I'm missing something...

Options
13»

Replies

• Bluizflame
    Bluizflame Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    ETA: From your diary it doesn't look like you are weighing your food. Food scales are cheap and very effective! Weigh everything, especially calorie dense foods like nut butters. You will be surprised how little 2 TBSP really is. :smile:

I do use a scale. If it say 15g for a serving, i measure out 15g and then put 1 serving into MFP. Unfortunatly, MFP doesn't have scale weight as an option when entering food like LoseIt had.
  • Bluizflame
    Options
    Just a suggestion but for the sweet potato mash....one day says 8 the other 10 and the other 12 servings.....Are you really eating that much? that seems really high in servings. Im not sure how the fitbit works but are you wearing that all day to get those high calories burned?

I made the sweet potato mash into a recipe. I then weighed it, and put that it made 50 servings... 1 serving = 1 oz. Then just put how many oz i had as a serving. So say it weighed 8 oz...i put 8 servings. That was the best way i could think of to measure it all out.

I've been wearing the FitBit 24/7 for over a year now. I take it off once a week to charge it.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    You want to know what you are missing ? You are missing a lot of protein. Most days you eat half or 40-45% of your protein, but unfortunately there are also days when you only eat 30%. That is not a good thing if you exercise, because you need protein. If you don't like meat and fish, there are many other sources that adequately provide those much needed nutrients. As several people suggested; I would cut down on some carbs ( especially if they are from bread or other flours ) and eat more protein . The carbs are just a suggestion, since the calories you derive from them, if eaten at a deficit should make no difference in weighloss. Of course you also have to make sure , that you don' under estimate your food intake and over estimate the calories burned through exercise
    Good Luck !
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    just throwing out some ideas:
    - what about other places you arent measuring? like feet, wrists, neck, face, hands, etc
    - the TDEE calculators are just estimates based on averages. that means that very likely individuals will be higher than the averages and lower than the averages. it's possible that yours is lower
    - maybe you arent burning as many calories as you think you are. once again the fitbits run on averages, if youre below that average then you calorie burns will also be lower
    - double check MFP databases on the back of packages when possible. i've found some really strange things in there and when they are wrong, it's usually much lower than normal
    - keep in mind that there is a difference between food that's weighed when cooked and weighed when raw. some of the database entries are good with stipulating raw and cooked but others arent

good lck and congrats on your weight loss so far!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    you undereat protein and fat practically 100% of the days I looked at....you have macros for a reason. eating to your macros will be better than just eating calories
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Just a suggestion but for the sweet potato mash....one day says 8 the other 10 and the other 12 servings.....Are you really eating that much? that seems really high in servings. Im not sure how the fitbit works but are you wearing that all day to get those high calories burned?

I made the sweet potato mash into a recipe. I then weighed it, and put that it made 50 servings... 1 serving = 1 oz. Then just put how many oz i had as a serving. So say it weighed 8 oz...i put 8 servings. That was the best way i could think of to measure it all out.

I've been wearing the FitBit 24/7 for over a year now. I take it off once a week to charge it.

I hope you don't mind my suggestion. I would never log a recipe that has " servings ", because only you know what that means. A serving can be in your case 1oz, it can be half a cup, a big spoonful , or half a plate full. So if I see your info in the date base, it is absolutely useless to me , even though I appreciate the time and effort you spend in logging. It is better to measure by weight in ounces or grams, or if all else fails, since the sweet potato mash is solid, also measuring in cups will do......but saying " servings " is useless for the data base, except for you. Sorry....:o).
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options

I was thinking the same exact thing, 12 or was it 15 servings of sweet potatoes... Seems a lot.

Dinner almost 1000 calories...

But is it ok to eat that many calories at once if u need to fulfill daily calories? Curious for own knowledge as I'm having trouble meeting daily calories... By hundreds more time than not...
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options

Dinner almost 1000 calories...

But is it ok to eat that many calories at once if u need to fulfill daily calories? Curious for own knowledge as I'm having trouble meeting daily calories... By hundreds more time than not...

yes it's ok. if you can't meet daily macros, eat bigger meals or more meals!
  • Sreneesa
    Options
    Ok ! Cool. Thanks.

And sorry op for hijack and thank you for allowing your diary to be viewed .

You taught me something .????
  • Bluizflame
    Options
    i fixed my recipe's so they say how much 1 serving is. Well, at least the last couple, since i can't remember how much for the past recipe's. I make almost all of my meals while i sleep. So tasting the food as it cooks isn't something i do.

What should my macro's be set at? Most of my carbs come from fruits & vegetables. Other than the occasional sandwich with the Thin Bread, i don't really eat breads or pasta (although i bought a ravioli for today's lunch because i was too lazy to cook)

*edit*

My FitBit & Body Media stop tracking after i leave for work at 945p. I don't have a base set up here, so whatever calories i burn at work between then and midnight won't show up until after i get home in the morning.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options

I hope you don't mind my suggestion. I would never log a recipe that has " servings ", because only you know what that means. A serving can be in your case 1oz, it can be half a cup, a big spoonful , or half a plate full. So if I see your info in the date base, it is absolutely useless to me , even though I appreciate the time and effort you spend in logging. It is better to measure by weight in ounces or grams, or if all else fails, since the sweet potato mash is solid, also measuring in cups will do......but saying " servings " is useless for the data base, except for you. Sorry....:o).

When you build a recipe with MFP's recipe feature, you can't specify units in cups or ounces, or anything; all you can do is tell the recipe builder how many people it serves, and it automatically divides the total recipe's calories, fat grams, etc. by that number and assigns the resulting amounts to "one serving." I always weigh the total finished recipe, less the dish or pot, and include the weight of a serving in the name of recipe (e.g., "Roasted chickpeas, serving = 1 oz.".)

Also, I'm pretty sure you don't see anyone else's "recipes" in the database, just entries they're created without using the recipe builder feature, because when I clicked the box to add one of my recipes to the database, I got a message asking for a lot more information (including directions how to make it), and saying "We are currently accepting submissions to the MyFitnessPal recipe database. Once we receive enough submissions, we'll create a recipe section where users can browse recipes submitted by other members. To submit your recipe to the database, please provide the following additional information."
  • CharleePear
    CharleePear Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    Girl I would be stoked if I lost what you had! It took me 3 months to see any difference and it's only minimal. I would say just keep going love, you are doing great! 4inches is crazy good for one month!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    i fixed my recipe's so they say how much 1 serving is. Well, at least the last couple, since i can't remember how much for the past recipe's. I make almost all of my meals while i sleep. So tasting the food as it cooks isn't something i do.

What should my macro's be set at? Most of my carbs come from fruits & vegetables. Other than the occasional sandwich with the Thin Bread, i don't really eat breads or pasta (although i bought a ravioli for today's lunch because i was too lazy to cook)

*edit*

My FitBit & Body Media stop tracking after i leave for work at 945p. I don't have a base set up here, so whatever calories i burn at work between then and midnight won't show up until after i get home in the morning.

fruit and vegetables are carbs. the only non-fruit and vegetable carbs I eat on a regular basis are honey and rice!

you could try an IIFYM calculator to work out your macros..
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Ok ! Cool. Thanks.

yes it just seemed very high to me. Now that she explained her self I get it....If you need ideas you can look at my diary as well.If you are off only by 100 or so you can eat something like a banana cpl tablespoons of peanut butter.....nuts ect
  • edryer123
    edryer123 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Out of curiousity are you also checking your sodium intake? There is so much sodium in everything. I have taken to not added sodium whenever possible.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I see days in your diary with thousands of calories added for exercise. Is that based on your Fitbit or Body Media or what?

I find that adding intense strength training can stall weight loss for months. It's water and the scale will eventually 'catch up'.

Ignore the sarcastic and rude dude. He's proven repeatedly he doesn't know what he's talking about.

I don't add any exercise myself. I let the FitBit add whatever difference there is. I just linked my bodymedia the other day, so it hasn't added anything yet. Not sure if i have to unlink my FitBit first or not.

You might want to look really closely at any future days the Fitbit adjustment looks huge. I've never seen thousands of calories there, or even more than maybe 200, though you might really be walking/moving that much more on some days.
  • Sreneesa
    Options
    Ok ! Cool. Thanks.

yes it just seemed very high to me. Now that she explained her self I get it....If you need ideas you can look at my diary as well.If you are off only by 100 or so you can eat something like a banana cpl tablespoons of peanut butter.....nuts ect

Thank you. I will.

I wish it was just 100 calories... its several... but I think I need to get some peanut butter, little foods with high calorie/protein, etc, nuts....

I did add in my exercise calories which I never do since I cannot even eat the daily calories I have. I'm going to have to eat earlier in the day to allow myself to build an appetite to fit my daily calories in or eat more high calorie meals. Its just hard as I fill up quickly. Like yesterday for late lunch/dinner had 5oz salmon and 2 cups of baked veggie medley(zucchini, broccoli, and cauliflower) and was full well into the evening. I had a ridiculous amount of surplus calories. I was almost going to go to McDonalds and order a quarter lb with bacon again at 600 cals and high protein just to knock a majority out. I did that a few days ago. But I was too full and figured no way I can add anything, not even my go to protein shake smoothies, banana, etc...

I need to figure this out. It boils down to me not making time I guess. Just not used to eating like this throughout the day. Seems like a lot. Funny to say that considering why I am here! lol....
  • Bluizflame
    Options
    I see days in your diary with thousands of calories added for exercise. Is that based on your Fitbit or Body Media or what?

I find that adding intense strength training can stall weight loss for months. It's water and the scale will eventually 'catch up'.

Ignore the sarcastic and rude dude. He's proven repeatedly he doesn't know what he's talking about.

I don't add any exercise myself. I let the FitBit add whatever difference there is. I just linked my bodymedia the other day, so it hasn't added anything yet. Not sure if i have to unlink my FitBit first or not.

You might want to look really closely at any future days the Fitbit adjustment looks huge. I've never seen thousands of calories there, or even more than maybe 200, though you might really be walking/moving that much more on some days.

The couple days it added thousands of calories were from when i had my settings at sedentary i believe. Or it could've been the couple days i took my kids to Skyzone (indoor trampoline) and wore an HRM the time i was jumping with them. I put those calories into the FitBit site.