To hell with lifting and stick to cardio?

Options
I've been lifting for a while now and while I like it (nay, I LOVE IT), I'm not seeing changes in my weight and it's driving my crazy. This week has been a bit of a setback to try and..re-start my metabolism but my weight has not budged. I weigh everything now so I'm not sure why. Any ideas as to why?

I've seen changes in my body fat but my weight hasn't moved. I know that seems irrelevant but it matters to me. So should I just stick to cardio and continue weights? I currently lift 5x a week (changing it this week to a upper/lower split instead) and I WAS doing cardio for 30 mins but I kind of stopped that. I'm probably gonna start back again.

But is lifting still good or should I drop my weight first THEN lift? If i should continue lifting, can you recommend a good intermediate program?

Replies

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    1. If your not losing weight your not in a calories deficit. Do you weigh everything that you put in your mouth?

2. It also could be water weight to, so give it time and don't stop lifting.
  • kassiebby1124
    kassiebby1124 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    1. If your not losing weight your not in a calories deficit. Do you weigh everything that you put in your mouth?

2. It also could be water weight to, so give it time and don't stop lifting.

1. Yes. I do. My net cals are 1400 if that matters

2. Okay could you recommend me a good program (or programssss) to look into?
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    But is lifting still good or should I drop my weight first THEN lift? If i should continue lifting, can you recommend a good intermediate program?

I haven't started lifting. All I do is cardio right now. I have 40lbs til I move from obese to overweight to healthy. I don't really even understand why it is important. :ohwell:
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Since you love lifting, why not do both if you have time?
    It appears that weight loss is more determined by your diet than exercise, so I think closer tracking of your calories would help, too.

59 lbs. down is great! Continued success to ya! :happy:
  • Jkowals123
    Jkowals123 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    When do you lift? I found when I lifted before
    eating I had the most success! This was all
    Pre kids and when I was doing another program.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Calorie Deficit for weight loss.

Exercise is for health and fitness. And apart from that, you are talking aerobic vs. anaerobic...so endurnace vs. strength. A well rounded exercise regime takes both into account.

Exercise can promote weight loss, but only indirectly. At the end of the day it all comes back to total calories consumed. Make sure you weigh everything and maintain a calorie deficit.
  • junlex123
    junlex123 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I haven't started lifting. All I do is cardio right now. I have 40lbs til I move from obese to overweight to healthy. I don't really even understand why it is important. :ohwell:

It doesn't have to be lifting necessarily, but one of the reasons resistance training of some sort is considered important is that without it you're not giving your body the stimulus that you want to keep your muscle mass. It's inevitable when eating at a deficit that you'll lose some lean body mass (which includes muscle) as well as fat, and without resistance training you'll lose a lot more lbm than you would with. Oversimplifying, but if you consider that muscles require energy and nutrition to be maintained (as in, cells die and need to be replaced even for the muscle to stay the same size), and when you're in a deficit your body will try to cut energy and nutrient expenditure on less important functions, if you're not providing stimulus that you need your muscles to be maintained, the body won't bother doing so, as it's inefficient to waste energy on something that isn't being used.

The net result is that even though you might end up in the healthy weight range, you will have lost a lot of muscle along the way, and will still appear quite fat as you'll have a fairly highly body fat %.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    body composition is much more important and relevant than weight - your BF% is dropping, whilst your weight remains consistent, that's a great scenario!! i'd keep lifting and learn to appreciate your body for what it looks like, not an irrelevant number on a scale.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Do both!

My weight hasn't changed a whole lot since I started lifting but I have lost a lot of inches and I have never looked better. I would never stop lifting as I have seen greater results than when I was doing cardio only.
  • KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    How long is a while? I did weight machines for two straight months, no success, then switched to StrongLifts 5x5 and it took me 6 weeks to see changes.

I also put my scale in the back of the closet in October because I'm done playing that game.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    re-start my metabolism

There is no such thing.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Do both. I hired a trainer in February & strength train with him 3 times a week (30 minute sessions), plus he typically gives me homework over the weekend. I do some form of cardio 5-6 days a week (3 of those I run), and I do Pilates once a week. It's enough variety to keep me entertained, and it's been working well for me.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    What sort of exercises/rep ranges are you doing at the moment?

For ME, doing a modified (for my own aims) version of starting strength seems to be burn a good number of calories.
    It makes sense to me that the big compounds moves burn calories, as you're hitting a lot of muscles that then need to be repaired.
    I try to hit around 175g protein every day, but I eat around 1000 calories more on workouts days with loads of carbs, following the lean gains methodology.
    I'm going for around 1lb/week weight loss and been have had to up calories a bit because the weight seemed to be falling a bit TOO fast and I was starting to stall on a couple of things.

There's no reason you can't do cardio as well - I'll often do running or cycling on 'rest' days. I also try and cycle rather than drive whenever I can (panniers on the bike for shopping), so burn a few extra calories everyday.
    As far as cardio goes, it buys you more calories to eat and improves your heart more than lifting does.
    I'm still convinced that a heavy weight's workout is about the best 'value' as far calories burnt/time/effort goes - not for the calories burnt doing it, but throughout the day.

I was going to suggest that I would try upping calories a bit and definitely making sure you're getting plenty of protein; however, not only does everyone's body work different, but definitely male and female bodies specifically in the case of weights.
    I do wonder if your metabolism has slowed overall, meaning what was a deficit now isn't much of one.

In the end, calories in vs calories out always works, so eating less should result in weight loss - presuming your body doesn't then decide to also alter the 'calories out' more.
  • kassiebby1124
    Options
    How long is a while? I did weight machines for two straight months, no success, then switched to StrongLifts 5x5 and it took me 6 weeks to see changes.

I also put my scale in the back of the closet in October because I'm done playing that game.
    Free weights for about a year but consistently since June or July.

To everyone else, I know I can't handle salt too well. It makes me swell up and this week my mom made a lot of high in sodium meals. But I will definitely look closer to my calories and combine lifting and cardio. I do weigh everything though so I didn't understand why my weight has been stagnant.
  • CariS001
    CariS001 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I would add in some HIIT sessions (high intensity interval training). If you don't have time for both, perhaps go down to 3-4 weight sessions a week and add in some HIIT. You could do tabata, which only takes a few minutes to get that punch of HIIT.

I know the frustration all too well of putting all the effort in and not seeing the scale budge! But, if you are REALLY maintaining a deficit (are you sure you are tracking everything??) and doing the work, you need to rest assured that your body is doing something positive, as hard as that is when the scale doesn't budge!

Another thought... how long have you maintained a deficit? You might do well to eat at maintenance for a few days (depending on how long you've been on a deficit), then plunge back down again into a deficit (not too big though!)
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options

To everyone else, I know I can't handle salt too well. It makes me swell up and this week my mom made a lot of high in sodium meals. But I will definitely look closer to my calories and combine lifting and cardio. I do weigh everything though so I didn't understand why my weight has been stagnant.
    I'm a lot like you in a lot of ways, but I'm taller than you. I maintain on 1800 calories a day, with all the exercise. And also I fluctuate a lot with water weight due to sodium.

You mentioned that you cut out the cardio. I think that's the answer right there. I don't do much cardio lately either, and my weight is stable. I was doing more when I did lose a few pounds.

You have lost loads more weight than I have (this time around), so I have to ask, have you re-evaluated your TDEE since your weight has changed so drastically?
  • kassiebby1124
    Options
    I would add in some HIIT sessions (high intensity interval training). If you don't have time for both, perhaps go down to 3-4 weight sessions a week and add in some HIIT. You could do tabata, which only takes a few minutes to get that punch of HIIT.

I know the frustration all too well of putting all the effort in and not seeing the scale budge! But, if you are REALLY maintaining a deficit (are you sure you are tracking everything??) and doing the work, you need to rest assured that your body is doing something positive, as hard as that is when the scale doesn't budge!

Another thought... how long have you maintained a deficit? You might do well to eat at maintenance for a few days (depending on how long you've been on a deficit), then plunge back down again into a deficit (not too big though!)
    The only HIIT I can do is kettle bell swinging. (I have a bad ankle)

I've been on this deficit for a few months. It's 1400 so projected weight loss is 1.9lbs or something. I may up my calories if that is too much of a deficit but my "aggressive" weight loss for my TDEE is only like 1525 or something like that.

I took this week to eat at maintenance and I had a 7lb spike (and retaining.water like a *****) when I weighed myself today.
  • kassiebby1124
    Options

I'm a lot like you in a lot of ways, but I'm taller than you. I maintain on 1800 calories a day, with all the exercise. And also I fluctuate a lot with water weight due to sodium.

You mentioned that you cut out the cardio. I think that's the answer right there. I don't do much cardio lately either, and my weight is stable. I was doing more when I did lose a few pounds.

You have lost loads more weight than I have (this time around), so I have to ask, have you re-evaluated your TDEE since your weight has changed so drastically?

Yeah I re-evaluated it. I always pick "couch potato" as my option so I don't overestimate but I work out often. The estimate for that is 1919 cals
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like you're answering your own questions. Salt, taking a week to eat maintenance, cutting out some cardio, etc.

What program are you currently doing?
  • Juggernaut_D
    Juggernaut_D Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'm currently lifting with my cardio during my rest periods between set. I get my workouts done in under 70 minutes and I feel great! I'm doing the program called Jim Stoppani's Shortcut to Shred, but I found there's dozen of workout programs that you can tailor to your goals on BodyBuilding.com. I like this program because the fat is going away while I'm building muscle (something people said couldn't happen). I weigh every day and take measurements. Check it out for a program that you might like, because if you love lifting, then enjoy it, because the more muscle you have the more fat you burn while resting throughout the day. Besides, maybe your weight on the scales hasn't moved because you're gaining muscle and burning fat at the same time? Just a thought!