Your Goal : Fitness or Looks ?

Options
Answer honestly please..... I'm seeing far too many posts focusing on how people want to 'look' and the transporter to it is excercise/diet. It's almost as if they're abusing their fitness skills.

For myself it's the opposite and is strictly fitness the looks are a bonus (mind you I am enjoying them too :happy:) but my primary goal is to go beyond what I see as being a good healthy fitness level and head towards Olympic fitness. This is a tough/impossible goal and most probably not achievable at my age - however I'm giving it my best shot.

ps Currently I consider myself very unfit, my journey started 3 months ago and have come a long way but I estimate I've got 12 more months until I can gauge my full potential. Any like minded people are welcome to add me :)

Replies

• pcdoctor01
    pcdoctor01 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Both, I want to be fit but look good also.
  • laceyfowler
    laceyfowler Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Definitely both :-) I certainly want to feel healthier - I like being able to play harder, jog longer, hike further, etc, and I want to live a looong, healthy, and happy life - but I readily admit that I also really enjoy looking better! I have more fun shopping for clothes (or going to the beach, of a ton of other situations) when I am more fit. And, the way our society works, like it or not, being more attractive (this includes presenting oneself with confidence) has significant benefits in both personal and professional/work interactions. Fair? No... but fact? Yes.

Bottom line - both fitness and looks are important factors in becoming healthier and maintaining a good level of health. And, I'm okay with that - both reasons help with my motivation to be healthy, so as long as not taken to an unhealthy level, both are beneficial to my goals of being fit and healthy :-)
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I'm here because I want to feel comfortable in my body...that means being able to hike for miles, AND look awesome while I do it.

Why does it matter to you what someone's motivation is? "abusing their fitness skills"? That's a little silly. And condescending.
  • alechua
    alechua Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Both. But more on achieving the body I want. Because since I was chubby. :)
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    This is not a dichotomy. Both!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    My main focus is on what I can do (or to be more precise, being able to lift really heavy things), rather than what I look like, but yeah I agree looking good is a nice bonus :drinker:

Each to their own though, there's nothing wrong with having more of a focus on looks than fitness. Health should be a major player for everyone though.... as in it doesn't matter what your goals are so long as they're healthy and you're going about achieving them in a way that promotes good health. (that includes mental health as well as physical health)
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Looks. I was fit enough already, thanks!

The problem with fitness is that you have to define what you mean by it. Someone who looks very unfit can still run a marathon. That makes them fitter than me because I have no desire nor the fitness levels to run a marathon. I'd rather eat my shoes than run tbh. "Are you fit?" "Fit for what?"
  • dgm82
    dgm82 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Both
  • SweeDecadence92
    SweeDecadence92 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Looks! The benefits to my health and fitness are certainly a massive bonus and they keep me going when the scales aren't changing and the inches aren't in decline. I do really enjoy exercise these days, I feel I need it to keep my head healthy, I feel really gross and disgusting is i miss a few days exercise. Looks are the driver though!
  • sydneybeachgirl
    Options
    fitness - definately..
  • overcominglazy
    overcominglazy Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    80-90% looks. The life I plan on living does not involve being incredibly fit, just a decent level in order to keep me able to walk up a few flights of stairs. I have been marathon running level fit and it took up way more time and energy than I ever want to spend on an activity I enjoy, but not that much. And when I was able to run that far, I didn't look like a 'fit' person and most wouldn't have believed I was.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Strength/fitness, the looks will come as a result of that assuming you eat reasonably well.

We can all enjoy, and aim towards both though. Regardless of whether strength is number 1 or not, I still want to look good!
  • TamaraKat
    TamaraKat Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I am definitely fitness oriented though am reaping the looks too!
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Neither-I added exercise after I transitioned into maintenance because I needed new goals to work towards. I was happy with how I looked and felt without it (and I was very healthy). But, I'm determined to be part of the small percentage that successfully maintain their weight loss long term, and part of that is always having new goals to work towards.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,721 Member
    Options
    Health.

When I retired from being a fashion model at age 25 I resolved never to think about my appearance or diet again. I didn't care about my weight and put on 2 kg a year, every year, for over 20 years. Gaining 2 kg a year is an average daily surplus of only 50 cals. I shouldn't of let it go that long, though.

Started MFP when I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Have now lost enough weight to successfully reverse the diabetes. No more meds for that condition. Now I want to get off the blood pressure meds.
  • suppakana
    suppakana Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Started off, as most do, all about looks. Began becoming more fit, went "OH THIS IS AWESOME."

Now it's half and half. I like oogling my body in the mirror going "Oooh damn girl, flex it."
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Answer honestly please..... I'm seeing far too many posts focusing on how people want to 'look' and the transporter to it is excercise/diet. It's almost as if they're abusing their fitness skills.

I don't understand why this is an either/or and I must certainly don't comprehend the concept of "abusing one's fitness skills". Everyone has their own personal goals and each is equally valid as the next person's goals.
  • allopathicJ
    allopathicJ Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Fitness plain and simple..
  • lisacan2011
    lisacan2011 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Both fitness and looks!
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Fitness. If I happen to look good once I've reached my goal, then great.