Healthy Spaghetti?

Options

Replies

• UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti isn't unhealthy (even with regular Semolina pasta)!
  • LesaDave
    LesaDave Posts: 1,480 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash!

THIS!!
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I like spaghetti squash, but don't expect it to replace the experience of eating real spaghetti. It is nothing like spaghetti except for the fact that it is in the same stringy form. It is good, but it is definitely squash in taste and texture.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Is there unhealthy Spaghetti?

this.

noodles, sauce, meat.

unless youre sprinkling meth on it, it's pretty healthy by default.

Oh crap. So the way I make it isn't healthy?
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    i like to sautee eggplant mushrooms onion and garlic. a can of crushed tomatoes with the juice, puree it up and add a little tomato paste to thicken if needed. mix the veggies to make a chunky sauce. or you can toss with olive oil and garlic and add oven roasted broccoli to it a sauteed spinach with parmesan
  • piersonj
    piersonj Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    If you are like me, I always manage to make the correct amount of pasta but have another meals worth of sauce at the end of dinner. The left over sauce on steamed broccoli is a great lunch.

I recently found that making meatballs to go with the spaghetti is a great way to add meat without going overboard. Also a great way to "hide" veggies in dinner. Onion is an obvious one, but carrot will sweeten up the meatball. You don't need to you the yolk of the egg to get the binder effect, so that saves on calories and fat. I don't normally like ground chicken or turkey, but as a meatball they are good.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    For the sake of all that is holy in this world ditch the whole wheat spaghetti noodles. They're crap. Some things taste great with whole wheat, spaghetti noodles not so much.

Then add some ground beef and sauce to real noodles. Good to go.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    For the sake of all that is holy in this world ditch the whole wheat spaghetti noodles. They're crap. Some things taste great with whole wheat, spaghetti noodles not so much.

I like Ronzoni Smart Taste noodles. Extra fiber and protien, but way better than whole wheat.

And I actually prefer ground turkey to ground beef for Italian dishes. The flavor of the beef is over powering.
  • turtleball
    turtleball Posts: 217 Member
    Options
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

i like the whole wheat noodles!! i buy them freshly made though. and with enough homemade sauce, you can't taste the difference.
  • littlelexical
    littlelexical Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    If spaghetti squash, or zucchini noodles are not your thing - You can always use a peeler & peel a carrot (the whole carrot, and nothing but the carrot) until it is all in long thin strips - blanch - serve spaghetti on top of this -Nom.

Alternatively - you could have the pasta & just have it the traditional way - little pasta, larger amount of the meat sauce - Huge green side salad - then you can enjoy it all :)
  • BeachIron
    Options

i like the whole wheat noodles!! i buy them freshly made though. and with enough homemade sauce, you can't taste the difference.

*rage quit*
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti Squash! YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!

Next to no calories (compared to spaghetti noodles) and its all about the sauce you put on it anyways!

Try it, you'll LOVE it!

why can't you just have whole wheat linguine or something…???
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Go with lean turkey, and instead of a whole lb, use only 8oz and then bring in eggplant and mushrooms to make up for the meatiness. If you have picky eaters, you can mince the mushrooms and hide it in the sauce. You can also finely dice up carrots, celery, onions, and add green peppers.

And another thing to do is make your own sauce, which is really easy actually. Just no salt added crushed tomatoes and italian seasoning, and then add salt and pepper to taste. This cuts down on the sodium by A LOT.

Just use regular noodles, honestly. A serving of spaghetti noodles is only like 200 calories, and you can add in more sauce (especially since it is chunky) and then just add in a salad along side
  • BeachIron
    Options
    If spaghetti squash, or zucchini noodles are not your thing - You can always use a peeler & peel a carrot (the whole carrot, and nothing but the carrot) until it is all in long thin strips - blanch - serve spaghetti on top of this -Nom.

Alternatively - you could have the pasta & just have it the traditional way - little pasta, larger amount of the meat sauce - Huge green side salad - then you can enjoy it all :)

carrots and pasta sauce?

if this happens, I'm gonna feel very sad for the OP's SO

poor bro will need some food . . .
  • AproMunro
    Options
    Spaghetti squash is an acquired taste. I like it, but it definitely does not take the place of pasta when you really want pasta.

Now, I am not 100%gluten free or anti wheat, but I am wary of wheat. I often make pasta with rice noodles. There are thick rice noodles that are about the same size as typical fettuccine, and all size down to the thinness of angel hair pasta. The texture is amazing and it works perfectly with any pasta sauce you may want to use. It is a little different from wheat pasta but no less decadent. My husband is a pasta nut and he adores the new rice noodle, most of the time, substitutions.
  • I have used and like spaghetti squash in the past, but I also like shirataki tofu noodles...which are the closest thing to pasta I've found. The come in angel hair and fettucine style, and 8oz has 40 calories. Hard to beat for texture, taste and calorie intake. Rinse them before using, but do not boil.

Shirataki noodles are quite soft, whereas Spaghetti squash is quite firm---but both are delicious.

Good luck experimenting :)
  • christopherjlevan
    Options
    Barilla Multigrain Plus, forget whole wheat pasta!
  • zornig
    zornig Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I had PastaSlim spinach fettuccini the other day and it was really good! Read about it here: http://www.wildwoodfoods.com/products/pasta-alternatives/pasta-slim/long-noodles/spinach-fettuccini-0

There are several different varieties of vegetable-derived pasta that are extremely low in calories and carb. You can make one sauce and then serve your husband traditional noodles and have the other for yourself.
  • tootchute
    tootchute Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    It depends on you, I eat Spaghetti at least once a week. They noodles we use now are Rozini whole wheat its 190 for two ounces, I do three for myself four for everyone else. Extra lean ground turkey from Jennie-o,4 oz - 3 oz, and usually a half a cup of sauce, my husband eats a cup. I add vegetables in everyone as well.