What do you do when you want to burn 100 calories?

Options

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I like to take an hour or two nap. Usually gets the job done.
  • maybyn
    maybyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Curious, I presume that all the PPs here are referring to 100 gross calorie burns, right?

But if you weren't doing the "walk/jump rope/cleaning/breastfeeding etc" for that length of time, then you would be sitting down or doing something else that will burn say, 50 calories in total.

So, in actual fact, you should be taking into account 100 net calorie burns which means that you need to do double (or 1/3 more etc) of whatever activity you do to burn the 100 calories!

Am I overthinking things?
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Dancing to One Direction??? :noway: That statement is just wrong in so many ways!!!

I do not usually plan my workouts in 100 calorie increments but a nice long dog walk would work for me. Bull Mastiffs do not adhere to the standard 3.0 walk so it's trek!!
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Run a mile.
  • StrongLife
    StrongLife Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I do vigorous rowing for 9 minutes or so.
  • sydneybeachgirl
    Options
    I do vigorous rowing for 9 minutes or so.

same here :)
  • 0shifty0
    Options
    I run on an incline for 10 minutes.
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Well for NOW at least...I can usually burn 100 in 10 minutes working really hard on the elliptical...but I would guess that will become less "doable" as I lose more and more weight.

I usually hover around 150-160 stride rate to do this....
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Breast-feed.
    Actually...I'm doing the exercise to make sure this never becomes a possiblity :P

(I'm a dude...)
  • SkippyDead
    Options
    i put the fork down.

Wow, that comment.

v.v
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    i put the fork down.

Wow, that comment.

v.v

Easier to simply not eat the 100 calories than feel like you have to jump up ams burn them.

Exercise for a training goal, not just to burn calories.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    i put the fork down.

Wow, that comment.

v.v

Easier to simply not eat the 100 calories than feel like you have to jump up ams burn them.

Exercise for a training goal, not just to burn calories.

You explained now politely than I was going to, so thanks.

But yeah, if I want to scrub a few hundred calories off my day I spend 2 seconds telling the cashier to replace the potato wedges in my 2 piece extra crispy meal with string beans and if I need another 300 more I give the biscuit to someone else. That takes 5 seconds total instead of running 50 minutes for the same amount. Then my workout can focus on working out instead of trying to hit random burn amounts
  • Jonesingmucho
    Jonesingmucho Posts: 4,902 Member
    Options
    x eats DavPul's biscuit x

and does crunches or planks through commercials
  • GothicaAdore
    GothicaAdore Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Clean the house. Its free, its easy and it needs to get done anyway.
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    8 minutes of tabata or 10 minutes of Vinyasa yoga... or ten minutes on the elliptical.
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    i put the fork down.
    Except that's not what she asked.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Basically as the title says. What exercises do you do when you want to just burn around 100 quick calories?

Jumping jacks, burpees and jump rope.
  • JustMeee333
    Options
    Why do you want to specifically burn 100kcal?
  • DannehBoyy
    DannehBoyy Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I like to run around the house like a nutcase, jumping, falling over and throwing myself off things whilst constantly flapping my arms like a bird. Not really. I would do about a 10 minute interval workout on the treadmill :)
  • crystalrose_tina
    crystalrose_tina Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I like to use the '7minute workout' app on my iPhone and do that two times. Its basically just 30 seconds of one exercise (pushups, burpees, squats, jumping jacks etc) with 10 seconds in between. Gets the heartrate up pretty quickly