What in the sam hill is going on??!!

Options

Replies

• QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I use a HRM and burn @ 400 on my walks (4 miles an hour for 90 minutes).

That is WAY over-estimated. Like, double.

net calories burned walking = 0.3 * body weight in pounds * miles walked.

In your case, that's right around 200 calories burned.

My FITBIT gives me 480 and my HRM gives me @ 500 for 90 minutes. I walk pretty fast. How are they both wrong? (not arguing, really curious for an answer :D )

HRMs are not intended for low intensity exercise like walking - you shouldn't be using it for that. Your FitBit is giving you gross calories, not net, so you are (in effect) double counting your exercise burn.

I'm not sure that is true that a HRM cannot give you an reasonable calorie burn estimation from walking (which is a steady state cardio activity). As long as you make sure to use a reasonable calculator afterwards (hint: not necessarily the one built into the HRM).
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I use a HRM and burn @ 400 on my walks (4 miles an hour for 90 minutes).

That is WAY over-estimated. Like, double.

net calories burned walking = 0.3 * body weight in pounds * miles walked.

In your case, that's right around 200 calories burned.

My FITBIT gives me 480 and my HRM gives me @ 500 for 90 minutes. I walk pretty fast. How are they both wrong? (not arguing, really curious for an answer :D )

HRMs are not intended for low intensity exercise like walking - you shouldn't be using it for that. Your FitBit is giving you gross calories, not net, so you are (in effect) double counting your exercise burn.

What do you mean by "gross" calories?? I don't add my walking calories to MFP, I just let my FITBIT do it's thing for those. I only log my weights and cardio from the gym...

I might be wrong, but gross calories means the numbers include your BMR + what you burned while exercising. I know Fitbit does that and depending on what type of HRM you're using, it could as well.

Using an example - Fitbit says I burned 200 calories for 1 hour of walking. My BMR says I burn 60 calories/hour just being alive. 200-60=140 (what I actually burned during walking).

Is there a reason you never talked to your doctor about not having your period for 9 months?
  • Eve1972
    Eve1972 Posts: 297
    Options
    I don't eat my exercise calories back, I basically eat 1500-1700, more so on the 1500 end. I just like to see the numbers from the exercise. *lol*
  • Eve1972
    Options
    I have DR. issues, long story, but I try and wait as long as I can to go! *lol* Plus I was hoping my period would come back...sigh.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Go to the doctor! This does not sound like something anyone on the internet can answer for you. You need to have some tests done that are not available to the general public.
  • Eve1972
    Options
    Go to the doctor! This does not sound like something anyone on the internet can answer for you. You need to have some tests done that are not available to the general public.

I have an appointment for after Christmas. ;) Just wanted to hear what others thought, or may also be going through...
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Yes, early menopause could be a possibility. I do have PCOS, but when I lost my weight my hormones went back into normal ranges.

Thanks everyone for the help. I hear you all about eating to much, but I just can't see how I am when I maintained 117 for months eating that amount..sigh. It is SO frustrating to have worked so hard and now the exact things that helped me achieve my goal are no longer working!

if there's a medical issue then your metabolism may have slowed, hence the weight gain eating the same food you were previously maintaining on. AFAIK the menopause could be another factor. In any case, gaining weight on the same amount of food that you previously maintained on means your body's burning less energy than it was before. This could be due either to doing less physical activity, or due to your metabolism slowing for some reason (could be menopause related).

Regarding physical activity... are you moving less? e.g. change of job, no longer working such long hours etc... it's not just about what you do at the gym, but all the moving you do in your daily life and moving e.g. from a job where you're on your feet quite alot to one where you're at a desk all day could result in weight gain while eating the same amount of food, even if your gym etc workouts haven't changed
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    My vote is peri-menopause. Makes the whole system go freakazoid crazy.
    Freakazoid crazy. I like that.
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    Yes, early menopause could be a possibility. I do have PCOS, but when I lost my weight my hormones went back into normal ranges.

Thanks everyone for the help. I hear you all about eating to much, but I just can't see how I am when I maintained 117 for months eating that amount..sigh. It is SO frustrating to have worked so hard and now the exact things that helped me achieve my goal are no longer working!

if there's a medical issue then your metabolism may have slowed, hence the weight gain eating the same food you were previously maintaining on. AFAIK the menopause could be another factor. In any case, gaining weight on the same amount of food that you previously maintained on means your body's burning less energy than it was before. This could be due either to doing less physical activity, or due to your metabolism slowing for some reason (could be menopause related).

Regarding physical activity... are you moving less? e.g. change of job, no longer working such long hours etc... it's not just about what you do at the gym, but all the moving you do in your daily life and moving e.g. from a job where you're on your feet quite alot to one where you're at a desk all day could result in weight gain while eating the same amount of food, even if your gym etc workouts haven't changed

I have been hesitating to ask this, but any chance you are pregnant OP?
  • Eve1972
    Options
    NOOOO, not pregnant! If I was, i'd have some 'splaining to do, since DH took care of that after our last child was born! *lol*
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I don't like seeing the doctor either, but if I don't have my period for a month, I go. Sadly, I don't get missing periods; I get extra ones. I'm glad you are going and crossing my fingers that it's just menopause and nothing life-threatening.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Your body fat estimate is pretty close to being low enough to induce amenorrhea.

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/women/a/Amenorrhea.htm
  • rebranding101
    Options
    I'm not a doctor, but I'm a form of medical professional. You may be suffering from amenorrhea (losing your period) which can happen when your % body fat gets too low. It's common in female athletes. It's different for everyone, but it usually happens when your % body fat is somewhere in the 17-19% range.

Good luck with your doctor's appt.
  • Eve1972
    Options
    I'm not a doctor, but I'm a form of medical professional. You may be suffering from amenorrhea (losing your period) which can happen when your % body fat gets too low. It's common in female athletes. It's different for everyone, but it usually happens when your % body fat is somewhere in the 17-19% range.

Would this cause weight gain also do you think??

Thanks again everyone who has taken the time to help e out!
  • QuietBloom
    Options

Would this cause weight gain also do you think??

Thanks again everyone who has taken the time to help e out!

No, it wouldn't. I think you have something else going on with the weight gain. A low BF% may have caused you to lose your period initially, and it can take months to come back once you reach a higher BF.
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    History of PCOS mentioned. Missed menstrual cycle for 8-9 months. Rapid weight gain with no changes in diet or activity level reported.

I do work in a medical field, and hearing these symptoms and history I would refer you back to your physician immediately.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness, congratulations on your 144 pounds lost! What a great accomplishment!

When you reached your goal weight, did you allow MFP to adjust your maintenance calorie limit? Could your calorie count be too high now that you have lost all or most of your weight?

Many people think 40s is too young for peri-menopause but I understand that is not always true. The women in my family have been done with menopause by the time they reached fifty, and one cousin has been done since she was about 46. I have been in peri-menopause since my forties.

I suggest you pay a visit to your doctor regarding possible menopause and also to have your thyroid checked.

Also, in your profile picture, you look great!
  • Eve1972
    Options
    I did have MFP set me at a maintenance goal (1550 for lightly active), though with 17.5 hours of exercise a week I think i fall at least in the moderate category, but was worried about gaining..oh the irony! *lol*
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    I'm just gonna put this out there.....early onset menopause?

This is what I was thinking. Or, more generally, that whatever issue is causing your lack of periods could also be behind a sudden weight gain with no calorie changes.
    I hope your doctor can find the issue, and that it's nothing serious.
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    History of PCOS mentioned. Missed menstrual cycle for 8-9 months. Rapid weight gain with no changes in diet or activity level reported.

I do work in a medical field, and hearing these symptoms and history I would refer you back to your physician immediately.

Exactly. This isn't something to fool around with.