What's your Christmas dinner?

Options
nightengale7
nightengale7 Posts: 563 Member
I love cooking special meals for the holidays, and I try to change it up a little every year so we aren't eating the same thing every year. This year I'm making individual beef wellingtons with Enlish creamed peas and herb roasted fingerling potatoes. I haven't figured out dessert yet but it will probably be something simple. What will be on your table this Christmas?
th?id=H.4521682670127566&pid=15.1

Replies

• EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    We are very non-traditional. Take out Pizza or Chinese is our Christmas tradition, always made special with an appetizer of Jumbo Shrimp Cocktail and good beer to go along with, local micro brews now. Sounds so odd, I know. Growing up, mom was a nurse and chose to work Christmas so she could have New Year's (Our big family celebration) and Opening Day of Baseball season off. (She is a rabid fan.) We always celebrated on Christmas Eve. Still a healthcare family (I am a medic) and have continued the tradition. This year it will be Chinese, much more friendly to my dietary life style...heavier on the veggies and lean protein, lighter on the sauces. Sounds crazy, but I couldn't imagine doing it any other way.
  • Erin_goBrahScience
    Erin_goBrahScience Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    Can I come over to dinner?
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I'm preparing a traditional turkey dinner with all the fixings. Can't wait!
  • bloominheck
    bloominheck Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Ham....:ohwell:
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Ham....:ohwell:

this
  • AusAshMommy
    AusAshMommy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    We're still in the development stage as well

But starting with a Ham, Mashed Potatoes...and from there we're still deciding
    My son decided on Red Velvet cake for dessert

As a kid Ham was traditional w/my Grandma on Christmas day, on Christmas Eve we'd head to my Mom's parents place and her Step-Mother (the only Grandma I have on that side so she's just another Grandma to me) would make this Red Wine Beef Roast that is to DIE FOR! But we haven't done that dinner in years as my Grandpa has gotten older and has had a couple of strokes since...so sad wish I could see them this year for Christmas...

So that's where we're at for now...
  • Iron_Duchess
    Iron_Duchess Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Traditional Puerto Rican Christmas dinner. Arroz con gandules (rice and pigeon peas), Pernil (pork picnic), pasteles (like tamales), green salad, green bananas, tembleque (coconut custard), flan, and arroz con dulce (like rice pudding.) Oh, and of course the coquito ( coconut, evaporated milk, and rum drink.)
  • ActiveGuy81
    ActiveGuy81 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Seafood Gumbo
  • Marcia315
    Marcia315 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Prime Rib. Not sure what else.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    For the past 25 years, it has been traditional. This year, because everyone has scheduling conflicts, we are hosting Chrismas Brunch.

I'm making Ham, Sausage, Hash Browns, Spinach Muffin Cups, Scrambled Eggs and a Quiche.

My daughters and friends will bring appetizers, Mimosa Ingredients and fruit.

I'll make a big batch of Hot Buttered Rum too.

I'll miss the Turkey and dressing, so I am going to make Turkey and Dressing Egg Rolls with a Cranberry Jalapeno Dipping Sauce.

Going to have a very small, very late Christmas Dinner with just my wife and youngest daughter. Roasting a Chicken.
  • awtume9
    awtume9 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    My dad makes duck every year, and it's so good! But we are going to my boyfriend's family's house this year, who knows what they will make. I sure will miss that duck though!
  • crazie4lulu
    crazie4lulu Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Lasangna.....
  • heylookitsval
    heylookitsval Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    Probably a pizza we picked up the night before...my family sucks.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    We traditionally have a prime rib roast with some kind of potato and some kind of veg...my mom usually makes this really awesome spring mix salad with pomegranate and pears and a pomegranate vinaigrette and tops it with goat cheese. I usually cook the roast and my wife and mom work on the sides.

we also usually have a big Christmas Eve open house at our house where friends and family can pop in for a drink and some posole and tamales but we're going to skip it this year due to some unforeseen events.
  • kiwigal41
    kiwigal41 Posts: 1,059
    Options
    turkey, mashed potatoes, peas, carrots, broccoli, gravy......all carefully weighed and counted

no breadroll....no dessert....

one glass of wine.....measured
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    We are having two informal Christmases this year, with family in different cities. First one will probably be pizza and cupcakes. The other will be whatever the in-laws decide to do when we are there. For us, the people and the fun are more the focus.
  • MissKalhan
    MissKalhan Posts: 2,282 Member
    Options
    Traditional for my family is a big brunch with my mom. Eggs, bacon, waffles and eggnog. Dinner is with my Dad's side, my grandma goes overboard with the traditional food. Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, mashed turnips(Pretty sure I am one of two in the family that enjoy this though), mixed veggies and for dessert is usually cheesecake or christmas cookies.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    My hubby has ordered some racks of lamb from our local butcher, but the remainder of the menu is TBD. I know it's going to be yummy though!!!
  • PSULions2008
    Options
    turkey, mashed potatoes, peas, carrots, broccoli, gravy......all carefully weighed and counted

no breadroll....no dessert....

one glass of wine.....measured

One day isn't gonna kill ya! Geesh.
  • kiwigal41
    kiwigal41 Posts: 1,059
    Options
    psulions.....more than likely not.......but I'm not really into xmas so I'm not making a big deal out of the dinner....:)...