What do you do to avoid mindless snacking?

Options
13»

Replies

• dgroulx
    dgroulx Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    If I want something salty, I suck on sunflower seeds. I give the seed to my dog. Other than that, I like water with flavor drops to dip on.
  • Lorijp
    Lorijp Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I try to have healthy snacks around for mindless snacking. I have a drawer full of snacks at work. I also drink hot tea and peppermint tic tacs help also.
  • Sundaynz
    Sundaynz Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue each month, I either
    drink hot tea - and find that the heat of the tea makes me drink it slowly and the liquid fills any imagined gap ( because I think it is usually imaginary!)
    If I cave .. then I make sure I log it all so that I can sit and contemplate exactly what I did .. and not repeat my mistake and hopefully do better next time. If there are no results on the scales I want to be able to see why and take responsibility for it.
  • newlife888
    newlife888 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hot naturally decaf tea. (Pretty sure things that have been "decaffeinated" are really bad for you.) Not sure why but that really helps me with late night cravings. Sometimes I will have 2, and it takes care of the late night snack monster within.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Raisins (one at a time) or baby carrots are my mindless snacking. Special K cracker chips are pretty low calorie salty snacks. The sour cream and onion and the barbecue are my two favorites. There is a cheese flavor that is pretty good, too. Salted and plain popcorn are also good. I understand about snacking when working. I get semi-hyper when I am concentrating on work. The tiny bits of food time is the time I use to consider something.

I agree on the protein. When I finally upped mine, the mindless eating and carb cravings went away after about a week.
  • katekross
    katekross Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Chew gum, or go for a walk!
  • Mitzigan94
    Mitzigan94 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    chew your food 30 times
  • rypstorm
    rypstorm Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    chew your food 30 times
    I can't count to 30 and do my work on the computer at the same time! Plus, my mastication is sooooo efficient that the food is all but gone by the 5th chew. I think it has something to do with having to eat fast when I was a kid, otherwise my older brothers would get more of the food.
  • ZeldaMarooner7
    Options
    Carrot chips and some light ranch is hardly anything. :)

I just keep my hands busy. I hate having to reach for something while typing or drawing, then having my fingers all salty and sugary.
  • rypstorm
    Options
    drink hot tea - and find that the heat of the tea makes me drink it slowly and the liquid fills any imagined gap ( because I think it is usually imaginary!)
    If I cave .. then I make sure I log it all so that I can sit and contemplate exactly what I did .. and not repeat my mistake and hopefully do better next time. If there are no results on the scales I want to be able to see why and take responsibility for it.

Yup, I do log it all in and own my actions. Sometimes I'll even log it in the morning after. It makes me feel like a college girl doing the walk of shame,
  • rypstorm
    Options

Yup, I do log it all in and own my actions. Sometimes I'll even log it in the morning after. It makes me feel like a college girl doing the walk of shame,
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Love peppermint gum. Drink Snapple Peach Tea (diet). Fold laundry. Work on my picture files. Vacuum.

Put a kitty on my lap. Kitty won't let me get up when they curl up on me & I'm too much of a wuss to boot 'em off to get treats...:laugh:
  • rypstorm
    Options
    Love peppermint gum. Drink Snapple Peach Tea (diet). Fold laundry. Work on my picture files. Vacuum.

Put a kitty on my lap. Kitty won't let me get up when they curl up on me & I'm too much of a wuss to boot 'em off to get treats...:laugh:

My cats aren't lap cats. But they enjoy walking on my keyboard.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    I have that problem too. She has a deep need....think its cuz my lap is warmer when the laptop is setting on it. Instant kitty-warmer. :laugh: