This gallery explains why millions of Americans are obese…

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Portion sizes are a part of it yes (I can remember when a large soda from McD was only 16 oz). Another part of it is the availability of fast food (I can count 4 McD on my route to work and that's just McD). Another part is the constant propaganda to get us to eat something (advertising works or nobody would be doing it). Another part is the increased sedentary lifestyle of society as a whole (our ancestors did not need exercise equipment to be healthy)....

I can go on all day.

who cares? there are four waffles houses on my way to work each day..I just keep on driving by...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    See, I don't think it's the size of the food stuffs, it's the access and marketing thereof. Families used to cook dinners, now they see how 'easy and convenient' a hamburger helper dinner or a quick drive thru at McDonald's would be. I don't think it's just the size, it's the marketing as well.

right, so we are all robots that automatically go to McDonalds when the fast food overlords say "jump"

what ever happened to personal responsibility...
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    There has been a large increase in flavored coffee drink consumption in the last 20 years.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Marketing made me do it!
  • W0rthless_Her0
    Options
    that's quite a jump to a conclusion based on a teeny tiny sample size of dubious validity.

this is why it's propaganda.

Dubious validity? Everyone knows there were no big gulps or large fries back in the 90s.

Everyone also knows that if you try to order 4 small fries they wont give them to you. They will only let you buy 1.

Its been like this since 3792 B.C.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Families used to cook dinners, now they see how 'easy and convenient' a hamburger helper dinner or a quick drive thru at McDonald's would be.

There's nothing wrong with either of those options.

The problem is eating too much of it.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    There has been a large increase in flavored coffee drink consumption in the last 20 years.

Starbucks is the new Coca Cola.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I think the OP is trying to point out that portion sizes for food has increased over the years. Meaning more calories consumed. Nothing about clean eating, or not eating those things.

that's quite a jump to a conclusion based on a teeny tiny sample size of dubious validity.

Exactly. Those fries? McDonald's small fries are still the same size as the small example. Debunked. The burgers? Some places have 1/2 burgers, sure. But most don't. The soda? Same thing. You can still choose to buy an 8 ounce soda as apposed to a 16 ounce.
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    I agree. I have been watching documentaries on Netflix about the changes made to our food supply. Aside from the obvious, it really made me consider the taste of food. Frozen "steamed" bags of veggies in most cases are down right aweful tasting. The nutrients in our veggies are not what they used to be. I now understand why there is such a push to "eat local." The longer the food sits in transportation, the more loss of nutrients. I am going to do my best to stay away from the food depicted here, because I REALLY don't want to clog my arteries.

Ugh. You really need to stop watching those so called 'documentaries'. They are vehicles for propaganda through and through.
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    I just showed this picture to my 5 year old and asked him what it meant. He correctly observed that the 1st pic of each set was small, the 2nd pic was large. Then I asked him how it related to clean eating, and he told me that your hands stay cleaner when you eat if you use a fork and spoon. I hope this helps some of you.

:laugh: :heart: :drinker:
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options

Starbucks is the new Coca Cola.

At 8x the price! I blame credit availability for the obesity epidemic.

Just thought it was cool that picture actually had one item that was kinda accurate.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Portion sizes are a part of it yes (I can remember when a large soda from McD was only 16 oz). Another part of it is the availability of fast food (I can count 4 McD on my route to work and that's just McD). Another part is the constant propaganda to get us to eat something (advertising works or nobody would be doing it). Another part is the increased sedentary lifestyle of society as a whole (our ancestors did not need exercise equipment to be healthy)....

I can go on all day.

who cares? there are four waffles houses on my way to work each day..I just keep on driving by...

Did you know that the Waffle House doesn't serve pancakes? IHOP has waffles. I think it's crap, and I'm not going to stand for it.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    I think the OP is trying to point out that portion sizes for food has increased over the years. Meaning more calories consumed. Nothing about clean eating, or not eating those things.

That's what I thought too

Thats because you two have enough reading comprehension skills to understand the post. Some people, not so much
  • ndj1979
    Options

Exactly. Those fries? McDonald's small fries are still the same size as the small example. Debunked. The burgers? Some places have 1/2 burgers, sure. But most don't. The soda? Same thing. You can still choose to buy an 8 ounce soda as apposed to a 16 ounce.

Oh no we can't! The fast food overlords have programmed us to get 16 ounce drinks, double quarter pounders, and extra large fry orders every time we go to the drive through...and they have also brainwashed us into having to go to EVERY single fast food store on each block...we are screwed people...just give up now..
  • ndj1979
    Options

I can go on all day.

Did you know that the Waffle House doesn't serve pancakes? IHOP has waffles. I think it's crap, and I'm not going to stand for it.

this is true..! even McDonalds has pancakes...
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I'm sticking one more thing in here...

superbiggulp.jpg

not to mention the average size drink now is 20oz
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I find this deceptive. Those OG sizes are still readily available.

What has actually changed is people's insistence on buying bigger.

ETA: Yes, "propoganda" is in fact the right descriptor.

This. You don't have to get a giant order of fries. You don't have to get a latte instead of a regular cup of coffee. They still make small bottles of soda and small bagels. You get to decide what you buy, and you get to decide how much of it you eat.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    I'm glad that I'm a Canadian and this no longer applies to me.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,016 Member
    Options
    I find this deceptive. Those OG sizes are still readily available.

What has actually changed is people's insistence on buying bigger.

ETA: Yes, "propoganda" is in fact the right descriptor.

This. You don't have to get a giant order of fries. You don't have to get a latte instead of a regular cup of coffee. They still make small bottles of soda and small bagels. You get to decide what you buy, and you get to decide how much of it you eat.
    People don't have to do anything. but it's nice to know from yoiur perspective that larger sizes have nothing to do with increased food consumption, thanks.:flowerforyou:
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    I'm sticking one more thing in here...

superbiggulp.jpg

not to mention the average size drink now is 20oz

i don't think i've ever had a big gulp or a double big gulp in my life. but why is a big gulp worse than drinking 2 or 3 or 4 cans of soda (or however many cans of soda that is equivalent to it)? why does anybody assume that the person drinking 1 big gulp was only drinking 1 can of soda 20 years ago? when i worked in the corporate world, i'd sit at my computer all day working on IC designs. we had a fridge stocked with free sodas. i probably drank 4 or 5 diet pepsi's during the course of the day (9-10 hours) if i had 1 big gulp that was roughly the same size, i'd have just sipped from that all day. i'm pretty sure my intake would have been about the same amount regardless. and yet because it makes a catchy graphic for the gullible, somebody could easily claim that we now drink more than we did 20 years ago and simply show a photo of a photoshop enlarged big gulp next to a photoshop reduced can of soda and somehow that becomes compelling evidence to the people who might see it and accept it at face value with no further investigation or critical thought.