What to do when the pizza place is right across the street?

Options

Replies

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Either: work it into your calorie/macro allowance.

Or: learn to control yourself and say no if it's going to make you break your calorie limit.

Personally I think you just need to grow a pair.... there's a food place nearby you wherever you are in the world, pretty much. You're going to have to grow up and learn to deal with it.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    Work on self control (not easy, I know)

or you could always pick a fight with the owner and get banned from going there.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    learn to cook and just avoid those places…

now every once in a while you can have pizza and fit it into your day as long as you are in a deficit…
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Work out more and have the pizza. Win win.
  • katekross
    katekross Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Type in a slice of pizza. Magic!
  • MrsBozz1
    MrsBozz1 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I'd just eat pizza and Chinese within my calorie limit. Problem solved. I don't see what the big deal is. 2 slices is around 600 cals. Big whoop! I eat pizza all the time.

This! And like the other poster said are you never gonna have pizza again? Fit it in to your calories! My family and I have pizza like twice a month. Just don't have a whole large pie, unless you work out a bunch :smile: It can work. It's just all about self control. Good luck!
  • lydiaannepage
    lydiaannepage Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I would probably just get some friends to leave hair on your pizza... not much worse than finding a random hair in food... maybe it will stop you wanting to eat there :laugh:
  • TexasOFT76
    TexasOFT76 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    If you know you'll splurge then ignore it. Walk a little further down the road to something that fits what you need. Having only one slice doesn't work for me. I'll eat half a pie. The walk is a little extra exercise too.
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    agree..just move.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    yum, eat it
    just go work it off
  • sloane70
    sloane70 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    On my block - as in the one that my apartment door faces - I have a bagel place, a cafe, a froyo shop, an ice cream & cupcake shop, a pizza place, a sub shop, and a starbucks. Go another block in either direction and that number swells to over 20 places to eat. I have figured out what I can get from where that is a good nutritional fit (a sub on thin-cut bread with veggies, lean meat, no cheese, and mustard is under 400 calories and lower in fat, for example), and I know how many calories are in the pizza that I still get sometimes (because my goal is to have a lifelong eating plan, not a starve-myself-and-resent-my-diet plan). Pick good options, and go with it occasionally :)
  • BlackandWhitePhotoOp
    Options
    Personally in my health journey, I have expeierenced that eliminating certain foods makes me binge on them later. There's several ways you can go about it: Only eat a certain amount of slices, or have a treat day, make sure you work out the days you eat pizza, etc.

I don't deprive myself pizza. I used to eat 4 or 5 slices of pizza. Now, with eatting healthier through out the day and drinking water, I can only eat about 2.
  • lebbyloses
    lebbyloses Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I agree with the cooking advice, and I general I agree that if there's something you want, it's best to find a way to make it fit your calories, but in this case I actually think it's best to just make those restaurants off-limits for a while.

I did this years ago with candy at work. I don't even like candy bars! But sitting next to bowls of them all the time, I tended to eat them because it was easy. Then I just decided they were not for me. Now I sit directly next to a candy jar that my co-workers constantly snack from, and I never ever have any. It's probably saved me thousands of calories. It doesn't make me feel deprived, because I didn't make candy bars themselves off-limits. If I really want a snickers, I can go to the vending machine and buy one anytime. I just have no access to this one location, because otherwise I would have to spend a lot of mental energy enforcing moderation and maybe I wouldn't have the energy left to make good choices elsewhere.

Do that with the pizza place. You can still eat pizza. You can make your own or you can even go out for pizza, or order it. But that restaurant is closed to you. Make it a firm rule, like it burned down and you're the only one who knows that, or they have a serious health code problem, or anything that hellos you decide that they are just not for you.

We have limited willpower, and if you have to use it every night on the pizza place, you won't have it when you need it. It's easiest to just set up your life so healthy choices become habit and don't require willpower at all.
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    or the choice of....don't go there..

but you could even set up a friday night slice, so you don't suffer if its that hard
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Don't go there. Or move. Or learn moderation. Or learn accountability.

The more you start making the tough/not fun but beneficial to your goals choice, the easier it will become. Can you just buy by the slice? Get a slice and a salad.

Cook in bulk like others have suggested that way you always have another quick option if pizza just isn't going to fit in for the day.
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    #
    First.
    World.
    Problems.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    dude, i live in brooklyn. there is a pizza place every two blocks.

stop trying to project your lack of will power to others.

you like pizza? i love pizza. but i've learned that having a whole pie isn't really all that great for me. so when i have a pizza craving, i get two slices of chicken and tomato, or chicken and peppers. that way i get a little extra protein and veggies. they're more filling with the toppings too. and i do this about once a week.
  • vivaldirules
    vivaldirules Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Someone drops off a batch of Christmas cookies on your desk and pleads with you to eat them since his mother made them.

Someone at work hands you a burger and fries and says the drive-through place gave her an extra one.

You show up at an event and unexpectedly there's lots of free chips and dips and drinks.

You show up at someone's house and they offer you a plate of fried chicken and mashed potatoes they just made.

You go shopping with more than enough cash in hand and walk past a display of 2-for-1 packages of _________.

Or whatever. It's all the same. For most of us who are not really poor, there's usually far more food available to us than we can or should eat and it's often so readily available and cheap (or free) that all we have to do is open our mouths and eat it. Or not. We need to decide if we indulge in that food or not. Do we need the fuel or are we just going to eat it for recreation? If it's for recreation (or to make someone who offered it feel better), how much do we need to eat to fulfill that? Or could we politely decline and save our bodies from the indulgence?
  • W0rthless_Her0
    Options
    dude, i live in brooklyn. there is a pizza place every two blocks.

Stop trying to rub in that you have all this access to pizza! Where I live there are churches every two blocks. All there is are little wafers and sacramental wine. :sad:
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Work out an order that'll land you a pizza with a ratio of 30P:30F:40C and go nuts.