RESTRICTIONS???? URGH

Options
Ok first i hate restrictions it seems like as soon as i say i cant have i want and a few days past and i binge... Trust me I know I know it is all in my mind and i need to produce the will to be strong yada yada

i get so many mixed OPINIONS on how to lose weight and things that are "BAD foods" and should never be touched and it makes weight loss more frustrating than anything.

its like am i such a bad person for wanting a whooper and eating a whooper?

isnt restrictions what turns the new lifestyle change into a diet?

just searching for other opinions

SN: no im not opening my dairy because im not trying to be crucified by the clan of "Clean eater" :laugh: :bigsmile: :noway:

Replies

• GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    There's no bad foods, work them into your day, plan for a whopper if you want it. When you start putting restrictions you up the chances that you will quit.
  • amcsouth
    amcsouth Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    There's no bad foods, work them into your day, plan for a whopper if you want it. When you start putting restrictions you up the chances that you will quit.

I agree completely! Just work it into your day. I wanted to make a complete lifestyle change and I don't see myself never eating take-aways, ice cream, chocolate etc again. It's all about moderation (also helps me to prevent crazy binges)
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    First and foremost lose the whole mentality that there are Good foods and Evil foods. From a weightloss perspective you can lose weight eating whatever you want as long as it fits within your caloric intake. That being said you need to concentrate on your Macros, hitting your set goals of Proteins, Carbs, and Fats will go along way. I prefer to have a relationship with food that allows me to have whatever it is that I want as long as it fits within the parameters of my daily eating plan. You should find by doing so it becomes less to do about obsession (over foods you think you can't have cause there Bad!) and more to do with adherence to your overall goals..... Best of Luck
  • staveshabr
    staveshabr Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    this is what i was thinking but so many people give the advice like no bread no pasta no rice no EATING!!! (ok im being dramatic but that what it sound like to me) i love spaghetti and burgers.

so its like stay within calories and enjoy right??
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    This
  • CyberEd312
    Options
    Just wanted to add, pay attention to the tickers you have pretty much the same advice from the first 3 post and the weight loss to back it up.... lol. Again Best of Luck

Edited to add a 4th ticker.... lol
  • Gilla22
    Options

yes!!!!!!all your favourite foods can be turned into healthieroptions.you just need to work around them.

here's a recipe index from one of my favourite blogs.this girl turned all her favourite dishes into healthy meals you can eat without feeling guilty.weightloss is not a torture plan ...stop making it one.

http://undressedskeleton.tumblr.com/Recipeindex
  • staveshabr
    Options
    First and foremost lose the whole mentality that there are Good foods and Evil foods. From a weightloss perspective you can lose weight eating whatever you want as long as it fits within your caloric intake. That being said you need to concentrate on your Macros, hitting your set goals of Proteins, Carbs, and Fats will go along way. I prefer to have a relationship with food that allows me to have whatever it is that I want as long as it fits within the parameters of my daily eating plan. You should find by doing so it becomes less to do about obsession (over foods you think you can't have cause there Bad!) and more to do with adherence to your overall goals..... Best of Luck

the macros part i be pretty within range but soduim i be way overidk if its how i season food but my sodium intak in ridiculous any advice on balancing that???
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    I totally understand. I do what is often referred to as iifym. My focus is on the nutrients of things not whether or not they are what are the societal norm of "good" or "bad". Food is food. So, if I met my macronutrients, I use my remaining calories to have things I love, whatever that be ( typically ice cream, pizza, chocolate, etc). Nothing is off limits. Sometimes, these things actually help me net my macros.

As far as losing weight, it is calories in vs out. So, just make sure you're logging consistently and I highly recommend using a digital scale to weigh food. That helped me a ton, especially as the smaller you get, the more imperative it is to be accurate, as the body requires less energy. Hope this helped. Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • CyberEd312
    Options

the macros part i be pretty within range but soduim i be way overidk if its how i season food but my sodium intak in ridiculous any advice on balancing that???

