Is shakeology a ripoff?

Options
1235»

Replies

• haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Just throwing this little thought here...I get super annoyed with how they are called Beachbody coaches, which makes it sound like they have some kind of nutrition or fitness training. Not that some don't, but the majority of them do not and even though most of us realize they are basically just independent consultants...it can really pull the wool over the eyes of people who are new to things and are desperate to lose weight. :-/.

Not really much that can be done about it. The term "coach" can be used by almost anyone as it isn't regulated by a federal agency. In the same way, neither the Food and Drug Administration nor the Department of Agriculture regulate the word "natural" in terms of food and drink. The supplement and fitness industry is not something I want to pursue a career in any more (although you could say that being a law student is hardly better).
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Just throwing this little thought here...I get super annoyed with how they are called Beachbody coaches, which makes it sound like they have some kind of nutrition or fitness training. Not that some don't, but the majority of them do not and even though most of us realize they are basically just independent consultants...it can really pull the wool over the eyes of people who are new to things and are desperate to lose weight. :-/.
    That's the whole idea.

It's a scam.

They don't play nice, because nice doesn't empty the wallet of your victim.
  • jakeyuma
    jakeyuma Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    The level of animosity towards that one does not agree with is atrocious. Its almost as bad as listening to a democrat and republican argue. I am not a Beach Body Coach, I do not use Shakology, I have neither researched the pro's or cons of the product. To each their own. A simple response to the OP is either Yes its a rip off or No, I think it is good. In my honest opinion as a person trying to lose weight is, It costs too much for me to buy so I will go the regular rout. Eat well, keep a calorie deficit, and see what happens. So far with a gym membership I lost 0 pounds. Using Beach Body Programs at Home I have lost 63 pounds. Its not so much beach body but the programs sold I have enjoyed and put in a routine.

Eat healthy and exercise is the key. If you can afford nutrition supplements and want to use them more power to you. i never understood why people get so nasty on forums other than a persons true self comes out when all inhibitions are removed.

Play Nice, Eat Well, Have Fun

Marry Christmas
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    The level of animosity towards that one does not agree with is atrocious. Its almost as bad as listening to a democrat and republican argue. I am not a Beach Body Coach, I do not use Shakology, I have neither researched the pro's or cons of the product. To each their own. A simple response to the OP is either Yes its a rip off or No, I think it is good. In my honest opinion as a person trying to lose weight is, It costs too much for me to buy so I will go the regular rout. Eat well, keep a calorie deficit, and see what happens. So far with a gym membership I lost 0 pounds. Using Beach Body Programs at Home I have lost 63 pounds. Its not so much beach body but the programs sold I have enjoyed and put in a routine.

Eat healthy and exercise is the key. If you can afford nutrition supplements and want to use them more power to you. i never understood why people get so nasty on forums other than a persons true self comes out when all inhibitions are removed.

Play Nice, Eat Well, Have Fun

Marry Christmas

Beachbody coaches are always spamming the forums and it gets old. People get fed up with it and can be a bit 'blunt' in these kinds of threads.
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    To everyone who says you can't make a meal for under $4, this is just not true. My wife and I spend about $160 a week on groceries (includes other stuff like TP, fabric softener, etc, not strictly food costs). That comes down to around $80 per person, $11.42 per person per day. Assuming we ate 3 square meals and nothing else (this isn't true, since we both have dessert or snacks every night), it would come down to $3.81 per person, per meal, per day.

So, if we mixed shakeology with water, we would spend an extra $.20 per meal. Not a significant difference, but when you factor in things like the fact that these taste terrible in water (gotta at least mix that with milk or some type of milk variant), our grocery costs include non-food items, it just isn't worth it.

I'd much rather eat my shake made with ON whey protein, almond milk, and berries with some wheat germ. Then eat a banana, and some almonds. Which is my normal breakfast/mid-morning snack, than drink a shakeology shake with water.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I think the person who posted my slim fast ingredients in caps knew it was superior and hence the caps. it was like a subliminal freudian slip thingie.
  • justbeachy01
    justbeachy01 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I tried a 10-day trial of this, because my friend is a coach. I was skeptical, but she swears by it. I did this in Oct, and had been dieting since August. I had hit a plateau, and w/ shakeology I lost about 6-8 lbs (give or take). I didn't really like the taste, and couldn't imagine paying $120 for 24 servings. BUT, I lost the weight and gained energy.

I now do a different shake for bfast because it's cheaper, but I haven't seen the same results. Shakes can be good for some people. They are fast and I add a lot of fruit to them, which is great. I don't do them everyday, but they have become a solid breakfast most mornings for me.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Yes. It's an overpriced low quality protein shake.

This goes to show how little you know about it. It's not even a protein shake. It's a meal replacement.

so it's overpriced Slimfast.
  • Wwinkel
    Options
    The problem is that there are many people that don't understand eating healthy---like REALLY eating healthy. And even if you try and teach them, they just won't get it. I think protein shakes with nutrients are a very good thing because of most of the things that people lack while 'dieting'. I hate the word diet--but with all the crap that people eat to 'cut calories'....*shudder*. At least there are things out there like Shakeology to help them out some.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Posters, I wanted to let you know the reason this thread has been locked is due to violation of:

2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic in an existing thread, and post new threads in the appropriate forum. Taking a thread off-topic is considered hi-jacking. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.
This discussion has been closed.