.

It is comical seeing all the MLM people copy and paste the same arguments over and over like it is an original thought.
  • 1ZenGirl
    1ZenGirl Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Here is the ingrediant list of Gold Standard 100% Whey double rich chololate for comparison.
    INGREDIENTS:
    Protein Blend (Whey Protein
    Isolate,
    Whey Protein Concentrate,
    Whey
    Peptides),
    Cocoa (Processed with Alkali),
    Artificial Flavors, Lecithin, Acesulfame
    Potassium, Aminogen Lactase

For Comparison here is the ingredient list of just eating real food, say a banana
    INGREDIENTS:
    Banana

LOL Yeah
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Here is the ingrediant list of Gold Standard 100% Whey double rich chololate for comparison.
    INGREDIENTS:
    Protein Blend (Whey Protein
    Isolate,
    Whey Protein Concentrate,
    Whey
    Peptides),
    Cocoa (Processed with Alkali),
    Artificial Flavors, Lecithin, Acesulfame
    Potassium, Aminogen Lactase

For Comparison here is the ingredient list of just eating real food, say a banana
    INGREDIENTS:
    Banana

LOL Yeah

tumblr_mxz67pYIZt1rf8j9wo1_1280.jpg
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    170 calorie serving for $4?!

You must be friggin kidding me? With $4 I could probably get half the a few days worth of food shopping for myself. What a rip off.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

What research have you done about Shakeology that wasn't handed directly to you from Beachbody?

There is a user on here who broke down every single ingredient in Shakeology, based on the actual listed ingredients. Turns out, they are all extremely cheap, low quality versions of the stated nutrients, and most of them are well below the required dose to actually show a benefit, they contain just enough for Beachbody to be able to claim it as an ingredient for their marketing purposes.

Yep. I was just going to post this.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    You can't shop or go out to eat and get a Healthy meal for $4.

Actually, I can go up the road from my house and get a couple of eggs, some fruit, and a cup of coffee for $3.75.
  • greenhudler
    Options
    Just throwing this little thought here...I get super annoyed with how they are called Beachbody coaches, which makes it sound like they have some kind of nutrition or fitness training. Not that some don't, but the majority of them do not and even though most of us realize they are basically just independent consultants...it can really pull the wool over the eyes of people who are new to things and are desperate to lose weight. :-/.
This discussion has been closed.