Those who cut out sugar

Options
For those of you who cut out sugar for any amount of time, what kinds of foods do you normally cut out? Like, I know fruits have tons of sugar in them, so obviously not foods like that? Is it just junk foods or is there more too it?

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    none…

fruit sugar is not superior to other sugar…

eat in a deficit, hit macros, lose weight…

I promise it is that simple..

this assumes no medical condition that would make one sensitive to sugar.
  • tanigrrrrr
    tanigrrrrr Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I dont eat fruit, drink milk, full sugar soda, or anything for that matter.
    Some foods can be suprising though.. so i suggest just checking labels .. everyones diet is different so you may not have many clean foods that contain sugar depending on what you eat.
  • GoMizzou99
    GoMizzou99 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    none…

Ditto
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    For those of you who cut out sugar for any amount of time, what kinds of foods do you normally cut out? Like, I know fruits have tons of sugar in them, so obviously not foods like that? Is it just junk foods or is there more too it?

I only eat sugar from whole foods.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I dont eat fruit, drink milk, full sugar soda, or anything for that matter.
    Some foods can be suprising though.. so i suggest just checking labels .. everyones diet is different so you may not have many clean foods that contain sugar depending on what you eat.

what do you eat then?
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    none…

Ditto

+ 1
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    none…

Ditto

+ 1

+2
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    none…

Ditto

+ 1

+2

+3
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Any sort of diet or eating plan that encourages you not to eat fruit should set off warning bells in your head.
  • ndj1979
    Options

huh?
  • star5785
    star5785 Posts: 140
    Options
    I've noticed when I cut back on junk food in general it's much easier to maintain....by junk food I mean little debbie snacks, chips, cookies etc....not just sugar. IIFYM doesn't work with me in this case because I tend to go over when I indulge the sweet tooth.

I have a big weakness for them though, so I'm taking it a day at a time.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

huh?

You know? Like a whole cake or a whole pint of ice cream
  • shafa4321
    shafa4321 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    none…

Well said Nothing worse than fruit for my weight

Ditto
  • Chizakura
    Chizakura Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Fruit is healthy. Obviously if you eat too much you can gain weight from all the natural sugars contained within them. But natural sugar provides energy, not to mention the plethora of vitamins you get from fruit. Fruit is also a naturally sweet food, and will stop you from reaching into the cookie jar. Jonesing for a piece of cake or ice cream? Eat a fruit. It'll sate the sweet craving.

I recommend avoiding all added sugars, including artificial sweeteners. The easiest way to accomplish this is to eat *real* food as made in nature, not processed food.

As stated before, any diet or advice that suggests eliminating ALL fruit should set off warning bells.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I tried cutting out the "evil" sugar in my starbucks..........

And that was the hardest day of my life. :sad: Never trying that again!!

Seriously: I have been able to lose weight while enjoying the sugar things I like - within moderation of course. I do not track sugar.
  • ndj1979
    Options

huh?

ohhh got ya….so whole milk ice cream good….not whole milk ice cream bad….makes perfect sense...
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

huh?

Whole pint or go home (hungry).
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Fruit is healthy. Obviously if you eat too much you can gain weight from all the natural sugars contained within them. But natural sugar provides energy, not to mention the plethora of vitamins you get from fruit. Fruit is also a naturally sweet food, and will stop you from reaching into the cookie jar. Jonesing for a piece of cake or ice cream? Eat a fruit. It'll sate the sweet craving.

I recommend avoiding all added sugars, including artificial sweeteners. The easiest way to accomplish this is to eat *real* food as made in nature, not processed food.

As stated before, any diet or advice that suggests eliminating ALL fruit should set off warning bells.

I recommend avoiding this advice…

so eating fruit sugar will help you avoid eating other sugars, but then don't eat added sugar because that is worse than fruit sugar…sounds legit...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Fruit is healthy. Obviously if you eat too much you can gain weight from all the natural sugars contained within them.

You don't gain weight from sugar, whether it's from fruit or otherwise...you gain weight when you consume more energy (calories) than you require to maintain your weight.

Really, just eat a balanced diet, hit your calories and hit your macros. I do a 40c/30p/30f ratios of macros which is pretty well balanced and I still get to enjoy plenty of carbs...all the fruit and veg...and even eat jelly beans and ice cream...which I'm just heading out the door now to Stone Cold...
  • Chizakura
    Chizakura Posts: 29 Member
    Options

I recommend avoiding this advice…

so eating fruit sugar will help you avoid eating other sugars, but then don't eat added sugar because that is worse than fruit sugar…sounds legit...

Well ... yeah. Processed sugar is far worse than natural sugar. Fruit sugar isn't 'added' sugar because it's already there by nature. So I followed through with what I said. But of course, still in moderation. If you're tanking out on fruit you could definitely gain weight.