What in the sam hill is going on??!!

Options

Replies

• Eve1972
    Eve1972 Posts: 297
    Options
    I use a HRM and burn @ 400 on my walks (4 miles an hour for 90 minutes).

That is WAY over-estimated. Like, double.

net calories burned walking = 0.3 * body weight in pounds * miles walked.

In your case, that's right around 200 calories burned.

My FITBIT gives me 480 and my HRM gives me @ 500 for 90 minutes. I walk pretty fast. How are they both wrong? (not arguing, really curious for an answer :D )
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I should add, according to my FITBIT my average TDEE is 2,300 calories. I use a HRM and burn @ 400 on my walks (4 miles an hour for 90 minutes). I usually burn @ 400 doing the weights and cardio days (usually 2 hours total), and 500 on cardio days.

Yeah but according to your BODY it isn't that high is it? You know the answer love.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options

only 200 calories for 90 minutes? OMG!! That is horrible no wonder I haven't been losing weight lmfao.

Sorry. Carry on.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

My FITBIT gives me 480 and my HRM gives me @ 500 for 90 minutes. I walk pretty fast. How are they both wrong? (not arguing, really curious for an answer :D )

http://caloriesburnedhq.com/calories-burned-walking/

I'm still betting it's hormones.
  • Eve1972
    Options
    MFP gives me 1550 calories for lightly active, which I am pretty sure I am more then...

Ok, so lets see...totals for the past week

today..1489
    yesterday..1440
    Tuesday...1487
    Monday...1590
    Sunday..1447
    etc..

So those of you who think I should eat less, how much less??
  • Eve1972
    Options
    I should add, according to my FITBIT my average TDEE is 2,300 calories. I use a HRM and burn @ 400 on my walks (4 miles an hour for 90 minutes). I usually burn @ 400 doing the weights and cardio days (usually 2 hours total), and 500 on cardio days.

Yeah but according to your BODY it isn't that high is it? You know the answer love.

But WHY did I maintain 117 for 7 months eating what I was eating, why all of a sudden is it to much??
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Sudden unexplained weight changes are definitely something the doctor needs to check out. There are numerous things that could cause it.

Hang in there, and hopefully the doctor can work it out. Please keep us posted! :flowerforyou:
  • QuietBloom
    Options

But WHY did I maintain 117 for 7 months eating what I was eating, why all of a sudden is it to much??

Does it seem like your body fat is still the about the same?
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options

http://caloriesburnedhq.com/calories-burned-walking/

I'm still betting it's hormones.

That's a great link, thanks!
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options

I don't know what to tell you, could be bad tracking, could be intermittent tracking, could be a bunch of things. Why don't you open your diary, I'm pretty good at understanding calories Denmark or not.
  • lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I think the answer probably has its roots within the hormone issue. I couldn't lose a pound for 5 months earlier this year because of a hormone disorder. It is being corrected now and the weight loss is slowly happening again.

You're doing the right thing having a check up! :flowerforyou:
  • Eve1972
    Options
    Ya according to that calculator, I burn 418 walking for 90 minutes at 4 miles an hour, and that was when I was 117, so I guess I burn more now?

What are some thoughts on it being water weight for screwed up hormones, and possible adrenal fatigue?? Just trying to think out loud here..
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    Ya according to that calculator, I burn 418 walking for 90 minutes at 4 miles an hour, and that was when I was 117, so I guess I burn more now?

What are some thoughts on it being water weight for screwed up hormones, and possible adrenal fatigue?? Just trying to think out loud here..

I know nothing about adrenal fatigue, so I'm sorry I can't help you.

Your thyroid probably needs to be checked, and I'm sure the doctor will draw some blood to check for inflammatory markers, etc.

Until then, try not to worry.

You didn't answer my question about your body fat %? Do you perceive it to be the same? Or do you think it has gone up (how much muscle definition are you seeing now as apposed to previously?)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

HRMs are not intended for low intensity exercise like walking - you shouldn't be using it for that. Your FitBit is giving you gross calories, not net, so you are (in effect) double counting your exercise burn.
  • phytogurl
    phytogurl Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I was thinking perimenopause too. Do you have other symptoms such as heat flushes, night sweats? Irregardless, i would have a checkup to rule things out and check hormone levels.
  • Eve1972
    Options
    Oh sorry, I *think* I feel spongier, but I can also see that I have "bigger" muscles in places, if that makes sense!!
  • Eve1972
    Options

HRMs are not intended for low intensity exercise like walking - you shouldn't be using it for that. Your FitBit is giving you gross calories, not net, so you are (in effect) double counting your exercise burn.

What do you mean by "gross" calories?? I don't add my walking calories to MFP, I just let my FITBIT do it's thing for those. I only log my weights and cardio from the gym...
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    Oh sorry, I *think* I feel spongier, but I can also see that I have "bigger" muscles in places, if that makes sense!!

Hmm. See Mr. Knight's post above regarding FitBit and eating exercise calories back.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

I can't answer this for you. For me, when the scale crept up 5LBS a few years ago, it wasn't water. It was just "the change". And keeping the weight off has become a bit tougher since then. I've found I have to do more than just watch the calories.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    My vote is peri-menopause. Makes the whole system go freakazoid crazy.