Stupid stupid stupid!

Options
13»

Replies

• Kali112
    Kali112 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Wow..never thought this post would generate so many replies! For all the serious ones, thank you, for all the sarcastic ones, don't you have anything better to do with your time than post on a board which is meant for advice? I dread to think
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I dread to think

Apparently.
  • Just_Scott
    Just_Scott Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    Wow, not what I expected in this thread at all! Thought my wife was calling me...phew!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    3 years is a long time to be working on that same weight. Have you thought about changing that goal? Maybe it's time to look at running faster, further, lifting more, doing 100 push ups...whatever but maybe a fitness instead of a weight goal.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    UGH! I am so frustrated right now. I only have around 15-20lbs to lose and i have been trying for so, so long and I just can't do it! io have been trying to lose the same amount of weight for THREE YEARS and just succeeded in going up and down which is reall, really disheartening.

A few days ago i decided to cut out carbs and sugar, yesterday and today I felt soooo depressed and odd-can't explain it-i just felt very flat and irritable to the point of crying. nothing else has happened to cause it so I can only assume it is sugar withdrawal. So, after a few days of doing well, today as usual i broke it and caved in and ended up eating biscuits which totally ruined everything.

Has anyone ever tried to quit sugar before? Am i being stupid to go cold-turkey? I guess i know the answer myself but just wanted to discuss it as i am feeling so unbelievably FED UP right now.

I quit sugar two years ago and never went back. It's really not about the item you give up but coming up with a plan to replace it with something else: an activity, a fruit, a motivational story or quote, a picture....whatever works for you.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    I dread to think

Apparently.

tumblr_lbe9e3z15H1qazkdco1_500.gif
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I dread to think

Apparently.
    wow. That was rude.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    UGH! I am so frustrated right now. I only have around 15-20lbs to lose and i have been trying for so, so long and I just can't do it! io have been trying to lose the same amount of weight for THREE YEARS and just succeeded in going up and down which is reall, really disheartening.

A few days ago i decided to cut out carbs and sugar, yesterday and today I felt soooo depressed and odd-can't explain it-i just felt very flat and irritable to the point of crying. nothing else has happened to cause it so I can only assume it is sugar withdrawal. So, after a few days of doing well, today as usual i broke it and caved in and ended up eating biscuits which totally ruined everything.

Has anyone ever tried to quit sugar before? Am i being stupid to go cold-turkey? I guess i know the answer myself but just wanted to discuss it as i am feeling so unbelievably FED UP right now.

I quit sugar two years ago and never went back. It's really not about the item you give up but coming up with a plan to replace it with something else: an activity, a fruit, a motivational story or quote, a picture....whatever works for you.

Quits sugar
    Has sugar craving
    Eats a peice of fruit that may have more sugar than a cookie
    Claims this is fine because fiber or natural sugar or some such.
    ?????
    Profit?
  • DavidSTC
    DavidSTC Posts: 173 Member
    Options

Quits sugar
    Has sugar craving
    ?????
    Profit?

Fruit's not better than processed sugar?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Quits sugar
    Has sugar craving
    ?????
    Profit?

Not according to a large segment of the MFP community.
    According to many a nabisco 100 calorie cookie pack and an apple are basically the same.

To many of us, they aren't.

And then there's the folks who choose to be obtuse when it comes to anything that deviates from the S.A.D.
  • Queen732
    Options
    Becareful cutting carbs...I was told cut the rice/pasta/flour...stuff out and replace with other types of whole grains and vegetable carbs. Eggplant, Carrots, Zucchini...Use Quinoa, Oats, Barley...
    As a suggestion
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

Depends on what is being talked about.
    Nutrition available in certain amount of calories, sure.
    Difference in how the sugar ends up in your body, no.

Chocolate chip cookie. 7 g of sugar in 25 g cookie, 100 cal.
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/baked-products/5235/2

Raw Florida orange. 17 g of sugar in 185 g quantity, 85 cal.
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/1969/2

Close as I could get for same number of calories overall.

Despite more calories in the cookie, the orange has over 2 x as much sugar.
    And that's even with that 185 g of weight being 161 g of water.
    Drink that much water with the cookie, and make it swell up, it'll be filling too.

So as far as what the body ends up getting, the thought that you replace sugar with fruit to help, isn't really helping, as it's more sugar, and the body is going to process it the same way.
    Except in this case, the cookie has less sugar and more protein and fat, and that will help stifle the insulin response if there is truly some sensitivity to it.

Now, if it's purely nutrition, sure the orange wins hands down. But it wasn't about nutrition, it was purely being discussed knocking sugar out of the diet, with a recommendation to replace some of it with fruit, when most fruit has a lot of sugar in it.

Besides, what is processed sugar, what makes it different from when the body processes natural sugar?
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I applaud your decision to cut sugar out of your diet.
    I'm sorry but I really can't stay quiet
    You have what Aktins called, The Low-Carb Flu.
    maybe you just need a drink or a poo
    It will pass in a few days, just 'soldier through'.
    constipation is a hassle, but it's not crazy glue
    Atkins.com is an excellent website for your challenge.
    if you like what's unbalanced and cabbage

Furthermore, I gave up sugar and all grains back in July.
    I'm so sorry, I think just for you, I will cry
    My 'kick in the pants' was the desire to control my diabetes.
    you know you can still eat some wheaties?
    The outcome?
    I have NO PROBLEMS with hunger or any kind of cravings,
    AT ALL!
    That's great, I can relate, I have no craving. I have chocolate.
    Oh wait, I can't se my abdominal wall!

Forgive yourself for the slip-up.
    perhaps you are right! I should give it all up
    The best things in life are worth repeated attempts at success!
    I have chocolate, oh, never mind, I digress,
    But truly there is no need to obsess
    Over sugar to feel so oppressed*.

Best wishes!

*unless for a medical reason you must. :flowerforyou:

:laugh: :laugh: :drinker:
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I dread to think

Apparently.

i77xgj.jpg
  • DavidSTC
    DavidSTC Posts: 173 Member
    Options

Depends on what is being talked about.
    Nutrition available in certain amount of calories, sure.
    Difference in how the sugar ends up in your body, no.

Chocolate chip cookie. 7 g of sugar in 25 g cookie, 100 cal.
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/baked-products/5235/2

Raw Florida orange. 17 g of sugar in 185 g quantity, 85 cal.
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/1969/2

Close as I could get for same number of calories overall.

Despite more calories in the cookie, the orange has over 2 x as much sugar.
    And that's even with that 185 g of weight being 161 g of water.
    Drink that much water with the cookie, and make it swell up, it'll be filling too.

So as far as what the body ends up getting, the thought that you replace sugar with fruit to help, isn't really helping, as it's more sugar, and the body is going to process it the same way.
    Except in this case, the cookie has less sugar and more protein and fat, and that will help stifle the insulin response if there is truly some sensitivity to it.

Now, if it's purely nutrition, sure the orange wins hands down. But it wasn't about nutrition, it was purely being discussed knocking sugar out of the diet, with a recommendation to replace some of it with fruit, when most fruit has a lot of sugar in it.

Besides, what is processed sugar, what makes it different from when the body processes natural sugar?

I see the logic when talking about total grams of sugar and calories. I'd rather have the fruit because I want the vitamins. I tend to believe the fiber from fruit is important in the way the body processes the sugar. Really, though, moderation is the key, and if you moderate your body's intake of sugar in any form, I would think that your body will be fine.