Will one cheat day ruin my progress?

Ok so im doing insanity and im very strict on my diet. well last night i went to a friends house for poker. i hadnt eaten dinner that day because i was occupied with something else. well when i went i had a four loko (blegh) which contains high amounts of sugar. and i continued to eat tortilla chips with salsa in my buzzing state. ALOT of chips. well needless to say im very worried that i might have ruined some progress in my weight loss.

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    You didn't get fat from one night, and you won't get fat again from one night. You may retain some water weight, but most people I have seen doing Insanity are way under eating anyway.

Short answer, "No!"
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    No. You get back on track! May there be a temporary jump in your weight, yes but that's because our weight fluctuates all the time.

If you got pulled over and given a speeding ticket first thing in the morning, would you say oh well my driving record is ruined might as well ignore all the rules from now on. Or would you say let me be a little more cautious for awhile so I don't get pulled over.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Nopes.
  • wadedawg
    wadedawg Posts: 315
    The alcohol was worse than the chips because your body will burn it off before anything else, but really...

You hadn't eaten dinner that day and you had a beer (of sorts, that crap is nasty) and some junk? Big deal. You were probably still within maintenance. You're definitely still way below calories for the week. One night here and there won't kill a diet.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    No, you did not ruin your progress by eating some chips and having a drink.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    no it wont.

I have cheat days (mostly filled with booze beer and too man cals) It leads to a temporary increase on the scale, but a few days back at my planned eating and lots of water makes it dissapear.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Nope, I cheat once a month. Hasn't hurt a bit.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Happiness is the enemy. If you want to be successful you can never do anything you like, ever again.

Ok, not really. You can find ways to fit the enjoyable things into your lifestyle so that you can get healthy and be happy, and be willing to keep it up for the long term. :)
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Ok so im doing insanity and im very strict on my diet. well last night i went to a friends house for poker. i hadnt eaten dinner that day because i was occupied with something else. well when i went i had a four loko (blegh) which contains high amounts of sugar. and i continued to eat tortilla chips with salsa in my buzzing state. ALOT of chips. well needless to say im very worried that i might have ruined some progress in my weight loss.

Nah,, forget about it! One day will not ruin your progress. Several days will.

Also, think of it as weekly calories. For me I slacked on weekly calories so I can afford the calories for something like this.

FYI, I put on ALOT of calories last night and early am from drinking as well. I do not do it often so I will not beat myself up. You shouldn't either.:smile:
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Yes. You've ruined your chances for life. Give up now . . . doom, doom, doom . . . Binge eat. Rage quit.

Or not.

Back on the horse and whatnot.
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Nopes.
    ^^This^^
    You're good.
  • Thanks all. im still relatively new to this healthy lifestyle so im not too sure on how some things work
  • It happens but it won't stop you from losing weight. The bigger concern is your mind set while dieting. You went all day without eating. That's a bigger issue because you unknowing set yourself up to fail. Then bam - cheating shows up and you feel screwed.

So forget about one bad day and plan for success. Cause can't remember who said it but "if you fail to plan, your plan is to fail".

You can do it! Get up and get back on the horse.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    i failed a test in college once. i still got my degree.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    It takes 3500 to gain a pound, eat less food than that you won't gain.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Plus from what I've seen most people eat under their calorie amount, so all those calories leftover from each day will help you a bit I suppose if you do cheat. They add up.
  • patrickfish7
    patrickfish7 Posts: 190 Member
    No and in actual fact, it will probably help for several reasons such as extra 'guilt' workout the next day, system satiety etc.
  • wadedawg
    wadedawg Posts: 315
    It takes 3500 to gain a pound, eat less food than that you won't gain.

No...

It takes 3500 over your maintenance to gain a pound. Anything over your maintenance will cause you to gain, a real gain, not water weight, at least temporarily.
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Nopes.
  • Absolutely not! Cheat days are good every now and then and. Nobody is perfect, you're going to slip up sometimes. As long as you get back on the horse you're fine.