Do you stick to a specific routine, or mix it up?

Options
For those of you who have seen results from exercise/working out- do you stick to the same routine every week, or mix it up?

I tend to mix it up -different heavy lifting moves (mostly compound moves, though some isolation exercises while I watch TV thrown in), exercise DVDs (usually 30ds or kettlebells, but sometimes a yoga or 8 minute ab type dvd), a little bit of cardio (I have a step goal for every day that I do make, whether all by walking or throwing in some jogging), swimming, etc. I mainly do that because I get bored easily, and hate doing the same thing each week. However, I'm wondering if after the next month or so, it would be more beneficial to try to stick to a routine, especially as far as lifting goes. I'm having great results so far, but I am guessing the majority of that can be chalked up to what I've heard referred to on here as "newb gains"- going from not intentionally exercising more than once a month for a few years, to consistently working out for over 2 months has really shocked my body at this point, but I'm afraid that my hodge podge of workouts will eventually become ineffective. On the other hand, I'm afraid that a weekly routine will bore the crap out of me and make me discouraged.

What do you prefer to do?

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Hard to quantify ineffective or beneficial without knowing your goals....
    One thing is very clear though - if you get bored and stop then that's the most ineffective thing of all. :smile:

I mix up both how I do both cardio and weights, partly because I have inuries to manage, partly because I use small gyms where limited availability of equipment means you have to be flexible, partly because the weather intervenes, partly because the same routine every day/week/month would bore me to tears. :cry:
    I've also got a mix of different goals from fitness to strength to body composition. At different times my priority changes.

Cardio: cycling (long distance, hills, time trial), Spinning, rowing, elliptical, running. Even these are further divided into different intensities.
    Weights: Barbell, dumbbell, machines, cable, bodyweight.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    i stick to mainly compounds -squats, bench, deads, rows, chin ups, pull ups, etc - and then within that I mix up my routine based on my goals…I recently upped my intake so been going for heavier weights with lower reps and added in some 5x5 to my routine…other times I will go a little lighter and try to get in the 8-10 rep range….
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I mix it up-- but thats because I like a lot of different activities. I do lots of things: zumba, kickboxing, spinning, running, eliptical, body sculpting, etc. Just find things you like and do what you want that day =)
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I tend to stick to the same weight routine for months. It's the best way for me to make gains since I have the same thing to compare to week to week. I do very little cardio but if I do it's one of 3 or 4 things so yes, I guess I mix that up too.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    If all you want from your exercise is to burn calories, then doing whatever you want at random and constantly changing is fine, as long as it keeps you moving & not quitting.

If you have a goal like gaining muscle, getting stronger, faster etc. then you need to get a plan and stick to it so you can progress.
  • YouHadMyCuriosity
    YouHadMyCuriosity Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Hard to quantify ineffective or beneficial without knowing your goals....
    One thing is very clear though - if you get bored and stop then that's the most ineffective thing of all. :smile:

I mix up both how I do both cardio and weights, partly because I have inuries to manage, partly because I use small gyms where limited availability of equipment means you have to be flexible, partly because the weather intervenes, partly because the same routine every day/week/month would bore me to tears. :cry:
    I've also got a mix of different goals from fitness to strength to body composition. At different times my priority changes.

Cardio: cycling (long distance, hills, time trial), Spinning, rowing, elliptical, running. Even these are further divided into different intensities.
    Weights: Barbell, dumbbell, machines, cable, bodyweight.

Ooops, sorry, I definitely should have mentioned goals! Sounds like we have similar, ever-changing-in-priority goals. My goals are simply being stronger, feeling better, being healthier, looking better. While I do want to build up strength and muscle, I am never going to be a fitness model or do competitions. I simply don't want it bad enough to devote the time needed ;) I do, however, want to lower my body fat percentage, and get a little closer to my goal weight (which is now only roughly 8 lbs away). However, if I end up gaining enough muscle and torching enough fat that I'm confident in how I look before I reach it, hey, that's awesome.

In a similar sense that you mentioned on limitations (specifically the small gyms), I am sometimes limited by the fact that I work out from home, and am working with the equipment I have (kettlebells, dumbells, weight lifting bar, couple plates- hoping to get more plates soon). I know the obvious answer seems to be "join a gym", but I live in Hawaii, where it often takes 20 minutes to drive 3 miles. If I have to add 40 minutes- 1 hr just to get to my workouts, I'll never do them. I want this to be something that becomes a part of my lifestyle in the long term, so I have to be realistic about what will discourage me (which sitting in traffic 100% will).

Glad to hear from someone else that mixes it up, and looking at your photo, it obviously hasn't hindered you from getting a rockin' bod!
  • JLuckett05
    Options
    It depends on what you like. If you get bored easily then mix it up.

I've always stuck to a basic routine for months on end, with a couple of days doing different stuff. When I feel stale I start over with a different routine, trying new things to incorporate into another long-term plan, then go till I want to change it again. I guess I'm lucky that I like what I'm doing, and don't get bored with it.

If you do have specific goals you should stick to a good routine that supports those goals, for sure. Talk to a good personal trainer and even research for yourself how to get to those goals.

If your goal is just to continue to move and be active ( which is a really good thing ) then do what you like.
  • YouHadMyCuriosity
    Options
    i stick to mainly compounds -squats, bench, deads, rows, chin ups, pull ups, etc - and then within that I mix up my routine based on my goals…I recently upped my intake so been going for heavier weights with lower reps and added in some 5x5 to my routine…other times I will go a little lighter and try to get in the 8-10 rep range….

Those compound lifts are the basis of my work outs, aside from pull ups- I can't do one yet, but I hope to within the next 6 months. I started from a place of ridiculously low strength (booo). I hear about 5x5 a lot- is that 5 reps, 5 times?
  • ndj1979
    Options

Those compound lifts are the basis of my work outs, aside from pull ups- I can't do one yet, but I hope to within the next 6 months. I started from a place of ridiculously low strength (booo). I hear about 5x5 a lot- is that 5 reps, 5 times?

yes, five sets at five reps each ….you can keep the weight the same or try to increase..like if you are doing bench press …the other day I went 195# 1x5 and then 200$ 4x5 …next week I will go for 200# at 5x5 and then increase the weight again, and so on and on ..

Within that workout I will add in some lifts where I go like like 3x10 or 3x12 ..but mainly stick to 5x5 ….
  • YouHadMyCuriosity
    Options
    If all you want from your exercise is to burn calories, then doing whatever you want at random and constantly changing is fine, as long as it keeps you moving & not quitting.

If you have a goal like gaining muscle, getting stronger, faster etc. then you need to get a plan and stick to it so you can progress.

Truly, burning calories is one of the last priority things on my list of what I want from my work outs. Burning fat, gaining muscles, getting stronger, far exceed my desire for calorie burn. That said, any ideas for a plan for a total beginner with a couple sets of dumbells, an olympic weightlifting bar, and some weight plates? Through my tinkering with different moves and different exercises, I have found that different muscles are getting activated through the variety, but I know that is just because it's been so long since I was consistently active.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Truly, burning calories is one of the last priority things on my list of what I want from my work outs. Burning fat, gaining muscles, getting stronger, far exceed my desire for calorie burn. That said, any ideas for a plan for a total beginner with a couple sets of dumbells, an olympic weightlifting bar, and some weight plates? Through my tinkering with different moves and different exercises, I have found that different muscles are getting activated through the variety, but I know that is just because it's been so long since I was consistently active.

as you are already familiar with compounds..I would say build a routine around those…maybe something where you are hitting - arms/legs/back/shoulders/legs three days a week and then mix in some cardio two times a week….once you progress - say three to four months in - you can go to more of an upper/lower split four days a week with one cardio session….

something like squat/deadlift/dumbbell bench press/overhead press/lateral raises/arm curl repeat three times a week (m/w/f) with cardio on tues/thurs/...sat/sunday off or active rest…

maybe aim for 8-10 reps four sets each to start...
  • YouHadMyCuriosity
    Options

yes, five sets at five reps each ….you can keep the weight the same or try to increase..like if you are doing bench press …the other day I went 195# 1x5 and then 200$ 4x5 …next week I will go for 200# at 5x5 and then increase the weight again, and so on and on ..

Within that workout I will add in some lifts where I go like like 3x10 or 3x12 ..but mainly stick to 5x5 ….

Thanks! I should be near/at exhaustion on the last rep, right? I'm sorry for all the questions, I appreciate that all you wonderful people take the time to respond to my newbie butt. I just like hearing from those with more experience. I figure I can sound like a dumbazz now, and be much more fit in a year, or worry about others ridiculing me and be in the same squishy, out of shape situation. I'd rather sound like a dunce now ;)

ETA: Saw your last post, awesome, thank you. I have been reading about splits and hoping to get to a point where I'm fit enough to switch over by my birth day, with is about 4 months from now, so that sounds about right with what I was planning.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Thanks! I should be near/at exhaustion on the last rep, right? I'm sorry for all the questions, I appreciate that all you wonderful people take the time to respond to my newbie butt. I just like hearing from those with more experience. I figure I can sound like a dumbazz now, and be much more fit in a year, or worry about others ridiculing me and be in the same squishy, out of shape situation. I'd rather sound like a dunce now ;)

ETA: Saw your last post, awesome, thank you. I have been reading about splits and hoping to get to a point where I'm fit enough to switch over by my birth day, with is about 4 months from now, so that sounds about right with what I was planning.

yes, you should be struggling to get up last rep….

no problem on the questions…we all started somewhere..

you might want to look into starting strength or new rules of lifting for woman ..both are great books...
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I stick to a plan because for me it's the only way I can measure progress. Doing random workouts with various rep and weight ranges doesn't let me measure that. I mix up my cardio. Lately I've been doing more interval type training, other times I'll do a couple weeks of steady state, etc.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I mix it up but I've been doing this a long time. As a beginner, you're going to do better by having a more consistent routine than I do. Consistency is the key to better gains and improvements in form (which leads to better gains).

If you want to keep from getting bored, set lofty goals for the major lifts and spend the next year trying to reach them
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

This. If you're constantly changing your routine for no reason, then you can't measure progress.
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I usually keep some core moves the same (pull ups, deadlifts, bench presses, OHP, squat), and then mix up the accessory work every couple months. Switching from one armed dumbbell rows to pendlay rows, for example. Or not doing the pec deck and doing dumbbell chest flys.
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    Mix it up between running and lifting
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

This. If you're constantly changing your routine for no reason, then you can't measure progress.

^This

It's the difference between working out and training.

If you train, then your sessions are orientated in a cohesive whole towards improving some metric (or group of metrics). In the round, you can then judge the whole programme on how you are (or are not) progressing over a longer period (say weeks or months). One good or bad session has less relevance to the overall picture. You can then start to make intelligent alterations/substitutions to the training programme based on how metrics are improving (or not).

It's diametrically opposed to f***arounditis, which generally helps you spin your wheels and go nowhere fast and provides no structure and intelligent feedback on which way to take things in order to improve.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Alternatively - if you're constantly changing your routine for a reason you can still measure progress - increased strength (weight lifted), increased strength endurance (number of reps), reduced body fat, improved VO2 max. All these are valid measurements irrespective of routine.