Low Carb Diet

Options
I have been on a low carb diet since the 13th. It is going well, but when I go out of town to see my family and friends it gets exponentially harder. I would like some motivation, helpful ideas for where to eat or what to cook, anyone else in my situation, Or just a sharing of information about the topic is fine too :)

Love to hear from some people about this. Add me as a friend, I love seeing how other people work out and seeing their progress is good motivation for me to do the same.

Replies

• dgroulx
    dgroulx Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I'm on a low carb diet. Add me and you can check out my diary.

Last night, I made stuffed chicken. Another favorite is chicken pizza. I make breast cutlets, coat in Parmesan. Bake in my own sauce made with no added sugar. Take out after 15 minutes and top with mozzarella, pepperoni and italian sausage. Bake another 5 minutes. Everyone loves it. I have lots of recipes that I can share.

Eating out - the Rock Wood Fired Pizza has a great appetizer called the Shroom Skillet. The skillet is a layer of baked mushrooms topped with cheese and sausage. I eat half and take the other half home. Buffalo wings are good, if the place doesn't bread them. Red Robin serves their burgers protein style, wrapped in lettuce with a side of steamed broccoli. At italian restaurants, I eat chicken piccata with veggies instead of pasta. I haven't really found anyplace where I couldn't find something to eat.

My doctor has me on a max of 30 carbs per day, but veggies are free carbs. She has me count total carbs, not 'net carbs'. Sugar alcohols are still a carb and need to be counted.

I don't post my exercise info, because MFP subtracts those calories burned from my total. The calorie calculation is also incorrect. I wear a Suunto Ambit when I exercise to tell me what I've burned.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Consider joining this group:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/411-low-carber-daily-forum-the-group-

You'll find some friendly and HELPFUL folks there.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I have been on a low carb diet since the 13th. It is going well, but when I go out of town to see my family and friends it gets exponentially harder. I would like some motivation, helpful ideas for where to eat or what to cook, anyone else in my situation, Or just a sharing of information about the topic is fine too :)

Love to hear from some people about this. Add me as a friend, I love seeing how other people work out and seeing their progress is good motivation for me to do the same.

This is why low carb diets are generally a poor idea. They unnecessarily make "real world" eating scenarios harder.

Low carb does not come with any health or weight loss benefits.
  • jim9097
    jim9097 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Not even sure why your on a diet; you are georgeous. Maybe you feel the need to do a little toning. If so then just do it on a well rounded nutrition plan. I am not sure why people mess with these things.
  • 20Grit
    20Grit Posts: 752 Member
    Options

This is why low carb diets are generally a poor idea. They unnecessarily make "real world" eating scenarios harder.

To each their own.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Not even sure why your on a diet; you are georgeous. Maybe you feel the need to do a little toning.

I know you meant that as a compliment, but it's kind of dismissive, disrespectful, and presumptuous. Just sayin.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    You're better off joining one of the low carb groups here. On the forums, you will get naysayers and people who don't understand the low carb lifestyle.

I'm doing keto. I can usually find alternatives when out with others. I go for salads with no croutons, or I go for a meat product of some sort. Sometimes it works out, but sometimes it doesn't, but then I adjust the rest of my day to make sure my net carbs are decent.
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    You're better off joining one of the low carb groups here. On the forums, you will get naysayers and people who don't understand the low carb lifestyle.
    Like the person who quoted above you, that has a say in everything....:glasses:
  • jonnythan
    Options

Yeah, you're new. Be sure to join a low carb group to insulate yourself from any possible criticism, no matter how valid. The best possible thing is to limit your source of information to members of a single group.
  • patols1
    patols1 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    [/quote]

[/quote]
    [/quote]
    oops messed up the quoting :/
    while I agree that "real world" eating is difficult. I disagree that there are no health benefits, my doctor has me on a low carb diet because my triglycerides are high and so is my cholesterol.
  • jim9097
    Options
    Not even sure why your on a diet; you are georgeous. Maybe you feel the need to do a little toning.

I know you meant that as a compliment, but it's kind of dismissive, disrespectful, and presumptuous. Just sayin.

No I did not mean it as a compliment. It was meant to be a different point of view. I really don't understand why people who are perfectly capable of physical activity insist on doing these stupid fad diets. Unless there is some medical reason for it; then why?
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options

Yeah, you're new. Be sure to join a low carb group to insulate yourself from any possible criticism, no matter how valid. The best possible thing is to limit your source of information to members of a single group.

I'm just sick and tired of those of us who low carb being constantly berated for it. We're not forcing everyone else to do it. This is how WE choose to eat. And we should be able to talk about it without someone coming in and going "OMGZ, you need carbs to live!" or telling us that it's bad. I have no issues finding keto-friendly dishes at fast food places or other restaurants. I can eat in the real world and still stick to my plan.
  • dgroulx
    Options
    Not sure how many of you have medical degrees, or read scientific journals. If you do have access through work or school, you can research diet comparisons. Every study shows low carbohydrate diets have the most weight loss and the most sustained weight loss. My bariatric physician puts all her patients on low carb diets. I already understand the science and biochemistry, but she has a handout that puts it in words for lay people.

I eat low carb. I eat at home, eat out, go to friends houses, etc. I have no problems finding something to eat.
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Eating out is easy !! I always make sure to have a salad to feel full and keeps me chewing for a long time and it keeps me away from picking on any bread baskets at the table :)

I sometimes carry string cheese / almonds in my purse for emergency LOL

- large salad with grilled chicken on top.. few carbs and nice and satisfying.

- steak w/veggies and salad

- grilled chicken with veggies & salad

- any meat - pork, lamb, etc with veggies and salad

- I see the cauliflower mashed potatoes in some restaurants and also sweet potato fries which are great to have

- Even if they do not have this on the menu if you ask they will make you an OMLETT , throw in what you like - mushroom? pepper? onion?
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Every study shows low carbohydrate diets have the most weight loss and the most sustained weight loss.

Oh dear.
  • dgroulx
    Options

Actually, they do. As someone else pointed out, it will lower cholesterol and triglycerides. It helps with diabetes and stabilizes insulin production. Scientific, published, clinical trials have shown superiority of low carb diets.

You should take a biochemistry class and learn something.
  • vinny76063
    vinny76063 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Went from 320 down to 191 doing low carb. Nothing wrong with it.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options

It can be a bit tough in those situations. Do the best you can and don't beat yourself up if you have a bad meal.
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Lowered my blood pressure meds too :)
  • jim9097
    Options
    Not sure how many of you have medical degrees, or read scientific journals. If you do have access through work or school, you can research diet comparisons. Every study shows low carbohydrate diets have the most weight loss and the most sustained weight loss. My bariatric physician puts all her patients on low carb diets. I already understand the science and biochemistry, but she has a handout that puts it in words for lay people.

I eat low carb. I eat at home, eat out, go to friends houses, etc. I have no problems finding something to eat.

Bariatric physicians are concerned with moving obese people to where they can move on to other things; like exercise and real world eating. I understand the low carb for those unable to exercise, but at some point you have to do a little exercise and move away from low carb. I started on the low carb, I transitioned off of it as I lost weight. <-- At my Dr's orders!