I personally do not have any medical condition requiring me to limit sodium intake (get check ups every 4 months) so I do not track it, instead just drink plenty of water and let my body flush out what it does not use. I too spice my food up with sea salt, lawry salt, etc to taste....
  • GADavies
    GADavies Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    isnt restrictions what turns the new lifestyle change into a diet?
    With a slight caveat around nutrients, the only restriction is on calories. You want a Whopper, have one, but accept that the consequence of eating a Whopper on a regular basis is either eating less elsewhere or exercising for two hours. If it's an occasional thing then just do it, if it's a regular thing then you need to plan how you're going to deal with the almost inevitable calorific surplus it causes.

I eat absolutely anything that fits into my calorie allowance and it's worked great for me, anyone claiming weight loss is any more complex than "Eat less, exercise more" is simply fooling themselves.
  • staveshabr
    Options
    thanks you guys are great and speedy with responses i dont have any medical conditions actually healthy as a horse:bigsmile:
    and @Gilla22 i can just be a little dramatic at times in regards to the torture plan lol i just tend to read alot of the topics on hear for inspiration etc... it just gets a little confusing from time to time
  • GADavies
    GADavies Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    it just gets a little confusing from time to time
    Ignore them all, too many people either fundamentally misunderstand human biology or they assume things that apply to bodybuilders, elite athletes, and starving people in India also apply to the morbidly obese.

Eat less, exercise more. Unless you have a formally diagnosed medical condition that's all you need to know.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Remember keep it simple. Calories in vs Calories out. Don't over think it and you'll be fine. If you read something that interests you go research it and make an educated decision.
  • GameOfPounds
    GameOfPounds Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    there aren't any bad foods..only bad diets.

Just don't overeat if you want to maintain your weight and cut calories if you want to lose weight. ;)

PS: And as someone else mentioned,it's only calories in VS calories out.. if you stress yourself with evil/good foods and don't enjoy what you eat then you will end up being miserable and maybe then you will overeat on the foods you missed the most (aka the "bad' foods)
  • TamaraKat
    TamaraKat Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Agreed with everyone else above!
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Last week I had a banana split. It was awesome. It used half my calories for the day. I was way over on my fat intake that day, but stuck to my calorie goal by making careful choices the rest of the day.

We all have things we won't give up...I can do without fast food like burgers and fries (I might indulge rarely, but it's not one of the things that calls to me! Lol) but tell me to give up pizza or ice cream, and I'll never survive! I don't eat those daily, or even weekly, but when I really have a craving, I eat them...without an ounce of guilt.
  • Casstevens133
    Casstevens133 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I agree that there are no bad foods! Everything in moderation - if you want pizza have it - just work the rest of the days calories around it. If you go over one day try to go under the next or .... Get a walk or some other exercise in to claw back some of the calories. Also slowly does it - 1lb a week is plenty and more likely to stay off. Try to think of it as a lifestyle not a diet and remember that life occasionally throws a curve ball. Good luck - you can do this. I don't care if others don't like what I eat - its my body !!!
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    SN: no im not opening my dairy because im not trying to be crucified by the clan of "Clean eater" :laugh: :bigsmile: :noway:

I can't tell you how many times I've seen people on this site say they eat "clean" 90% of the time... only to find their diary contains things like sausages, cookies, chips, frozen meals, protein bars, cereal, etc. on a regular basis. people like to talk big, but I've seen VERY few diaries that I would call even 80% "clean". Don't let people like that intimidate you! If people give you crap...lol tell them to go eat a Whopper.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    this is what i was thinking but so many people give the advice like no bread no pasta no rice no EATING!!! (ok im being dramatic but that what it sound like to me) i love spaghetti and burgers.

so its like stay within calories and enjoy right??
    There's an interesting thread in the "Goal: Maintaining Weight" forum that is a survey of what has worked for people that have been successful in both losing weight and keeping it off....
    A really strong recurring theme is that they didn't exclude anything from their diet.

Moderation not exclusion worked for me.