"Why do I feel like crap?"

Options
Well, have you eaten any fruit today? Have you eaten any vegetables today? Have you exercised today? Have you drank any water today? If you said no to any of these questions, then it's no wonder you feel like crap.

I used to be depressed because I ate like crap. I work with a bunch of fat miserable witches. They drink ten tons of soda every day. Every day somebody brings in brownies, cookies, cake, soda, and candy. They think tomato sauce on pizza counts as a vegetable. This is why they are miserable, fat and sick. Well guess what, people? Your life CAN get better with better nutrition. Believe it or not, what you eat affects your brain chemistry. How the hell do you expect to be happy if you keep putting horrible things inside your body? Same goes for alcohol. Wine isn't a fruit serving! I, too, used to use alcohol to deal with my problems, but now I see that by treating my body right, and not drinking so damn much, I actually have less problems. Health is everything. I'm so much happier now than I was a year ago due to eating more fruits and veggies, exercising and actually drinking water (you'd be AMAZED at how much better you feel when you actually hydrate yourself).

I look better, I feel better, and my brain functions better. It's depressing to see all my coworkers destroying their bodies. They all have to go to the doctors for their cholesterol and stupid things like that. It doesn't have to be that way! Junk food is NOT an anti depressant. It will make you feel better for maybe a half hour, but then you'll go back to being upset. Exercise makes you feel amazing and ready to conquer the world. When you're sad, don't eat brownies, or drink beer Just force yourself to go for a walk. It makes all the difference. Love your body enough to take care of it, because it's the only one you've got. Love your body enough to take care of it and your life will change dramatically.

Replies

• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Completely subjective.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Well, gosh! Here I thought my depression was caused by hormonal changes due to pregnancy. HOW WRONG HAVE I AND MY DOCTORS BEEN!
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Tomato sauce on pizza counts toward nutrition. It just won't get you all the way there.
  • jensiegel39
    jensiegel39 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I actually really agree with this! I've been eating healthy and exercising for two months now, and my normally low mood has dramatically changed. People are noticing how much happier I seem. I feel calmer and more at peace and proud of myself for the first time in a very long while. I feel I'm able to handle stress a bit better and my mood, although not totally jubilant, isn't so low anymore. I think the endorphins from exercising really help, and I find exercise to be meditative and give me time for reflection.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    It's easy to see that now you've changed your lifestyle and have a basis for comparison. If you used to be like that, maybe you didn't realise then either.

I've never eaten particularly unhealthily, but of the odd occasion my husband gets Dominos and I have some, I feel horrible. Same if I don't exercise, it really affects my mood.
  • 5pmsomewherenow
    5pmsomewherenow Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I pretty much agree with everything you've said. Unfortunately, a majority of people are not educated about nutrition, and don't learn good habits from their families. It's a major challenge in the US, and the cost of healthy food is dramatically higher than the easy-to-eat CRAP that will make you feel horrible.

And, it's one of those things that you just can't "tell" another person -- you just have to do your own thing, and make the best choices possible for diet and exercise every day. More vegetables for us! And, the gyms will clear out, again, in March - after the on-slot of casual members climb back onto the treadmills, ellipticals, and back into the zumba classes in JAN-FEB. the parking lot will be free of congestion, again, in the early spring.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I'm really glad you've found something that works for you. It sounds like you're doing great and feeling better than ever. I don't think I would have the same results. All or nothing approaches simply set me up for failure.

What works for me is moderation. One night, I might eat a cheeseburger, fries and a couple beers and sit on the couch watching movies. Another night, I might have chicken and vegetable stir-fry and spend 90 minutes working out. I don't feel significantly different (better or worse) after having either of those nights.

I try to maintain a healthy balance in life, and that includes plenty of healthy eating and exercise, mixed with a moderate amount of junk, booze and laziness.

It's worked really well for me! I'm about to hit my two-year anniversary of maintaining my 66 pound weight loss. I recently had a wellness checkup and my bloodwork was 'impeccable' (according to my doctor). I think I look good. I feel great most days.

Also, I totally count pizza sauce as a vegetable serving. I make my own dough and sauce (from scratch) and I know a serving of my homemade pizza has more than a half cup of my homemade sauce. Why wouldn't I count it?
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I can relate to the part about co-workers. My co-workers' eating habits basically disgust me- yet I am always the one being scrutinized for not eating the massive amounts of junk that are always all over our department. It doesn't bother me that they don't understand my eating habits, but it's concerning to watch the way that they eat ALL day long, every time they pass the table where the junk is sitting they grab a handful and continue on, doing this probably 15 times a day. Many of them have blood pressure or heart problems to boot.
  • ZealousMissJJ
    ZealousMissJJ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Why put your energy in looking at what others do and critisising? I can't imagine that is part of a healthy lifestyle either.

Live and let live and just focus on what you need and want out of life instead of fussing over someone else's eating habits. My colleagues make fun of me every day because if the healthy choices I make. Instead of critising them or participating in the discussion, I just smile and answer that I happen to like it.

Maybe save that energy for yourself. Might contribute to your healthy lifestyle.
  • WVprankster
    WVprankster Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't anymore.I used to,when I was overweight and out of shape. Then I changed those factors (and made the ex-g/f an ex),and now I no longer feel like crap.
  • VixenInTraining
    Options
    Why put your energy in looking at what others do and critisising? I can't imagine that is part of a healthy lifestyle either.

Live and let live and just focus on what you need and want out of life instead of fussing over someone else's eating habits. My colleagues make fun of me every day because if the healthy choices I make. Instead of critising them or participating in the discussion, I just smile and answer that I happen to like it.

Maybe save that energy for yourself. Might contribute to your healthy lifestyle.

True...I just get really tired of hearing how they "feel like crap" all the time, they are constantly *****y and then they always make snotty remarks about how "why is SHE so happy all the time? Makes me sick!" (referring to me). I watch them shove junk in their mouths all day (I work in an office), they are always planning their next meal. At 9:30 am they are planning what to buy for lunch (as they stuff donuts in their mouths). It's like cows grazing all day. And no, I am not talking about people who eat in "moderation" with some treats here and there, or certain medical conditions such as PPD like the lady above mentioned. I mean people who constantly barrage their bodies with junk food and don't exercise with no mind to their health at ALL and then have the nerve to yell how they feel like crap and look at me with disdain when I tell them why I don't feel like crap. I tell them about my healthier lifestyle now and they roll their eyes and say "Well I can't do that! I ain't gonna become a health nut!" It's enough to drive anyone insane....
  • Tiernan1212
    Tiernan1212 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I work with a bunch of fat miserable witches. They drink ten tons of soda every day. Every day somebody brings in brownies, cookies, cake, soda, and candy. They think tomato sauce on pizza counts as a vegetable. This is why they are miserable, fat and sick.

It's depressing to see all my coworkers destroying their bodies. They all have to go to the doctors for their cholesterol and stupid things like that.

Congratulations on your success, and your happiness with your lifestyle! :flowerforyou:

While I can agree that making better food choices and moving more will lead to a healthier life, I find the extremely negative judgements of your coworkers depressing. Calling someone a "fat miserable witch" is hardly a happy and healthy mindset. Not one of us should be judging what others do to their bodies unless it is having a direct affect on you (example, your child, spouse, parent or other close family member). I see you have lost a lot of weight, and that is awesome, but I'm sure you would not have appreciated someone calling you the things you just called your coworkers back before you lost the weight.

Edited for spelling :grumble:
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    WRONG.

Yes, it might be why YOU feel 'like crap'. but none of those things cause me to feel so.

Exercise does not make me feel better - I do it for the end result, not some dopamine hit.

Your post would be better if you replaced all the 'you' with 'me' and maybe suggested it COULD work for others too :).
  • VixenInTraining
    Options
    Oh and as for the comments on the tomato sauce, I view mostly all commercial tomato sauces akin to ketchup. Most are just loaded with sugar and sodium. I try to find the organic kind with no added sugars, or just make my own. Just my opinion :smile: When all the "veggies' these ladies get is the sauce on their Dominos or pizza hut pizza (loaded with extra cheese, pepperoni and sausage) I wouldnt count it as a veggie serving :laugh:
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I work with a bunch of fat miserable witches.

Love this imagery. I just spent 5 minutes imagining a whole bunch of different permutations of bunches of fat miserable witches. :smile:

I'm really glad you've found something that works for you. It sounds like you're doing great and feeling better than ever. I don't think I would have the same results. All or nothing approaches simply set me up for failure.

What works for me is moderation. One night, I might eat a cheeseburger, fries and a couple beers and sit on the couch watching movies. Another night, I might have chicken and vegetable stir-fry and spend 90 minutes working out. I don't feel significantly different (better or worse) after having either of those nights.

I try to maintain a healthy balance in life, and that includes plenty of healthy eating and exercise, mixed with a moderate amount of junk, booze and laziness.

It's worked really well for me! I'm about to hit my two-year anniversary of maintaining my 66 pound weight loss. I recently had a wellness checkup and my bloodwork was 'impeccable' (according to my doctor). I think I look good. I feel great most days.

Also, I totally count pizza sauce as a vegetable serving. I make my own dough and sauce (from scratch) and I know a serving of my homemade pizza has more than a half cup of my homemade sauce. Why wouldn't I count it?

Very, very well said! :drinker:
  • VixenInTraining
    Options
    I work with a bunch of fat miserable witches. They drink ten tons of soda every day. Every day somebody brings in brownies, cookies, cake, soda, and candy. They think tomato sauce on pizza counts as a vegetable. This is why they are miserable, fat and sick.

It's depressing to see all my coworkers destroying their bodies. They all have to go to the doctors for their cholesterol and stupid things like that.

Congratulations on your success, and your happiness with your lifestyle! :flowerforyou:

While I can agree that making better food choices and moving more will lead to a healthier life, I find the extremely negative judgements of your coworkers depressing. Calling someone a "fat miserable witch" is hardly a happy and healthy mindset. Not one of us should be judging what others do to their bodies unless it is having a direct affect on you (example, your child, spouse, parent or other close family member). I see you have lost a lot of weight, and that is awesome, but I'm sure you would not have appreciated someone calling you the things you just called your coworkers back before you lost the weight.

Edited for spelling :grumble:

I am not calling them names or judging them for their weight or appearance. I made the negative remarks in response to THEIR nasty attitudes! I have no problem with overweight individuals who are happy with themselves, or overweight people trying to get healthy. I have a problem with severely overweight people yelling screaming ranting and raving all day, about how life sucks and this and that and they wish they could walk a flight of stairs while shoving a bag of cookies in their mouth!!! THAT's what I have a problem with!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I agree with the basis of this thread: I do firmly believe that folks should eat a plant based, whole foods diet. Folks really *should* stop mindlessly eating foods with HFCS , and tons of other added sugars. Folks *should* exercise, and eat right.

That said: attitude is important as well. Perhaps yours could be your next goal? You seem quite angry and quite negative.
  • ZealousMissJJ
    ZealousMissJJ Posts: 454 Member
    Options

True...I just get really tired of hearing how they "feel like crap" all the time, they are constantly *****y and then they always make snotty remarks about how "why is SHE so happy all the time? Makes me sick!" (referring to me). I watch them shove junk in their mouths all day (I work in an office), they are always planning their next meal. At 9:30 am they are planning what to buy for lunch (as they stuff donuts in their mouths). It's like cows grazing all day. And no, I am not talking about people who eat in "moderation" with some treats here and there, or certain medical conditions such as PPD like the lady above mentioned. I mean people who constantly barrage their bodies with junk food and don't exercise with no mind to their health at ALL and then have the nerve to yell how they feel like crap and look at me with disdain when I tell them why I don't feel like crap. I tell them about my healthier lifestyle now and they roll their eyes and say "Well I can't do that! I ain't gonna become a health nut!" It's enough to drive anyone insane....

Baby, I know what you're talking about. But seriousely, this is for YOU. Let the comments slide of your back like water from a duck. You can't change people, they have to WANT to change themselves.

Just keep going and you'll probably inspire some people along the way :).

Edited to add: I know what it's like to be so fired up. My mom was diagnosed with cancer but she still continued smoking, drinking and eating poorly. I watched her die slowly and there was nothing I could do. I wanted so badly for her to try and change her ways, but that's impossible. People have to WANT to change.
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I commend you for the changes you've made in your life. I'm just wondering if, since you've been able to lose 93 pounds, did you put on that weight by doing exactly what your co-workers are doing at the present? If so, then why be so harsh about their habits? Not everyone comes to the point of being able to change those habits at the same time and you're fortunate that you've been able to get there first. I feel a bit sad for others who are where I used to be...saying a prayer that they will find the inner strength to help themselves and I always am happy to answer their questions when asked. I've been there and know how many of them feel deep inside. Disdain for them is never a part of the equation.
  • VixenInTraining
    Options
    I agree with the basis of this thread: I do firmly believe that folks should eat a plant based, whole foods diet. Folks really *should* stop mindlessly eating foods with HFCS , and tons of other added sugars. Folks *should* exercise, and eat right.

That said: attitude is important as well. Perhaps yours could be your next goal? You seem quite angry and quite negative.

LOL....well I don't say this to any of their faces, in fact I don't let on at all that it bothers me. I tell them about what works for me with a smile on my face. I don't respond to their nastiness. I just posted it on here because I needed to get it out. I guess I ranted and it came out in a negative fashion. I apologize. Normally I am not a negative person. In fact I am 99% of the time a happy person! So happy that it enrages everyone around me :laugh: