Lifting for the inside or outside health?

Options
124»

Replies

• Amadbro
    Amadbro Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I lift so people will think twice before robbing or beating me up
  • daimere
    daimere Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I work as a nurse aide and I'd say if you have low bodyfat, the story is believable. Years ago when I started losing weight, I barely could do 5 lbs. Then I started working as a nurse aide. And I was so weak. I'd tell my co workers I'd need help rolling a person over all the time. They'd be so annoyed. Over the years, I got stronger. I'm considered one of the "strong" CNAs. I'm not the strongest but I know I've gotten stronger for sure. Last night I did one of my very very old strength programs. It was so easy. I had to up the weights twice because of the strength I have gained from work. I don't have guns but I also have high body fat. 5-6 days of rolling 40+ people weighing 100-300 pounds of dead weight takes a toll on your muscles. Although I do want to be even stronger so that rolling people would be even easier!
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Lifting increases your metabolism, which is always good for your heart b/c you're less likely to be overweight and tax your heart. It strengthens your bones, which is a concern for women who are getting older, makes you less prone to injury, gives you the ability to run circles around kids half your age!

I lift heavy and I don't have huge biceps, although, even though I was obese as a kid, am an endomorph with a very small frame, especially for someone who is 5'7! lol

Cardio is still necessary, as well as flexibility training, in order to reduce the risk of injury. I love heavy lifting but follow well-rounded programs that have all three..cardio/HIIT, weights and flexibility.
  • SCV34
    SCV34 Posts: 2,048 Member
    Options
    I work as a nurse aide and I'd say if you have low bodyfat, the story is believable. Years ago when I started losing weight, I barely could do 5 lbs. Then I started working as a nurse aide. And I was so weak. I'd tell my co workers I'd need help rolling a person over all the time. They'd be so annoyed. Over the years, I got stronger. I'm considered one of the "strong" CNAs. I'm not the strongest but I know I've gotten stronger for sure. Last night I did one of my very very old strength programs. It was so easy. I had to up the weights twice because of the strength I have gained from work. I don't have guns but I also have high body fat. 5-6 days of rolling 40+ people weighing 100-300 pounds of dead weight takes a toll on your muscles. Although I do want to be even stronger so that rolling people would be even easier!

Thanks for sharing your experience! I was strong from the get go as a nurses aide, think that was the environment I grew up in. Not much body fat either, never had much and still don't at 42. Weight has never been an issue for me as I have been active all my life and usually don't over eat.

After reading everyone's motivations and the health reasons to incorporate lifting into an exercise routine is something I may consider doing.
  • SCV34
    Options
    Well, that's reason enough!
  • SCV34
    Options
    I lift so people will think twice before robbing or beating me up

Well, that's reason enough!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Mental health for me. I enjoy doing it and it helps fight depression. The other benefits are a bonus.
  • Summer5555
    Summer5555 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Started and continue lifting for inside health but I must admit, I am looking forward to the physical transformation when I've lost more weight. When I get to 80 I want to have the bones of a 30 year old, I have also seen what muscle wastage does as you get older if you live a sedentary life.
  • Bump!
  • 1ZenGirl
    1ZenGirl Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    bump