Low Carb Diet

Options

Replies

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Guys let's not get too polarized here. Low carb works for some, and not for others. It can have health benefits for some people (those with PCOS, epilepsy, type two diabetes) and it can cause people to lose weight more easily because they're not hungry all the time. People have different tolerance to carbohydrates. One person's ideal intake could be 300g and another person might need to eat less that 50 to lose weight successfully (whether that be because of hunger control or magical fat burning voodoo, you decide.) . Stop trying to force your diet philosophies upon each other. You will only make people on the other side of the argument more polarized with generalizations and outrageous, misinformed claims. Just stick to what works for you and stop giving a damn about what other people are doing.
    Great post. It won't help, but great post.
    I'll add another group of folks who often find lowering and slowing their carbs to be helpful: menopausal and post-menopausal women.

Not true!! I am menopause and had no problems what so ever with losing weight!!
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Not judging, just curious how many carbs do some of you do a day?

Thank you for your time.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

I did sub-100 for about six months, and sub-50 for about six months.
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    this is why eliminating/demonizing a food group is idiotic..

In reality, there is nothing wrong with going somewhere and eating - gasp! - carbs…as long as you maintain your calorie deficit you will be fine…

carbs do not make you gain wait..

over eating calories does...
  • ndj1979
    Options

Low carb does not come with any health or weight loss benefits.

Actually, they do. As someone else pointed out, it will lower cholesterol and triglycerides. It helps with diabetes and stabilizes insulin production. Scientific, published, clinical trials have shown superiority of low carb diets.

You should take a biochemistry class and learn something.

does not do low carb and cholesterol is "perfect" accord to MD..so not really sure where you are going with that one...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Guys let's not get too polarized here. Low carb works for some, and not for others. It can have health benefits for some people (those with PCOS, epilepsy, type two diabetes) and it can cause people to lose weight more easily because they're not hungry all the time. People have different tolerance to carbohydrates. One person's ideal intake could be 300g and another person might need to eat less that 50 to lose weight successfully (whether that be because of hunger control or magical fat burning voodoo, you decide.) . Stop trying to force your diet philosophies upon each other. You will only make people on the other side of the argument more polarized with generalizations and outrageous, misinformed claims. Just stick to what works for you and stop giving a damn about what other people are doing.
    Great post. It won't help, but great post.
    I'll add another group of folks who often find lowering and slowing their carbs to be helpful: menopausal and post-menopausal women.

see the word "often" there? I didn't say always. Google menopause and insulin resistance for example.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options

I did sub-100 for about six months, and sub-50 for about six months.

Thank you Mr. Knight!
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    You're better off joining one of the low carb groups here. On the forums, you will get naysayers and people who don't understand the low carb lifestyle.

Yeah, you're new. Be sure to join a low carb group to insulate yourself from any possible criticism, no matter how valid. The best possible thing is to limit your source of information to members of a single group.

Oh jonnythan how we've missed you. :heart:

Yes, we miss how much he loves telling everyone how much smarter he is than the average bear! That really is the endearing part about him. <3
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Not at all. It means that most people here haven't done the research recently...

Nonsense. I personally did low carb for a full year - I am speaking from direct experience. There are MANY ex-low carbers on here who know exactly what they are talking about.

The plain fact is that the claimed special health benefits from low carb do not hold up under scrutiny.

Okay, wildly claiming something contrary to my cited scientific studies without any relevant proof: We can all safely ignore this guy.

Next one...

You're a special flower. :) kidding, but a lot of people lose weight without any problems at all stages of life. For younger women with PCOS, or older perimenopausal/postmenopausal women undergoing hormone therapy, ketosis (very-low-carb diet) helps prevent the weight gain related to these conditions. The effect is enhanced on women taking contraceptive hormones. I don't believe there's been a lot of research done on the subject, which is odd considering most of the people I know in eating low-carb are young PCOS women or older women, and that's a huge market. :) If you require citations, I'll dig up some studies.

I generally keep it under 20g. I don't care so much around the holidays, but I feel bloated and gassy and poop a lot when I have candy/pie and stuff. :)
    carbs do not make you gain wait..

over eating calories does...

If you read my earlier post, I explain how many people's bodies trigger a response to carbohydrates that makes them unable to feel full. They will literally ALWAYS feel hungry. Even eating 10,000 calories a day, they'll want more and more, seeking that rush. It's much akin to a heroin or cocaine addiction. Sugar and starch make you feel good, high amounts of serotonin and dopamine get released when you eat high glycemic index foods. You know what else causes spikes in those neurotransmitters? Narcotics. Yes, candy has basically the same affect on your brain as an opiate*. :) Except it makes you obese and diabetic, instead of sleepy.

*http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8697046
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    does not do low carb and cholesterol is "perfect" accord to MD..so not really sure where you are going with that one...

I didn't eat low-carb and my cholesterol was shot. I ate low-carb and my cholesterol was perfect. So if you're using anecdotal evidence to prove something is false, I can use it to prove the claim true.
  • ndj1979
    Options

I didn't eat low-carb and my cholesterol was shot. I ate low-carb and my cholesterol was perfect. So if you're using anecdotal evidence to prove something is false, I can use it to prove the claim true.

that was my point…so I guess we are saying the same thing..
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Low carb is easy in restaurants. Get a salad with a protein in. Grilled steak/chicken/fish with double veggies cooked in olive oil or butter. Glass of wine if ya drink. Berries and cream for dessert.
  • 20Grit
    20Grit Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    You're better off joining one of the low carb groups here. On the forums, you will get naysayers and people who don't understand the low carb lifestyle.

Yeah, you're new. Be sure to join a low carb group to insulate yourself from any possible criticism, no matter how valid. The best possible thing is to limit your source of information to members of a single group.

I'm just sick and tired of those of us who low carb being constantly berated for it. We're not forcing everyone else to do it. This is how WE choose to eat. And we should be able to talk about it without someone coming in and going "OMGZ, you need carbs to live!" or telling us that it's bad. I have no issues finding keto-friendly dishes at fast food places or other restaurants. I can eat in the real world and still stick to my plan.

I'm with you.
  • 20Grit
    20Grit Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    the MFP regulars who comment on everything thinking they are right

What a meaningless statement. I can't think of anyone who posts things they think are wrong.

Everyone who posts thinks the things they say are right. Otherwise they wouldn't say them.

I think eating carbs make some bitter and angry.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Some of these low carb eaters are a bit.. sensitive.
  • jonnythan
    Options

:drinker:
  • jonnythan
    Options

Yes, we miss how much he loves telling everyone how much smarter he is than the average bear! That really is the endearing part about him. <3

You know, this is like the third or fourth time you've said I say this.

I've never said that.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Okay, wildly claiming something contrary to my cited scientific studies ...

MSNBC is a "scientific study"? A website peddling supplements is a "scientific study"?

The first of your PubMed links I clicked on is titled "The Effects of Resistance Training on Parkinson's Disease".

Time to get the popcorn out...

:smokin:

Nobody is berating people for choosing to eat low carb. As I've said repeatedly in this thread, eat whatever floats your boat, it's all good.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Nobody is berating people for choosing to eat low carb. As I've said repeatedly in this thread, eat whatever floats your boat, it's all good.
    Berating? no. However some of our forum regulars think it's their place to MOCK low carb eaters' decisions.