Low carb diet versus Low calorie

Options
So I have many friends who tell me NO ON CARBS! I even have one friend that just lost 4 pounds in five days by completely cutting out carbs!! I thought WOW thats for me. Problem is I LOVE CARBS. Then I have those friends that say no Low calorie is better! So I thought what sound I do! One or both or none! So I googled Low carb diet versus low calorie and this is what I read and liked. Good information to me so I wanted to share it with all! I also googled Low carb foods and I read a website that isnt completely cutting them out and giving me a little hope that I can still eat good with carbs!

Low carb-Low Calorie
http://www.weightloss-hq.biz/weight-loss-reviews/low-carbohydrate-vs-low-calorie-diet.html

Low Carb food Ideas

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/whattoeat/What_Foods_To_Eat_on_a_Low_Carb_Diet.htm

Mind you I didnt write these articles, nor am I promoting them I just thought they were helpful for me!

Replies

• 2BSuccessful
    Options
    I'm just a plain 'ol "math" sort of dieter. 3500 calories equals a pound. Eat 3500 calories less than you need to maintain your weight, and you will lose a pound. Eat 3500 calories more than you need to maintain your weight, you will gain a pound.
    Simple. 1245.gif
  • sharonuk10
    sharonuk10 Posts: 277
    Options
    I'm just a plain 'ol "math" sort of dieter. 3500 calories equals a pound. Eat 3500 calories less than you need to maintain your weight, and you will lose a pound. Eat 3500 calories more than you need to maintain your weight, you will gain a pound.
    Simple. 1245.gif

I agree with this. do not belive in a low carb or low calorie diet. eat 500 less or exercise and burn that 500 you will lose a pound. Lose to much to fast and it will come back. My opinion though and I am no expert. But it works for me.
  • emilysparey
    Options
    low carb and low calorie both dont apeal to me because u ma get good results faster but as soon as u start eating normally your body will grab onto that food with all its might and ull put it all back on, dont go lower than 1200, any lower and you risk your body going into starvation mode
  • scarlettiris
    Options
    I'm a math dieter as well. Calories make sense to me. I've seen a lot of people in my family , including myself, lose weight with low carb diets, but it's not sustainable because you are starving your body. I lost 20 lbs on the Atkins, but I couldn't stick with it. Not only that, but you are fatigued all of the time because you are starving for energy. Being healthy is not just about losing weight. If you have no energy, it is difficult to exercise and live the rest of your life.

I've been hanging around a 1500 calorie diet. You can't go too low for calories, so that your metabolism won't slow down. I've found that as I curb my calories, my carbs naturally are also curbed. I view my calories as money, and I want to spend them on something what will get me the most nutrients. So, I don't want empty sugars, I want fibers and whole grains. The app for MFP on my phone has made it not quite so tedious to count calories. I've turned it into a game, actually.
  • SandraMay1982
    Options
    I have done the low carb and I lost about 7 kgs or there abouts, put it all back on again when I stopped watching.

I am a firm believer in wholegrain foods, the granier and more "whole" they are in their natural form they are, the better they are for you.

multigrain bread and treacle or honey. brown rice. I even bought wholemeal pasta, just so I don't have to feel so guilty about eating pasta!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    so here's the deal with carbs. They aren't evil, and low carb shouldn't be a diet. There's nothing wrong with low carb as a nutrition plan IF and that's a big IF, you understand what you are doing, and why.

The reason why people cut out carbs and immediately lose weight is because the body, when deprived of carbs, switches from a carbohydrate primary metabolism to an amino acid conversion metabolism (using fat and protein as energy), this causes (for a multitude of bio-mechanical reasons) the body to lose a lot of water stored in it's muscles sites, thus the quick drop in lbs. It's not because you lost fat, or even muscle, it's because you lost water weight, which doesn't do much for you. This is also the reason that if you go off of a low carb diet, you immediately gain weight, the body will always go back to a carb burning metabolism if given the choice, and will "restock" those muscles sites with water (actually glycogen) as soon as you give it the chance, thus weight gained from it.

Study after study show that in the long term, eating low carb is no better for weight loss than eating a balanced diet with a calorie deficit. Some studies indicate that low carb is better for you, that's debate is still far from over, but the majority of researchers agree that the reason for this is because most people who eat low carb tend to eat more healthy meals just because there is less "junk food" out there that's low carb.

Bottom line is this, there are reasons to eat low carb or no carb, but weight loss shouldn't be one of them (IMHO), if you enjoy a low carb lifestyle, or have some medical reasoning to do so, then go for it, but before you do, do the research and speak to a dietitian about it, because it's not easy, and if done incorrectly, can be very unsafe. Otherwise, it's just as good a plan to go with a healthy, balanced diet with a moderate caloric deficit.

-Banks
  • brettatk
    brettatk Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I was (still am to an extent) a big proponent of the low carb lifestyle if done correctly. Note I didn't call it a diet because if you treat it like a diet you are setting yourself up to eventually fail. I feel great when I've been on it awhile but it's just not something I'm able to stick to long term. Because of that I've lost and gained the same weight over and over. This time I'm tracking my caloric intake. It's a very different mindset so I'll see how I do and whether this is the answer for myself. Everyone is different and has to find what works for them and most importantly they have to find something that they can stick with long term. Good luck with whatever you decide!
  • slimline1
    slimline1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hi, as you appear to know what you are talking about when it comes down to carbs v protein, would you be so kind enough to answer this question for me please?
    I used to attend Curves in Southampton England and after joining their nutrition classes, it was perceived, that because my weight loss was extremely sluggish, I would fair better on a high protein diet. This did prove to be the case, however, once I left and returned to normal healthy eating I put back 10 lbs of the 2 stone I had lost.
    Now I am on Slimfast and back to sluggish weight loss again, so I have put myself on the following ratio of 45% protein, 30% carbs and 25% fat of my total daily calorie intake, which varies between 900/1200, do you rate this as a good formula?
    Dieting has suddenly become a science, perhaps this way, it makes people money, my GP says exercise more and eat less!!
    My sister-in-law lives in Maine, they're into RED SOX.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Fruit and vegitables are carbs too.

Are you going to quit eating those?
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Hi, as you appear to know what you are talking about when it comes down to carbs v protein, would you be so kind enough to answer this question for me please?
    I used to attend Curves in Southampton England and after joining their nutrition classes, it was perceived, that because my weight loss was extremely sluggish, I would fair better on a high protein diet. This did prove to be the case, however, once I left and returned to normal healthy eating I put back 10 lbs of the 2 stone I had lost.
    Now I am on Slimfast and back to sluggish weight loss again, so I have put myself on the following ratio of 45% protein, 30% carbs and 25% fat of my total daily calorie intake, which varies between 900/1200, do you rate this as a good formula?
    Dieting has suddenly become a science, perhaps this way, it makes people money, my GP says exercise more and eat less!!
    My sister-in-law lives in Maine, they're into RED SOX.

I'll assume you are talking to me, because of the Red Sox thing. I'm not loving that ratio to tell the truth, but that being said, it's a very personal choice. Put it this way, as long as you get all your macro and micro nutrients, ratio is not as big of a deal as total calories. I'm also not a big fan of slim fast, it has a lot of sugar, and a lot of chemicals, not a proponent of chemicals as a replacement for flavor and/or preservation-color.

the fact that you're doing 900 to 1200 calories throws up some big red flags in my mind, but then again, I don't know you so won't make any immediate judgments on that particular bugaboo. Personally, I think you would be a prime candidate for a registered dietitian (or what ever is the equivalent in the UK).

Remember, "sluggish" weight loss isn't necessarily a bad thing. As long as you're going in the right direction, going slow doesn't hurt, and actually makes it easier to keep the weight off as your body isn't scrambling to adjust to new compositions all the time.

What do I feel are the keys to success?
    1) tracking calories accurately, and being honest about serving sizes.
    2) knowing how many calories you burn a day (with or without exercise).
    3) keeping your deficit to a manageable level.
    4) High Quality nutrition. I.E. fresh foods, fresh veggies, all your daily nutrients, plenty of calcium, and making sure the majority (80% to 90% ) of your carbohydrates are complex carbs (whole grains, fruits, veggies).

you do these four things, and I'm pretty sure your ratio will matter little (assuming you don't go extreme). That's the long and short of it. If you do this for 6 months and don't lose, then I would consult with a dietitian, because either there is something else medically going on, or you've made a wrong decision somewhere and don't know it (IMHO).
  • Kamila02
    Kamila02 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I always enjoy reading your stuff Banks! Resourceful, respectful, informative,... good stuff!
  • ashtonscoggins
    ashtonscoggins Posts: 105 Member
    Options

I NEVER said that I was doing either of these things. I was just saying that so many people hype over low carb, low calorie or even high protein diets. And I was just confused on whats better So I posted this for anyone who wonders the same as I did. Not saying either of these ideas are better than the other. Everyones body is different, eveyones story and opinion is different. Im not going to stop eating veggies or fruits! And there is actually some that DONT have as many carbs as others.
  • brettatk
    brettatk Posts: 12 Member
    Options

Low carbers eat a ton of vegetables if they are following it correctly. Fruits are more limited because of the sugar content.
  • eveunderground
    eveunderground Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2.5" 105lbs. Anyone who looks at my diet would think I eat a low-carb diet, I guess it is, but I don't consider it to be. It's certainly not the low-carb diet where you eat bacon, sausage, and eggs everyday! My lunch and dinner are usually lean protein and vegetables. I eat maybe 1 fruit per day. I only eat slow digesting complex carbs for breakfast- oat meal or oat bran. I generally don't touch anything made with processed white flour (white bread, pasta, etc), it offers no nutritional value, it essentially breaks down into sugar, spikes blood sugar levels, and causes cravings for more of the same types of foods. I'm not super-strict and I do occasionally eat other treats, but this is generally what my diet looks like on a daily basis. I also watch my calories and exercise portion control.

A big part of successfully losing weight is learning about yourself, what triggers you to make poor food choices, how you respond to cravings, what foods make you feel full for long periods of time, what foods give you satisfaction, etc. Keep in mind sometimes the stuff you think you LOVE is also the stuff that makes you the most out of control with your eating. (I've pretty much given up white potatoes for this reason...potatoes used to be my absolute favorite food...but always caused extreme cravings for more and more carbs, it's just not worth it to me to go through that). Eventually you can come up with an eating strategy that works for you, it doesn't have to fall specifically into any of the popular diet labels like "low carb" or "low cal", why limit yourself? The whole process does take time and patience...but once you figure it out it will work for the rest of your life.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Doing any kind of "low" or "high any kind of diet is a good way to fail. Too little calories and you starve yourself. Too high of protein and you can have kidney problems... just eat a balanced diet. You should be okay on 50% carbs, 30% protein 20% fat.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options

Low carbers eat a ton of vegetables if they are following it correctly. Fruits are more limited because of the sugar content.

I think a lot of the misconception of low carb is because they take the "detox" portion of Atkins and South Beach and equate that to the whole plan...............Phase 1 (Induction) of Atkins is only for 2 weeks..............then after that you start adding back in foods according to the carb ladder (which is built on the glycemic index).

For those people that are "eating clean", then you are already eating this way.

Someone please point out where this is the LEAST BIT UNHEALTHY??!!??!!

For those of you that think you give up fruit, dairy, whole grains, beans, and legumes on Atkins are sadly mis-informed and greatly mistaken...

By the time you reach Phase 3 (Pre-Maintenance) you are eating all foods, except for cakes, cookies, white bread - stuff that all of us agree is bad for us anyway.............

Carb Ladder:

This is the order of preference which Atkins recommends for adding carbohydrate food back into the diet during the Ongoing Weight Loss Phase (OWL). They are roughly ordered as to how glycemic they are:

1.More salad and other vegetables
    2.Fresh cheeses (as well as more aged cheese)
    3.Nuts and Seeds
    4.Berries, then melons
    5.Dry wine (and other spirits low in carbs)
    6.Legumes
    7.Other Fruits
    8.Starchy vegetables
    9.Whole grains

Here is a summary of Phase 2 on Atkins:

Carbohydrates are slowly and carefully added to the diet. The main reason foods are added carefully and slowly is to help identify food allergies or intolerances that many of us didn't know we even had....... Weight loss slows to a recommended 1-2 pounds per week. Dieters figure out how much carbohydrate they can eat and still lose weight. This point is called their Critical Carbohydrate Level for Losing (CCLL).

What You Eat:

Each week, dieters raise their carb level by 5 grams per day until the appropriate level is reached. Since more carbohydrate will be progressively added to the diet during this phase, Atkins recommends it be done in a priority order he calls the “Carbohydrate Ladder”, where more vegetables are the first foods to be added, and whole grains the last. Atkins provides lists of foods in 5 grams increments to help dieters figure out their daily menus.

Length of Phase:

Phase Two is continued until the dieter is 5-10 pounds from their goal weight.

Goals of OWL:
    1) To determine the Critical Carbohydrate Level for Losing (CCLL).
    2) To expand food choices, and learn to make wise ones.
    3) To continue weight loss at a safe rate.
    4) To continue to eat at a carb level low enough to limit cravings and appetite.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2.5" 105lbs. Anyone who looks at my diet would think I eat a low-carb diet, I guess it is, but I don't consider it to be. It's certainly not the low-carb diet where you eat bacon, sausage, and eggs everyday! My lunch and dinner are usually lean protein and vegetables. I eat maybe 1 fruit per day. I only eat slow digesting complex carbs for breakfast- oat meal or oat bran. I generally don't touch anything made with processed white flour (white bread, pasta, etc), it offers no nutritional value, it essentially breaks down into sugar, spikes blood sugar levels, and causes cravings for more of the same types of foods. I'm not super-strict and I do occasionally eat other treats, but this is generally what my diet looks like on a daily basis. I also watch my calories and exercise portion control.

A big part of successfully losing weight is learning about yourself, what triggers you to make poor food choices, how you respond to cravings, what foods make you feel full for long periods of time, what foods give you satisfaction, etc. Keep in mind sometimes the stuff you think you LOVE is also the stuff that makes you the most out of control with your eating. (I've pretty much given up white potatoes for this reason...potatoes used to be my absolute favorite food...but always caused extreme cravings for more and more carbs, it's just not worth it to me to go through that). Eventually you can come up with an eating strategy that works for you, it doesn't have to fall specifically into any of the popular diet labels like "low carb" or "low cal", why limit yourself? The whole process does take time and patience...but once you figure it out it will work for the rest of your life.

Well Atkins is not the eat sausage, bacon and eggs everyday either. That is the misconception that the MEDIA has placed on the Atkins plan.

The way you are eating, is almost identical to how the successful people do the Atkins plan.

Your right, I think natural eating (lower carb) is the best way to learn how your body reacts to certain foods. That is the WHOLE premise of the Atkins plan, hence the reason as to why carbs are added back in, in a certain manner. To find out what trigger foods a person has, which is going to differ from person to person.
  • Lithuria
    Lithuria Posts: 132
    Options
    By cutting out carbs you are cutting out a part of your diet and thus automatically cut out calories. The same thing would happen if you cut out protein or cut out fat. The best way to do it is to have your carbs and eat them, but along with other food groups :)

People eating low carb diets will generally loose more to begin with as carbs are the bodies favoured source of fuel and so they will begin to burn their bodies stores of carbs, which are stored in solutions of water and more easily accessed by the body than fat. So they can kid themselves when the scales go down, but the fat will still be there ;)

Besides, some low carb diets, such as atkins, are totally counter productive and you have to keep consuming viatmins to help your bodys upkeep. Since when was a fried egg a healthier weight loss food than a carbolicious apple?

Also expect to feel more drained and tired. Carbs are much better fuel in general.

Lower your calories, yes, of course, it is calories that keep your body weight up, not carbs. You will feel much better for having your carbs though, both in terms of eating what you love and in terms of energy levels :)
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,683 Member
    Options
    I have nothing bad to say about the folks who choose to do the low-carb thing, but it's not my thing. I don't wish bad results for anyone who engages in that way of eating, and I don't feel the need to convert anyone who believes that is what's right for them. I also don't want anyone to try to convert me or tell me carbs are unnatural or you can't lose fat without cutting back on carbs. (Maybe some can't, but I do.) Before anyone suggests I need to learn more about it, I'll just state that I'm not interested in exploring a method that is so much different from what is working well for me and makes me feel great. I think it would be nice if all of us could discuss the positives of what we believe in without putting down other points of view. I'm sure we're all mostly really nice people in person. :smile: I'm beginning to think there are three things that should never be discussed: politics, religion, and carbs. :laugh:
  • saverys_gal
    saverys_gal Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    By cutting out carbs you are cutting out a part of your diet and thus automatically cut out calories. The same thing would happen if you cut out protein or cut out fat. The best way to do it is to have your carbs and eat them, but along with other food groups :)

People eating low carb diets will generally loose more to begin with as carbs are the bodies favoured source of fuel and so they will begin to burn their bodies stores of carbs, which are stored in solutions of water and more easily accessed by the body than fat. So they can kid themselves when the scales go down, but the fat will still be there ;)

Besides, some low carb diets, such as atkins, are totally counter productive and you have to keep consuming viatmins to help your bodys upkeep. Since when was a fried egg a healthier weight loss food than a carbolicious apple?

Also expect to feel more drained and tired. Carbs are much better fuel in general.

Lower your calories, yes, of course, it is calories that keep your body weight up, not carbs. You will feel much better for having your carbs though, both in terms of eating what you love and in terms of energy levels :)

Do you speak from any personal experience at all? Because if you ask a lot of low carb members on here, almost ALL of us will say that we have more energy than we ever thought possible!

Clearly you didn't read what lioness had to say about how Atkins works-you don't eat fried eggs, bacon and sausage every day. You also do add fruit back into the eating plan. I fuel my body on protein, fiber and good, healthy sources of carbs.

And the scale has gone down down DOWN...and what fat? I definitely don't see any fat hanging around on my body from eating a low carb diet. :flowerforyou: