Around 5ft? What clothes size do you wear?

Options
Hi all,
I'm just curious to see what sizes everyone fits into. I told my friend I think I will probably end up being a size 6 by the time I'm done with my weightloss. Currently a size 10 down from a 12. She said she doubts its even possible for her to get to a 6. (She's 5ft 9, curvy and big boned.) I'd just like to know what to roughly expect compared to other people my height (I'm discounting weight as I don't consider it to be as relevant).
x

Replies

• lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and am currently a UK Size 10 (US Size 6). I still have about 15lbs to go really so I am hoping I'll be a UK 8/US 4 by the time I hit goal. I may not even need to lose all that as I'm losing inches quite nicely by doing weight training.
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I'm in between 8-10 right now depending on the pants and the day. I still have about 20 pounds I want to lose, and my main goal is to get to a size 6. I think that's completely achievable for you to get to a 6. I'm 4'11 and don't have the body type to support getting to like 95-110 pounds, my goal is 120-125.
  • fairygirlpie9
    fairygirlpie9 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I'm in between 8-10 right now depending on the pants and the day. I still have about 20 pounds I want to lose, and my main goal is to get to a size 6. I think that's completely achievable for you to get to a 6. I'm 4'11 and don't have the body type to support getting to like 95-110 pounds, my goal is 120-125.

Agreed. If I weighed 110 I would look horrific as I'm naturally very muscly. Most of my weight is in my thighs but its mainly muscle unlike my stomach which is where most of my fat is. I think 6 will be very achievable in trousers size but may need to stay a size 10 in tops due to the 36DD's that haven't and probably won't lose an inch.
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2.5, weigh 154, and wear a (US) size 6 or 8 depending on the brand. I plan on losing another 25 pounds or so and will be a size 4. My goal weight is around 130. I am very muscular and would look too skinny at any lower of a weight.
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    5'2 weight 131
    size 4
  • huango
    huango Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    I'm 4'11", 118#.
    Depending on the brand, I am a size 2 in Old Navy Sweetheart (curvy) jeans, size XXS Petite in Lands' End (total vanity sizing).
    I'm pear shape and muscular: big hips/thighs, so I'm usually a small on top and possibly a medium on bottom (like pajamas).

If the jeans are for skinny people (meaning not curvy), I'd be in a size 6-8 (to get past my hips/thighs), w/ a big ol' belt.

Working on reducing body fat...
  • llbennett74
    llbennett74 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1 and 129 and I'm in a 6. Some 4's but mostly 6's.
  • tiffd1000
    Options
    I am 6'2 and fit into 14/16s
  • xbeth77x
    xbeth77x Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    This is really interesting to me, to see how we all carry our weight so differently!

I'm 4'11" and 120. I wear a size 6 or 8 (US) in pants and a 2 or 4 in dresses.
  • Juliane_
    Juliane_ Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' and I'm not there yet but I hope to reach the same goal. Size 6 sounds wonderful :)
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2.5, weigh 154, and wear a (US) size 6 or 8 depending on the brand. I plan on losing another 25 pounds or so and will be a size 4. My goal weight is around 130. I am very muscular and would look too skinny at any lower of a weight.

I wonder if something strange has happened to US sizes. I lived a while in the US about 35 years ago and I wore a size 5-7 and at five feet tall weighed at the time 47 kilos/103.5 pounds. Surely sizes have changed, because 50 pounds is a big difference for the same size range .
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options

Agreed. If I weighed 110 I would look horrific as I'm naturally very muscly. Most of my weight is in my thighs but its mainly muscle unlike my stomach which is where most of my fat is. I think 6 will be very achievable in trousers size but may need to stay a size 10 in tops due to the 36DD's that haven't and probably won't lose an inch.

Yeah I am built pretty similarly. I have bigger legs, not a huge butt but it looks WAY better now with squats and lunges LOL
    I've lost 3 inches(lloovvee that) in my chest so far and am still a 34-36D and then right under my chest is where my waist goes in, which is really small.. and then it goes out in the front a couple inches down for my chunky belly :laugh: I have a super small waist that never gets seen!
  • huango
    huango Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    I wonder if something strange has happened to US sizes. I lived a while in the US about 35 years ago and I wore a size 5-7 and at five feet tall weighed at the time 47 kilos/103.5 pounds. Surely sizes have changed, because 50 pounds is a big difference for the same size range .

Could be 2 things:
    1. when you state odd numbers, that generally means JUNIOR sizing, which are smaller than Women's. I wear a size 2/4 in Womens and 5-7 in Juniors.
    2. Yes, totally vanity sizing. I'm about the same size as when I first hit puberty and I was in higher number sizes then. I am NOT a XXS. That's what my daughter is since she is a stick and has no hips/thighs (yet).

Amanda
  • kaylorraine44
    kaylorraine44 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I'm just under 5 feet and weigh 134lbs. Depending on the store I fit in sizes 6-8. Kind of annoying - wish the sizes were the same everywhere!
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I don't consider sizes to be a good judge. I have a 0 size dress that I wore over the summer, size 2 jeans I wore on Monday, size 8 jeans I wore last Saturday... I have a few in between too. Same weight/ body shape/ muscle mass in all of those, just the way the clothing is made differs.

I'm 5 ft 123 pounds.
  • BL_Coleman
    BL_Coleman Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    5' 1 1/2 inches...I generally where a size 6 curvy. I am 136 ish, my goal is be 125 and size 4.

34/28/40 ( last time I measured)
  • knt6741
    Options
    5'1 112lbs Normally size 0 to 2
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    5'2

CW: 129

Pant size 0-4 depending on brands, but mostly 4's

Shirt size: small to mediums
  • sunshinenjjr
    sunshinenjjr Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1" 126 pounds. I wear a size 4 or 6 depending on brand name. I still have about 15 pounds to lose.
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options

As someone already mentioned, odd numbered sizes are for JUNIORS. I wear anywhere from a 9-11 in juniors. Because I'm not 17 years old I wear women's clothing. Not to mention that weight doesn't account for BF% and just because I weigh 155 pounds, doesn't mean I'm any larger than someone who weighs 120 pounds and is skinny fat.

With all that said, yes I believe that American sizes have changed to accommodate for a fat population. It makes people feel better.

Or maybe I'm just saying that I wear a size 8 to make myself feel good... because stating my size on a message board is such a self esteem booster. :grumble: