A word to all about sexism.

13»

Replies

• eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    I dont really get the point in this post. In a nutshell, it's like saying

"Hey all. I am Dave, and I hate racism, sexism and other similar prejudices (although if its a joke, then it's funny). Peace to all"

Are you just after a pat on the back? I dont like racism or sexism either (although I agree, sexist jokes about women are hilarious) but I am no saint because of it....
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member

"Hey all. I am Dave, and I hate racism, sexism and other similar prejudices (although if its a joke, then it's funny). Peace to all"

Are you just after a pat on the back? I dont like racism or sexism either (although I agree, sexist jokes about women are hilarious) but I am no saint because of it....

This. And if you'd posted a similar discussion/ rant but about racism and come out with similar comments but replacing women with black people, you'd have been ripped to bits. Your heart might be in the right place but I find your posts patronising. I and most of my female friends are more than capable of standing up for ourselves if faced with overt sexism.
  • OP, that was a good ad and a nice post and you seem to be a good person. Somehow your kind sentiment will not be good enough because I don't think it is PC to notice that women are women or generalize us in any way, shape, or form.

Have fun and don't get your feelings hurt with all that may follow. :laugh:

^^ This.

It's just safer to look at all humans as an androgynous mass of meat. There are huge gender differences in just about every bi-gendered animal on the face of the planet, but not in humans. No, no. We've evolved above that. Apparently some of us have evolved past manners as well.
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    and yet somehow, you could almost see this coming... :indifferent:
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member

This. And if you'd posted a similar discussion/ rant but about racism and come out with similar comments but replacing women with black people, you'd have been ripped to bits. Your heart might be in the right place but I find your posts patronising. I and most of my female friends are more than capable of standing up for ourselves if faced with overt sexism.

Oh ok, you didnt sense the irony in my comment, following on from the theme that the original poster finds some sexist jokes funny. This cannot always be transpired in written text, admittedly.

But yes, I am blissfully aware of the difference in sensitivities around racism and sexism. A racist joke evolves around purely something which the victim cannot do anything about - their race, whereas a lot of sexist jokes are brought about by the difference in attitudes and personalities that have evolved between men and women. In fact, sexism towards males (in the UK at least) is generally more accepted than vice versa.

I wasnt trying to stick up for anybody, least of all you, so dont worry. I was just merely questioning the purpose of posting something which is plain obvious while appearing to search for recognition for it.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    "In fact, sexism towards males (in the UK at least) is generally more accepted than vice versa"

Oh, oh! Did we hit the requisite 'men have it worse' within 2 pages? I think this counts, yes :D

Thank you, OP. Possibly patronizing, and kinda strange to bring up for that reason alone, but I still appreciate it when it's acknowledged that some behavior towards women still just sucks. Because it does, yeah. We'll be alright and all, but thanks anyway :)
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    P.S. Sexist jokes are still sexist and annoying. Claiming humor makes it ok to saying offensive things or condone narrow stereotypes is a tactic as old as time.
    FYI the point of many 'sexist' and 'racist' jokes is satire. They present those ideas to ridicule them, not to condone them. That's why it's important to know your audience and vice versa.
    Except he didn't ridicule the ideas. His view was consistent through his post. There's a reason that its the racists and sexists that find racist and sexist jokes funny, and its not because they are ridiculing their own ideas.

So if I laugh at someone joking about a woman making a sammich...I'm sexist? Somehow, understanding humor says that I automatically am a sexist that believes women shouldn't leave the kitchen? :huh:
    Right, like if my lifting friends and I laugh about this, we're sexist? :noway: It's clearly satire, because we're all female lifters.
    hF644CC82

If this image was cleverly satirical, it would show two people: a man buckling under the falling Oly bar, and a woman holding the similarly-weighted bar triumphantly. Or something to that effect.

But it doesn't, it shows a woman "failing" at doing a man's job once again, and the joke is reinstating a sexist stereotype where the "weak woman" is the punchline once again. As a chick, I personally don't get how it's funny to other women, but you do you.

This is an example of looking for reasons to be butthurt over nothing.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member

Oh ok, you didnt sense the irony in my comment, following on from the theme that the original poster finds some sexist jokes funny. This cannot always be transpired in written text, admittedly.

But yes, I am blissfully aware of the difference in sensitivities around racism and sexism. A racist joke evolves around purely something which the victim cannot do anything about - their race, whereas a lot of sexist jokes are brought about by the difference in attitudes and personalities that have evolved between men and women. In fact, sexism towards males (in the UK at least) is generally more accepted than vice versa.

I wasnt trying to stick up for anybody, least of all you, so dont worry. I was just merely questioning the purpose of posting something which is plain obvious while appearing to search for recognition for it.

My comments were to the OP, not your post as I was agreeing with you! Although being in the UK myself I have to laugh at your comment about sexism towards males.
  • somerisagirlsname
    somerisagirlsname Posts: 467 Member
    I guess I'm still new enough to MFP that I genuinely wasn't expecting this. Whew. You guys sure know how to turn a nice guy into a misogynist and a joke into a personal attack.

tumblr_inline_muuftxX7N41rrc78e.gif
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member

Pantene commercial broke my heart.

I just can't relate.

bugs+massage.gif
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    "In fact, sexism towards males (in the UK at least) is generally more accepted than vice versa"

Oh, oh! Did we hit the requisite 'men have it worse' within 2 pages? I think this counts, yes :D

Thank you, OP. Possibly patronizing, and kinda strange to bring up for that reason alone, but I still appreciate it when it's acknowledged that some behavior towards women still just sucks. Because it does, yeah. We'll be alright and all, but thanks anyway :)

"Some behaviour towards women still just sucks"... And some behaviour towards men. and races and... The list goes on. We're all human. Sexism and prejudice can happen to everyone and sadly is still very common.

Oh, definitely agreed! And I get angry about sexism towards men, and it is out there. I just think it's going a bit far to be so sure that it's worse than that towards women, lol. And that point really does always come up by men when discussing sexism towards women. Never fails. Ever! ;)

Better than that is when (we) white folks list our woes in discussions on racism against PoC, though. Blows my mind every single time!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    In for bra burning

and naked jello wrestling
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    P.S. Sexist jokes are still sexist and annoying. Claiming humor makes it ok to saying offensive things or condone narrow stereotypes is a tactic as old as time.
    FYI the point of many 'sexist' and 'racist' jokes is satire. They present those ideas to ridicule them, not to condone them. That's why it's important to know your audience and vice versa.
    Except he didn't ridicule the ideas. His view was consistent through his post. There's a reason that its the racists and sexists that find racist and sexist jokes funny, and its not because they are ridiculing their own ideas.

So if I laugh at someone joking about a woman making a sammich...I'm sexist? Somehow, understanding humor says that I automatically am a sexist that believes women shouldn't leave the kitchen? :huh:
    Right, like if my lifting friends and I laugh about this, we're sexist? :noway: It's clearly satire, because we're all female lifters.
    hF644CC82

If this image was cleverly satirical, it would show two people: a man buckling under the falling Oly bar, and a woman holding the similarly-weighted bar triumphantly. Or something to that effect.

But it doesn't, it shows a woman "failing" at doing a man's job once again, and the joke is reinstating a sexist stereotype where the "weak woman" is the punchline once again. As a chick, I personally don't get how it's funny to other women, but you do you.

1/10

wouldn't bang
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    I didn't watch the commercial, but ladies, the only thing that differentiates you, in my opinion, is your vaginas. Keep on rock in' equality in 2014! You hold those things up high and don't put just anything in there. You have my support!!!
    wait hold what things up high? our vaginas? :laugh:

Robert-Downey-Jr-laughing.gif

LMAO this is exactly what I thought too!

Anyway, OP your heart is in the right place, so good for you. I actually had never seen that commercial and I do like it.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    treat each person with the respect they are due as humans, and appreciate their human contributions to the human race.

This. Everyone should be judged individually.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    I guess I'm still new enough to MFP that I genuinely wasn't expecting this. Whew. You guys sure know how to turn a nice guy into a misogynist and a joke into a personal attack.

tumblr_inline_muuftxX7N41rrc78e.gif

dramatic.gif.pagespeed.ce.nuvknUSVAc.gif

Welcome to MFP