1 year later

Options
tross0924
tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
August 24, 2010, I weighed 357 lbs. My self esteem was at an all time low. I hated how big I’d gotten. I was even seriously considering a gastric bypass surgery, but I was too big for the one I wanted. I needed to weigh 350 or less. Stupid huh? So I figured I’d lose 7 lbs, so that when I saved the money I’d be able to get it. I knew that I couldn’t lose 157 lbs on my own so I was just going to lose 7 so that when I saved the money, I could get it.

So there I was, one year ago, 357 lbs, 53% body fat, 221 cholesterol, and 140ish over 93ish blood pressure.

I decided to eat healthier and less. I ate a chicken leg and thigh instead of a chicken. I ate a cup of rice-a-roni instead of the box, and I ate veggies till I felt full. Long story short, I ate better, healthier, human sized portions. The first 7 lbs came off in a week. “Heck . . . that was easy. This wasn’t such a bad week. I’ll keep it up for a while, until I save my money for the surgery.”

Six months later the surgery option was off the table. I CAN DO THIS. 65 lbs down and still falling, it was time to add exercise. It was just about Lent season, and instead of cutting out a bad habit, I decided to add a good one. I would exercise every single day of Lent. I rode an exercise bike at first . . . slowly. But soon I picked up the pace and duration. At Easter I was feeling way better. I’d continued to lose and started riding faster and farther each time I got on the bike. It was time for something different.

Enter P90X. I was scared, I’ll admit it. I wasn’t ready for it, but I was determined to do what I could. Turns out that wasn’t much . . . at first. The first day I did more pushups (all off my knees mind) than the last 3 years combined. The second day I wished that a meteor would plummet from the sky and kill my before I pushed the play button. But I’d made the commitment, and I was going to finish 90 days. 3 months, a slightly torn rotator cuff, 40 lbs, a couple thousand pushups (not all from my knees), and some strange yoga posses later, I finished. “Hey, that was actually kinda fun there . . . let’s do it again.”

I took a month off and just rode the bike again to let my previously mentioned rotator cuff heal up a bit, and then started round 2. Every day, I notice improvements. One more push up than the week before (none from the knees, thank you very much). A little lower in warrior one. Not as much assistance on the pull-ups. And I noticed something else about myself. In my head, I weigh 199 lbs. I’m under 10% body fat, and I look great. :-) I’ve committed to the lifestyle changes needed to get me there, now all I have to do is wait for my body to catch up to my mind.

Today I weigh 243, and have 26% body fat. For those of you counting that means I lost 114 lbs while gaining 12 lbs of lean muscle mass. My blood pressure is 118 over 78. Cholesterol 169. And self esteem index is much improved.

The reason I’m writing this is also the most amazing thing about this journey. I’m NOT special in any way. If you’re just starting your journey, please know that it can be done by the ungifted, untalented, and ordinary. All you have to do is commit. Commit to living better, being healthier, and improving yourself in the tiniest of ways every day, and then start. You don’t have to go from no exercise to running marathons tomorrow, but TODAY you do have to park a little farther from the store than normal.

Good luck to all of you as you continue on your chosen road.

Replies

• kendra1976
    kendra1976 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    great job!!! :-) you are an inspiration!!
  • pitapocket
    pitapocket Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Wow, you should be very proud of yourself, well done.
  • xDeannaGarciax
    Options
    Fantastic job! Good for you doing it the natural way! Good luck on the rest of your journey!!
  • pragya728
    pragya728 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Wow...this is exactly what I needed to ready for inspiration. I was feeling a little down today and I wanted to give up on the diet...just for today. However, after reading your story I am truly amazed. What an amazing journey you've had. You're truly an inspiration. Thanks for giving me the motivation I needed today.
  • Estrie123
    Options
    What a wonderful thing to read. This has given me back the will to continue. I havent been on my journey long, but one bad night and all I want to do is cram my face with food. Mind you, i havent done that. I think I just feel bad for not exercising this morning cause i was up all night with a sick baby.

Either way, I plan on being a sucess story. It was really nice of you to share yours. Thanks for the boost! Congrats on all your weight loss.

:bigsmile:
  • Becka77
    Becka77 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I love your story, very inspirational! Keep up the great work!
  • TammyBee
    TammyBee Posts: 178
    Options
    Wow! Great Inspiration!:flowerforyou:
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Incredible...very well done!!!
  • grlaurie
    grlaurie Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thanks you so much for the post. I was feeling really discouraged today since i gained .4 of a pound and have not lost for 4 days. I needed to hear that it will work for the ordinary like me. You are an inspiration
  • pipinana
    pipinana Posts: 2,356 Member
    Options
    Wow. Awesome post... You've definitively inspired me! =)
  • trickyfoxster710
    trickyfoxster710 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! the Plus in all this is you saved yourself a lot of money and time healing! Congrats!
  • Trudegk
    Trudegk Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Now, THAT'S some story!!
    I am very impressed, and you are truly an inspiration!
    I wish you all the best!! :))

Trude
  • lisafrancis629
    Options
    Awesome story about your journey. Just reminds me that everyday, ordinary people can do this. I can do this. Thanks for sharing.
  • cuppycake22
    Options
    Great job!
  • LastFighter
    LastFighter Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing, great story.
  • redefiningmyself
    redefiningmyself Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    You're amazing!

That was very inspirational - thank you for sharing. :)
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed reading your story and it inspired me even more!!!! Thanks!

Lana
  • TracieJ65
    TracieJ65 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    AWESOME JOB!!! And in reality it was probably 100% better for you than the Gastric Bypass Surgery!
  • susiewusie
    susiewusie Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    What a fab story ,you should be so proud of yourself you have done a brilliant job ,well done you just prove "ordinary" people can do the "extraordinary" :bigsmile:
  • ndm531
    ndm531 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    An absolutely amazing story - thank you for sharing and for encouraging me to look forward to a year from today when my new healthy habits pay off.
    Nicky
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!