Weight Loss Myths?

Options
2»

Replies

• Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    600 calorie meals being converted to fat?

That's a myth in itself, people.

That is a huge myth.

With extra calories our body stores glycogen first and then body-fat. If you are restricting your calories your body is burning up glycogen at a high rate especially while exercising. Therefor if you have a larger meal all you end up doing re-storing glycogen back into your liver and muscles. It's the exact same reason why it's not bad to eat late in fact I eat the majority about 75% of my daily calories after 6pm and on top of that I have 2 days a week where I eat very large meals.

The mainstream is pretty clueless when it comes to weight loss and that goes for many nutritionist and doctors. Did you know that eating 6 small meals being better for metabolism as opposed to 1-3 large meals is also a myth.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/meal-frequency-and-energy-balance-research-review.html

Also high protein and lower carbs definitely burns more fat than high carb low protein due to the Thermic Effect of protein.
  • SweatinSammie
    Options
    Not eating more than 600 calories per meal is just a rule of thumb. Eating a large amount of calories in one sitting is MORE LIKELY to contribute to weight gain. This is not a myth - it is a good way to help people pace their calories through out the day.

Once your body meets its metabolic needs at one meal the rest is more likely to be stored as fat.

ALSO, eating 6 small meals a day versus 3 normal meals does not make a difference. Neither is wrong or right. The point of eating every 3 to 4 hours is to send a signal to the body that it does not need to store calories. This is why skipping meals can be negative for our metabolism. However for some people 3 meals is enough through out the day to keep the body from storing calories.

I think the main point is that everyone is different and needs to eat in a way that is specific to their body. For people struggling with weight loss I think it's a great tip to not hoard your calories and blow them all in one sitting. Staying around or under 600 calories is a usefull tool.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    600 calorie meals being converted to fat?

That's a myth in itself, people.
    That's kinda what I was thinking but I don't actually have any proof.

saying "over 600 calories is converted to fat" is wrong, but the concept is not. The human body can only use a certain amount of food at any one time, if you eat too much at any one sitting, any food that is converted but not used either as energy or for it's other nutrient qualities will indeed be converted to fat for storage (or eliminated if it's not a macro nutrient). For some people that could be 400 calories, for others it could be 800, everyone is different, but that doesn't make the concept a myth, just the set amount of calories (I.E. 600), maybe that dietitian was speaking specifically to her when she said 600 calories, if that is the case than I'd say that for her, it's not a myth, but it could be the wrong number for most others.

edit - OOP, sorry, I guess I was a little late with this response, it was already said right above me. :tongue: