Do you stick to a specific routine, or mix it up?

Options
2»

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    ^True, but she's not there yet.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    If all you want from your exercise is to burn calories, then doing whatever you want at random and constantly changing is fine, as long as it keeps you moving & not quitting.

If you have a goal like gaining muscle, getting stronger, faster etc. then you need to get a plan and stick to it so you can progress.
    This. If you're constantly changing your routine for no reason, then you can't measure progress.
    Alternatively - if you're constantly changing your routine for a reason you can still measure progress - increased strength (weight lifted), increased strength endurance (number of reps), reduced body fat, improved VO2 max. All these are valid measurements irrespective of routine.

But then you're in a programme, right? You are adjusting training variables over multiple sessions to measurably improve metrics. Still sounds like you're using targeted training rather than doing whatever you feel like on any particular day...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    My personal workouts, I stick to a program for a month, then switch it next month. Only thing I'll mix up is my cardio.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Shreddingit84
    Options
    MIX IT UP BABY!!
  • GradatimFerociter
    GradatimFerociter Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I do whatever I feel like. Working out at home with limited equipment so just focusing on building the habit and increasing my endurance/intensity. When I am fitter and have money for a gym membership things will be more structured.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Alternatively - if you're constantly changing your routine for a reason you can still measure progress - increased strength (weight lifted), increased strength endurance (number of reps), reduced body fat, improved VO2 max. All these are valid measurements irrespective of routine.

But then you're in a programme, right? You are adjusting training variables over multiple sessions to measurably improve metrics. Still sounds like you're using targeted training rather than doing whatever you feel like on any particular day...
    Some is random (injury flare ups, someone hogging the one and only rack/oly bar, time to train, weather). But you are correct that my mostly training is targetted to support my varied goals - but some of it is just purely for enjoyment or a challenge. Let's not forget we are supposed to be enjoying it!!
    I recognise that many people want or need the support of a structured program (especially beginners - good point Davpul) but personally I like variety and novelty.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    I mix it up meaning that each week I'll use different equipment or do different exercises. For example if one week I used the cables then the next I'll do dumbbells. If I used the lat machine one week the next I'll use the assisted machine and do different things on that for my back.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I stick to the same stuff because I'm a creature of habit. Changing routines makes me not want to do it at all.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

Some is random (injury flare ups, someone hogging the one and only rack/oly bar, time to train, weather). But you are correct that my mostly training is targetted to support my varied goals - but some of it is just purely for enjoyment or a challenge. Let's not forget we are supposed to be enjoying it!!
    I recognise that many people want or need the support of a structured program (especially beginners - good point Davpul) but personally I like variety and novelty.

I'm not saying that a structured programme can't have room for variety days, etc.

This is a bit like those debates between clean eaters and iifym-ers. When it comes down to it they often both do 90/10 or 80/20 but are arguing with each other about it anyway

A structured programme can have go-by-feel and same-but-different lift rotation, for example. Doesn't mean it's not structured....
  • asimmons221
    asimmons221 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    switch it up.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    If all you want from your exercise is to burn calories, then doing whatever you want at random and constantly changing is fine, as long as it keeps you moving & not quitting.

If you have a goal like gaining muscle, getting stronger, faster etc. then you need to get a plan and stick to it so you can progress.
    This. If you're constantly changing your routine for no reason, then you can't measure progress.
    I'll say this is half true. I agree for someone experienced, this is true. For a beginner however, a lot of those variables can be tricky to judge. For instance, if I'm front squatting 200 pounds, then randomly shift to the back squat and put up 250, does that automatically mean I'm stronger? In general, people back squat more than they front squat, so it wouldn't be a valid comparison. Unfortunately, as we see all too often on this forum in general, people tend to react to a single event, and don't have the necessary experience to place it into context.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    It depends on the time of year for me.

Right now it's cold and stuff so my primary focus is in the weight room. If I get out on my bike on a couple of nicer days per week then that's gravy....just trying to maintain some cycling base right now, I don't need to get in a ton of miles. I'll also do some spin here and there at the gym and cross train with other cardio, usually on Saturdays after my lifting session as that's when I have the most time.

As the weather improves into spring I will be on my bike a lot more...generally 5 days per week with varying mileage. I have the Santa Fe 1/2 Century Ride in May so I'll start putting in the miles come February and will ultimately build up to my ride in May. My program has me doing various miles per day with one really short ride, a couple of medium distance rides, and one long ride per week...It's really that long ride that I work on increasing every week...I try to increase my mileage by 5-10% of so every week and will go from doing about 50 miles per week to about 100 miles per week. That's about as much as I can take before I really start losing interest so I doubt I'll ever be doing a full century any time soon. I still lift while I'm doing this, but lift differently, particularly as I near the event...I can't squat and deadlift every time out when I'm putting that many miles on the bike.

In the summer I just like to have fun...I resume my standard lifting routine and dial back the cycling to a couple of days per week and start doing a lot more trail rides, etc rather than road riding. I also do some swimming and hiking as well and like to get out to play a little golf at least once per week. I'm not much of a runner, but I do like doing some fun mud runs during the summer.

As I move into fall, cyclocross season will be cranking up. Unfortunately I was injured this year so never was able to race...just practice...but hopefully this year I'll be able to get out and actually race on Sundays and practice a few days per week. It is a different kind of cycling...rather than long, staunchy miles, it's pretty much balls to the wall sprinting for 30 - 45 minutes in the mud and the dirt. It's a lot of fun and very intense.

Then full circle to winter and the cold and seeking the refuge of my heated weight room.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I'll say this is half true. I agree for someone experienced, this is true. For a beginner however, a lot of those variables can be tricky to judge. For instance, if I'm front squatting 200 pounds, then randomly shift to the back squat and put up 250, does that automatically mean I'm stronger? In general, people back squat more than they front squat, so it wouldn't be a valid comparison. Unfortunately, as we see all too often on this forum in general, people tend to react to a single event, and don't have the necessary experience to place it into context.
    That wasn't the kind of measurement I was suggesting - do people really compare different lifts? The measurement obviously has to be the same lift or it's apple & oranges.
    An example:
    I dropped out bench press from my regular routine for a month or so to do the 100 push up challenge - just for the challenge and a bit of fun. That didn't stop me from doing an odd set of bench press just to measure my progress (or in reality lack of progress!) in bench press at that time.