Healthy Spaghetti?

Options

Replies

• gringuitica
    gringuitica Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    To me, pasta is a well-balanced meal – carbs, protein and fat – of noodles, meat (or veggie protein equivalent) and cheese. We eat pasta about once a week, and it's pretty easy to fit it into my day's calories and macros.

So I guess the question for the OP is, what is it about pasta that doesn't meet your nutritional needs?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    If spaghetti squash, or zucchini noodles are not your thing - You can always use a peeler & peel a carrot (the whole carrot, and nothing but the carrot) until it is all in long thin strips - blanch - serve spaghetti on top of this -Nom.

Alternatively - you could have the pasta & just have it the traditional way - little pasta, larger amount of the meat sauce - Huge green side salad - then you can enjoy it all :)

carrots and pasta sauce?

if this happens, I'm gonna feel very sad for the OP's SO

poor bro will need some food . . .

geez…why don't you just make cauliflower pasta wit cauliflower sauce and call it a day ….shakes head...
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    spaghetti squash is meh at best ...and I am vegan.. I love my veggies and alternatives

but gluten free or whole wheat pasta is awesome with a little olive oil & veggies or homemade sauce :)
  • mizroxy13
    mizroxy13 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry I just saw this!

It's called Pasta Zero. It's found in the produce section and it's made by Nasoya. There are LITERALLY 40 calories in a bag (it comes in liquid), 4 carbs, vitamins, gluten free, fat free....yada yada. The noodles are made with yam root, so when you open them you will notice a funky smell. As soon as you rinse them, it's gone and they just turn into really fabulous, versatile noodles. No boiling, I just toss them into a bunch of veggies and tomatoes and spices. Fast, healthy, easy, omg! Seriously, I love them. They have more of an al dente texture as well, so not like mushy pasta. You can use them alone like I do, or mix them with your other spaghetti noodles to make a much healthier alternative. Give em a try!
  • ndj1979
    Options

It's called Pasta Zero. It's found in the produce section and it's made by Nasoya. There are LITERALLY 40 calories in a bag (it comes in liquid), 4 carbs, vitamins, gluten free, fat free....yada yada. The noodles are made with yam root, so when you open them you will notice a funky smell. As soon as you rinse them, it's gone and they just turn into really fabulous, versatile noodles. No boiling, I just toss them into a bunch of veggies and tomatoes and spices. Fast, healthy, easy, omg! Seriously, I love them. They have more of an al dente texture as well, so not like mushy pasta. You can use them alone like I do, or mix them with your other spaghetti noodles to make a much healthier alternative. Give em a try!

anything that smells funky out of the package should be avoided…

there is nothing wrong with the ocassional REAL pasta dish people!
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    ....Um. Don't eat an entire pot of pasta+entire pot of sauce and 4 ounces of cheese all by yourself? Boom, 'healthier' spaghetti.

I myself like to make some meatballs (Ground pork, veal, and beef. Yes veal is beef. Just telling you what the package says), boil up some noodles, get a quick sauce going and go to town. I don't seem any the worse for wear over it.

And I do not use whole wheat pasta. Heathens.
  • zornig
    zornig Posts: 336 Member
    Options

There is also nothing wrong with trying (and liking) other things. Nobody's forcing you to eat it.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Is there unhealthy Spaghetti?

^this. What is unhealthy about spaghetti? If you can answer that then you can make changes to it.
  • mizroxy13
    Options
    Not true. I can list a million things that smell funky that are great for you. I'm not here to get in nonsense arguments, though. It has four ingredients in it, it's legit, that is all.

To the lovely person who asked for suggestions, it is definitely worth a try!

Bon appetit! :)
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

^this. What is unhealthy about spaghetti? If you can answer that then you can make changes to it.

Countdown to "But the carbs" and/or "But processed grains!!"

I put 5 bucks on one of these.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

There is also nothing wrong with trying (and liking) other things. Nobody's forcing you to eat it.

If you're trying other things under the mistaken belief that pasta isn't healthy then yea, that is wrong.

Food phobic silliness
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Countdown to "But the carbs" and/or "But processed grains!!"

I put 5 bucks on one of these.

*sips beer*

yep
  • ndj1979
    Options

i stand by original assertion that there is nothing wrong with real pasta.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    You could try Barilla Plus if you want to get more fiber and protein in your noodles. I like it but it does taste a little different.

http://www.barilla.com/content/product/plus-spaghetti
  • mizroxy13
    Options
    Well, I try new things to try new things and give them a shot. If they're clean and healthy, why not step outside the box? I never said anything about pasta, I merely shared some lovely insight to a great alternative...which was the whole point of this stream. Nobody mentioned a food phobia, so I don't see anyone being silly here.

I rarely leave comments because the absurd negativity and know-it-all attitude on here. I'm here to share some positivity.

I should hope we all are. It's about being better people all around and helping each other get there.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Well, I try new things to try new things and give them a shot. If they're clean and healthy, why not step outside the box? I never said anything about pasta, I merely shared some lovely insight to a great alternative...which was the whole point of this stream. Nobody mentioned a food phobia, so I don't see anyone being silly here.

I rarely leave comments because the absurd negativity and know-it-all attitude on here. I'm here to share some positivity.

I should hope we all are. It's about being better people all around and helping each other get there.

not sure how it is being negative to point out that there is nothing wrong with real pasta…..and sorry I did not like your stinky pasta alternate suggestion…I apologize for offending your delicate sensibilities...
  • amunet07
    amunet07 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I make zucchini noodles and blend up cherry or grape tomatoes with italian spice sundried tomatoes and don't cook either of them. I was suprised at how this tasted as good if not better than my naughty spaghetti. lol

also Shiratake noodles (tofu) is a good option.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I make zucchini noodles and blend up cherry or grape tomatoes with italian spice sundried tomatoes and don't cook either of them. I was suprised at how this tasted as good if not better than my naughty spaghetti. lol

also Shiratake noodles (tofu) is a good option.

please explain why pasta is "naughty"
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I live in Italy and make pasta every day for my family. I make all kinds but learned a basic recipe from my mother-in-law from south Italy--Puglia. I use Barilla alot, or other hard duram grain. The sauce is as follows--Put extra vergin olive oil in a saucepan with a large peeled garlic clove. Brown the clove lightly and then discard. Add canned Roma tomatos, with salt and pepper. Cook about 15 mins to half an hour depending on how you like your tomatoes. Add fresh basil and toss with the pasta--cooked strictly "al dent"--that means no overcooking glue like pasta. Put in your plate add freshly grated parmesean Reggiano(no substitutions here!), and pour more sauce on top. Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Healthier than this it doesn't get.