Too restrictive?

13»

Replies

• elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    aim for about 1 pound a week loss.

As a 5ft2 woman at 300 pounds, 2 a week is a healthy goal. (Though do expect that to slow down as the weight comes off. I started at 300, it started slowing down around when I got to around 235)

sure, if OP wants to have loose skin and lose LBM….then two pounds a week is fine..

I was just recommending a program that - IMHO - will allow OP to lose weight, maintain LBM, and lose body fat%….

but there is nothing wrong with two pounds a week either.

I think (?) the recommendation is to lose no more than 1% of your weight each week...so 2 a week when you are 300 is appropriate. With appropriate macros and exercise, she will retain LBM, lose fat, and be at no higher risk of loose skin. As I said, once her weight is lower, then yes, it's important to slow down. I am a believer in patience, too. Not sure if you've ever been 300 pounds? When you are that weight, if you really restrict you can lose more per week...2 is taking it easy.

Now, if the OP decides she would prefer to eat a little more, and lose more slowly, because that is more sustainable, then by all means, slow down.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Let's look at the menu:

Breakfast: 2 slices honey wheat toast, banana, 1 Tbsp. Jelly or jam, 1 cup white seedless grapes

CRAP! You don't need all that sugar. 2 fruits and jelly and starch! How about some eggs, or some oats? Even a bowl of Reese's puffs beats this.

Snack 1: 1 cup vanilla ice cream

ICE CREAM is full of crap! Get rid of it! 1cup is a double serving... NO sensible diet book will recommend this for a 'snack'.

Lunch: 300 calories: veggie burger with one slice cheese, pickle, lettuce, 2 slices tomato, ketchup, mustard, small tossed salad with low calorie salad dressing

Get rid of the sugary ketchup. What is the "low calorie" dressing? It is "lite ranch"? Use a vinaigrette.

Snack 2: fiber one bar, 1/2 cup strawberries

Where are you getting your diet advice? Kellogg's? Fiber one bars are small for a reason... they are full of crap and fake fiber!

Dinner: Kale salad: Kale, lettuce, tomatoes, olives, mushrooms and pepperoni with low calorie dressing

Pepperoni? WTH? ever hear of chicken on a salad?

Snack 3: medium banana

again with the fruit... you must love sugar, sugar!

The best diet? Lean meat (protein), vegetables, whole grains, fruits.

Shut up.
    Sugar is not harmful so get off the sugar soapbox.
    She's eating a lot more whole/'real' food than most do when they pose this question.

OP, more protein and fat will keep you fuller for longer.
    So trade some ice cream for some chicken (depressing I know =[)

It can be harmful if she has diabetes, which she does. I have it myself. Her blood sugar after her meals will be higher than it needs to be. The breakfast is especially high in carbs. I would recommend trading the toast & jelly and one of the fruits for a couple of scambled eggs with some chopped bell pepper.

I would reduce the ice cream to 1/2 a cup too.

The dinner sounds decent, but replace the pepperoni with chicken or lean beef, or add a serving of greek yogurt.

Edit: The Fiber One bar will give you the toots bad. Shredded wheat has no sodium and a good dose of fiber.

Edit 2: cuz I can't read. Replace the veggie burger with a home-made turkey burger.
  • I would cut out some of the ice cream, just not everyday. And 1400 maybe to low, and set your body into starvation mode which will not help you lose any weight. And where's the protein? Protein, lean meats, chicken breast, turkey. I was an over eater for years and years and years. Take everything day by day. Today I am going to log, and eat right. Try small plates. I use a 7in plate verses the 10in plates in my house. I find it easier to trick my mind into thinking I have a ton of food, and it helps me think I'm fuller faster. And water. Drink lots of water. Try to drink a glass when you start to feel hungry. Chances are your thirsty not hungry. If you still find yourself hungry, then eat. I also try to drink a glass of water before, and during my meals to help keep the fullness level up.

Every person is diffrent. Everyones body metabolizes diffrently. Good luck. You can do it, don't give up.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Let's look at the menu:

Breakfast: 2 slices honey wheat toast, banana, 1 Tbsp. Jelly or jam, 1 cup white seedless grapes

CRAP! You don't need all that sugar. 2 fruits and jelly and starch! How about some eggs, or some oats? Even a bowl of Reese's puffs beats this.

ICE CREAM is full of crap! Get rid of it! 1cup is a double serving... NO sensible diet book will recommend this for a 'snack'.

Lunch: 300 calories: veggie burger with one slice cheese, pickle, lettuce, 2 slices tomato, ketchup, mustard, small tossed salad with low calorie salad dressing

Get rid of the sugary ketchup. What is the "low calorie" dressing? It is "lite ranch"? Use a vinaigrette.

Where are you getting your diet advice? Kellogg's? Fiber one bars are small for a reason... they are full of crap and fake fiber!

Dinner: Kale salad: Kale, lettuce, tomatoes, olives, mushrooms and pepperoni with low calorie dressing

Shut up.
    She's eating a lot more whole/'real' food than most do when they pose this question.

It can be harmful if she has diabetes, which she does. I have it myself. Her blood sugar after her meals will be higher than it needs to be. The breakfast is especially high in carbs. I would recommend trading the toast & jelly and one of the fruits for a couple of scambled eggs with some chopped bell pepper.

The dinner sounds decent, but replace the pepperoni with chicken or lean beef, or add a serving of greek yogurt.

Edit: The Fiber One bar will give you the toots bad. Shredded wheat has no sodium and a good dose of fiber.

Edit 2: cuz I can't read. Replace the veggie burger with a home-made turkey burger.

I clearly missed the fact she has diabetes.
    It can be harmful for her, yes but in general, if you don't have a disease or allergy, no food is bad.

I do agree with your breakfast suggestion but scrambled eggs (or poached, boiled, fried, etc) will keep her fuller for longer.
    Add in some bacon (real or turkey) or sausage with the grapes, and that's a pretty good breakfast.

I'd make the ice cream dessert with the strawberries.
    And either greek yogurt, cheese sticks, jerky, hard boiled eggs, as snack 1 instead.

Pepperoni isn't bad for you (I don't like it so I don't eat it)
    But tuna is very filling as well (mmm tuna) and go great on a salad
    There are ways to make homemade veggie burgers using beans (black, chickpeas, etc) or quinoa as the base.
  • Phildog47
    Phildog47 Posts: 255 Member
    Let's look at the menu:

Shut up.

This was the point I was trying to make. Sugar and refined carbs only increase the bad cravings. The personal attack was unwarranted. But thanks for the PR in the gym.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Let's look at the menu:

Ice cream is NOT crap. OP, ignore all of this.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Oh and OP please dont let the people saying your diet is CRAP (extremely rude) sway you or deter you. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS GOOD OR BAD FOOD OR HEALTHY OR JUNK FOOD!!

There's no such thing as junk food? You've just made my kids' day! Yay, a snicker bar for bf, lunch and dinner, why not?

Snickers you say? Excellent fuel during a long run. Definitely not 'crap'.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    I am 5'2" tall and weigh 300 lbs. I am wondering if this 1400 calorie diet be too restrictive for me?
    Here is a meal plan below:
    Would this diet be too restrictive for me? I plan to consume 1400 calories a day, at least for a while. However, I need to learn how to eat smaller portions. I want to be able to eat smaller or moderate portions but that is not one of my strong points. I also tend to binge and need to exercise more. As you well know, I have been having issues with a weight loss plateau and with binging. I am also bipolar with anxiety issues. Would that also play a factor in binging?

Here is a sample 1400 calorie diet:

I won't tell you what you should be doing...that has to be your choice. I will share with you what MFP calculated for me.

At 206lbs...lightly active...it recommends a Net of 1200 calories. That will give me a weight loss of 1.8 lbs a week.

I have a tendency to not eat back my calories that I work off. So I upped my intake to 1400...make sure that I exercise daily...and call it even. If I do more exercise than normal...some days I will eat part of those calories back.

I do the 80/20 eating...I love any type of cracker so I allow myself to use some of my calories for those.

Good luck...it gets easier as you go once you re-educate yourself on food. I read everything that I could get my hands on and then 75% of it out until I found something that works for me. I eat basically the same things that I did before...just cooked lighter and controlled portions.
  • loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Let's look at the menu:

OMG..I literally almost died reading this...hearing in my head the tone in which it was probably said..you are funny, dude, no doubt about that *chuckles* :)
  • Shoechick5
    Shoechick5 Posts: 221 Member
    OP.... let me start by saying that nothing is off limits with MFP but you have to be meeting your macros first. Are you getting all of your proper nutrition with 1,400 calories and eating ice cream and pepperoni? if so, then WTH....but I fear you're not. There's very little protein and a ton of processed foods in your diet. Try and eat more whole foods. More vegetables instead of the fruit. No one is saying don't have fruit, but try some fiberous veggies. Try scrambled eggs with your toast occassionally so you can cut the sugar. Eggs will keep you fuller and are a lot better for you than Jam. Instead of a processed veggie burger, use a chicken breast or a piece of salmon or even make your own veggie burger.

To be able to do this long term you need to be getting a lot of bang for your buck on using your calories and I don't think you're using them as wisely as you could to keep you satisfied.