Embarrassed to go fully into my clean routine

Options
13»

Replies

• richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    OP: you are in Scotland. You MUST eat haggis everyday or all your friends will laugh at you.

OR: just eat what YOU want.

OTOH: people will laugh at you if you say you are "eating clean" because it is a silly, undefined concept with ridiculous arbitrary rules (brown rice OK; brown bread not OK? IDGI)

Otherwise: eat what YOU want.
  • Laura3BB
    Laura3BB Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    trying to commit to a bunch of overly fussy, totally unnecessary changes to their normal routine is the #1 reason people don't stick to a plan long enough to achieve their goals. In fact, it's also the #1 reason people don't even start.

maybe shelve the big no-bread and all brown rice and veggies plan in favor of figuring out what your maintenance calories are and eating foods you enjoy while keeping your total calories under maintenance. I've heard that method has worked for a person or two.

+3
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Those *****es....

p4ruX.gif
  • journey_man
    journey_man Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Some weird amnesia about teens years in this thread. At that age, what your friends think about you is everything. I applaud OP at least for being honest about it (unlike many here).
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    So lately I have been wanting to cut our bread and replace it with grains

unless your talking about things made of spelt and the like, your not changing anything there
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    according to http://www.mendosa.com/gilists.htm

brown rice has a GI (glycemic index) of 68 and white bread ahs a GI 75. your fussing over almost nothing. eat which ever you perfer, or is apparently socially exceptable.

Glycemic index is how likely a carb is to raise your blood sugar, if your blood sugar goes high enough, it triggers an insulin response which will force the glucose in your blood stream to be converted into fat and stored in fat cells. presumably thats where the carb hysteria comes from.

these things represent minor tweeks that probably wont influence your sucess very much. get enough protein and eat the appropriate number of calories is 99% of the game
  • AmyWininger
    AmyWininger Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I measure out everything, and everyday at lunch my friends say, so what are you having today? They laugh sometimes, because they know I am so serious about eating better, but it isn't making fun. They compare what I'm having to them, and realize they are so unhealthy. They're happy I'm eating good though. It shouldn't matter what people say dear. It matters about becoming healthy. What you want and need.
  • 00NL
    00NL Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    friends are there to laugh and enjoy.. they make fun of you so do you make fun of them. they are friends not strangers.
    are they real friends or just time pass--- that is the question.
    real friends make fun laugh but they always care for your goals :)
    it seems you are really under their control or influence or impressed by them or trying to be like them
    there is a difference between friends and classmates.
    :smile:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    according to http://www.mendosa.com/gilists.htm

brown rice has a GI (glycemic index) of 68 and white bread ahs a GI 75. your fussing over almost nothing. eat which ever you perfer, or is apparently socially exceptable.

Glycemic index is how likely a carb is to raise your blood sugar, if your blood sugar goes high enough, it triggers an insulin response which will force the glucose in your blood stream to be converted into fat and stored in fat cells. presumably thats where the carb hysteria comes from.

these things represent minor tweeks that probably wont influence your sucess very much. get enough protein and eat the appropriate number of calories is 99% of the game
    Was the choice between white and brown rice? Or between chicken and brown rice versus whatever the student union has to offer from the pizza, burger nugget food group.
  • 0shifty0
    Options
    Be a leader not a follower

I agree!!!
  • mungowungo
    mungowungo Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    So lately I have been wanting to cut our bread and replace it with grains and vegetables, the only problem is school. I know that I shouldn't be fussed but I kind of want to do the meal prep where I can put brown rice, chicken and vegetables into a food container and take it and eat it but I can't because my friends will think it's funny. Should I keep doing what i'm doing and put it in a whole wheat wrap or is there anything else I can do?x

Huh? - so the OP asked a question about what to do about her friends making fun of her eating choices and she gets told "to eat like a normal person". Isn't what she wants to eat HER decision? Not anybody else's? She's not telling anybody else to eat this way - this is the way she says SHE wants to eat.

OP if you want to eat this way - just do it - it's your decision. You shouldn't lose friends over it - they might even be interested or congratulate you on making a choice that you think is better for your health.