Will one cheat day ruin my progress?

2»

Replies

• RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    i failed a test in college once. i still got my degree.
    Excellent perspective.
  • LiveLoveLift67
    LiveLoveLift67 Posts: 895 Member
    I would be lost without my cheat days. They keep me sane lol. Actually i binge about once a week or every two weeks for one day. The scale will go up a couple pounds from sodium etc and then a couple days later its back where it was. Dont stress it. One day wont ruin all your hard work. Its only when you turn them into many bad days in a row that will do that.

Believe me i have lost 80 lbs and havent really given up anything i enjoy.
  • stefaniemazz
    stefaniemazz Posts: 179 Member
    I have a cheat day every Saturday, and I lose at least 1 pound a week.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    If someone ate a well balanced diet chalked full of vegetables, a couple servings of fruit and some lean proteins and healthy fats and went for a jog once in awhile but ate like **** and were sedentary most of the rest of the time would that one healthy day make them healthy and fit?
  • MissDireWolf
    MissDireWolf Posts: 14 Member
    I'm on the Optifast Plan on Week 13 and allowed one meal. I decided this past weekend to eat "normal" at my family's Christmas get together under s few conditions ( to work out at least 90 mins) and keep portions limited. I was so scared that my cheat day would mean having the scale go up but it did the opposite and I wound up breaking a week-long plateau with a 2 pound LOSS. I believe the slight spike in calories/food consumed actually was beneficial to my metabolism and in turn helpful to calm my nerves about "cheating". I even had a sliver of chocolate cream pie and a few potato chips!

You are NOT going to ruin your progress with one cheat day. Just make sure you don't overdo it with the actual cheat day and get back on your plan of eating clean and working out the next day. I truly now believe having a cheat day every once in a while is actually good!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    im very worried

No need to be, it's one night.

Personally I dislike the concept of "cheat" as it implies someone else judging you. Nobody is being cheated by your choices.

Look at your calories over a week and make sure you smooth out the spike.
  • stefaniemazz
    stefaniemazz Posts: 179 Member
    I'm on the Optifast Plan on Week 13 and allowed one meal. I decided this past weekend to eat "normal" at my family's Christmas get together under s few conditions ( to work out at least 90 mins) and keep portions limited. I was so scared that my cheat day would mean having the scale go up but it did the opposite and I wound up breaking a week-long plateau with a 2 pound LOSS. I believe the slight spike in calories/food consumed actually was beneficial to my metabolism and in turn helpful to calm my nerves about "cheating". I even had a sliver of chocolate cream pie and a few potato chips!

You are NOT going to ruin your progress with one cheat day. Just make sure you don't overdo it with the actual cheat day and get back on your plan of eating clean and working out the next day. I truly now believe having a cheat day every once in a while is actually good!

Exactly!

I always lose weight right after a Cheat Day.
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Hell no. Any weight gained would probably just be water retention from the sodium in the tortilla chips. (and that's why they're so good...nom nom nom)
  • pusheen12
    pusheen12 Posts: 192 Member
    If you go over your goal it will, otherwise no.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    No. I've had "cheat" weeks while on vacation and I'm doing the same right now.
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 905 Member
    ONE cheat day will not ruin your diet. It's only ruined if you have many cheat days and don't do anything to undo the calorie intake.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    of course not. but in my own experience, once cheated, always cheated...I had one cheat meal, and didn't see any consequence, then I start thinking "oh I guess I can do one more time"...and you know the rest.

So the point is one doesn't matter, really only if you can stop after one. :)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    It takes 3500 to gain a pound, eat less food than that you won't gain.

No...

It takes 3500 over your maintenance to gain a pound. Anything over your maintenance will cause you to gain, a real gain, not water weight, at least temporarily.
    I was getting ready to say this too. :smile: