RESTRICTIONS???? URGH

Options

Replies

• staveshabr
    staveshabr Posts: 74 Member
    Options

just searching for other opinions

READ THIS: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=guide+to+sexypants

Ignore the rest. Read it ^^:wink:

THAT is a great post full of wonderful wisdom.

i have to wait to get home to read
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    You do not need to restrict yourself. MFP has no diet, you can eat whatever you like on it be that unhealthy or healthy foods. You choose what you want to eat as long as you stay within your calories at the end of the day. I personally eat whatever I like, I do not restrict myself. And most of the time it's unhealthy (I know...really bad) but I work out a lot, and that's because I like to snack at night and need more calories (I know, eating at night is bad).

Eat however you like. You said you binge, well don't have that junk food in the house. Buy single items and don't have many in the house at one time, have mainly healthy foods in your house. If you need more calories, reset your weight loss limit to half a pound per week. I know it is hard for you but you have all our support.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    There are no inherently evil foods...there are just foods with varying degrees of nutritional value. You really want to look at your diet (noun) from a nutritional point of view rather than demonizing foods and macro/micro-nutrients. Eat a balanced diet and get your proper nutrition...and enjoy some cake or your whopper or whatever. Also understand that proper nutrition requires more than just fruit and veg...those are great sources of vitamins and minerals, but you also have protein requisites and fat requisites for proper nourishment.
  • Transformer711
    Options
    this is what i was thinking but so many people give the advice like no bread no pasta no rice no EATING!!! (ok im being dramatic but that what it sound like to me) i love spaghetti and burgers.

so its like stay within calories and enjoy right??

Yes! That kind of mentality is key, in my opinion, to successful, long-term and even enjoyable weight loss. Diets which completely cut food groups out are more likely to be way more unsuccessful. Besides, it's highly unlikely that you'll go entire life without eating a 'bad' food. You can still eat pasta, spaghetti, cakes, cookies, biscuits, McDonald's, fried foods, etc AND still lose weight. Trick is moderation.
  • staveshabr
    Options
    i use the word binge loosely umm when i say binge its like ill usually eat one cookie but if i didnt have any cookies in two weeks i ill eat 4 cookies instead of sharing with my sisters or instead of eating i serving size of doritos ill eat all 3.5 onces i dont tear up the snack cabinet like the cookie monster or anything but i would tend to over indulge
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    i use the word binge loosely umm when i say binge its like ill usually eat one cookie but if i didnt have any cookies in two weeks i ill eat 4 cookies instead of sharing with my sisters or instead of eating i serving size of doritos ill eat all 3.5 onces i dont tear up the snack cabinet like the cookie monster or anything but i would tend to over indulge

Have you cookies when you want just include within your calories. No need to deprive yourself this is what leads to overindulging.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I eat a fair amount of the right foods and a few of the "wrong" foods. Hasn't hurt my progress. Don't restrict. Portion control.
  • Daniloveshockey94
    Daniloveshockey94 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Just use IIFYM!!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,240 Member
    Options
    The way to almost certainly give up is to remove things you love to eat from your diet completely. As others have said, there are no bad foods, just bad amount of them to eat. Go for smaller portions mixed in with the highly nutritious foods like veggies.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I eat a fair amount of the right foods and a few of the "wrong" foods. Hasn't hurt my progress. Don't restrict. Portion control.

If eating bacon is wrong... I don't wanna be right...
  • staveshabr
    Options

i love this lol
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options

No no, don't worry, bacon is one of the right foods. I don't believe in regrets or "wrong" foods.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I ate six cookies and still was within my daily goal. Like everyone is saying, eat what you want as long as your within your daily allowance. Those people who you see that say to restrict certain foods, what do many of their tickers show? The people on here, who say there are no bad foods, what do their tickers show?
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    "So my advice to you is to simply have the least amount of bad food that you need to enjoy your life, but please don't kid yourself into believing that there's no such thing as a bad food; doing so will lead you to consume more of it than would simple, thoughtful, realistic consideration."

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/blogs/eat-run/2012/11/28/of-course-theres-such-a-thing-as-a-bad-food
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    just fir it into your weekly calorie goals. yesterday i had donut and mimosas for breakfast and a medium supreme pizza for dinner. both were delicious and this morning when i measured myself i still showed a loss on my waist circumference. granted i'll probably wont see any change on the scale because of the high sodium, but the loss in fat is good enough for me.

also OP, i'd suggest reconsidering opening up your diary. i think this place needs more of us who aren't obsessing over how clean our food is but are still seeing progress to have open diaries

oh and last year i lost 30 pounds eating pizza, ice cream, nachos, hot wings, etc in addition to traditionally healthy foods
  • ndwildbill
    ndwildbill Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    When I started this journey, I knew that if I tried to restrict certain foods I would fail. I eat pizza about once a week, but 3pieces instead of the whole pizza. Very satisfied with that. I too like whoppers, but now I am more than satisfied with a whopper Jr. Don't feel deprived, am losing (Long way to go), and making life style changes. Weigh, measure, and track everything I eat.????
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to add, pay attention to the tickers you have pretty much the same advice from the first 3 post and the weight loss to back it up.... lol. Again Best of Luck

Edited to add a 4th ticker.... lol

Just QTF here.

Enjoy your whopper. Or the 1/2 big box of whoppers malted balls and wine, like I did last night. :drinker:
  • judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I understand not wanting your diary open by you can get good feedback that way. I set my diary to be open to my friends only, then I found amazing friends. :-)

Good luck!
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I don't like the idea of restrictions or limiting or "can't have this, can't have that" idea. I like to think of all the things I NEED to put into my body on a daily basis (fiber goal, hitting 100%+ of my vitamins & nutrients for the day, etc.) and once I get all those, there's not a lot of room left for junk. If there is, I'll have some wine or extra cheese at dinner. :)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    All the replies above do not really consider other options for curing out of control binges and the need to binge. Sometimes, eating "treats" in moderation actually worsens the urge so be careful how you deal with your binges. If you find that you fall off the wagon too many times, you might need to review your strategy again.

It has been my experience that as you learn moderation and how to eat healthy that the urge to binge pretty much goes away. I have learned how to have a serving of foods I'd binge on and move on. I think bingeing is more psychological than anything.