Milk?!?!

Options

Replies

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I switched to almond milk for the lower calories. found I stopped getting the painful gas and bloating I had been told was IBS. What a way to find out your lactose intolerant right lol. so yeah it will definitely be a life long switch for me, though I do miss icecream. Yes there are other ways to get the nutrients in milk. If you dont like milk you certainly dont need to force yourself to drink it.
    You don't need to give up milk or ice cream just because you're lactose intolerant.
    10989565_201312231313.jpg
  • Henrichette
    Henrichette Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It's an additional positive aspect in my opinion :)
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    OP said nothing about almond milk. The replies are saying almond milk saves SOOO many calories.

I am not sure where you shop, but I can get almond milk at 30 cals a cup. That's actually quite a big difference % wise.

However, I only use it for cooking as it tastes nasty (plus the texture is bleh!).

We are very limited on American products here.

Well...the OP is from the States. Also, you can get it in the UK...so not an "American" product.

How am I supposed to know what is available in the States and UK in Japan?
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    You can get more calcium from a vitamin and more protein from an egg. Milk is made for babies to gain weight. Dieting people don't need it.
    You don't need the cheese or pizza that's in your ticker either...

Well, YOU don't.

Wtf is that supposed to mean? Everyone loves pizza. Anyways OP said they don't even like milk but wondering if they should force themselves to drink it. Simply stating protein and calcium come from other sources other than hormone injected water.
    Simply stating != adding in an unnecessary loaded language fallacy.

Both times.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    OP said nothing about almond milk. The replies are saying almond milk saves SOOO many calories.

I am not sure where you shop, but I can get almond milk at 30 cals a cup. That's actually quite a big difference % wise.

However, I only use it for cooking as it tastes nasty (plus the texture is bleh!).

We are very limited on American products here.

Well...the OP is from the States. Also, you can get it in the UK...so not an "American" product.

How am I supposed to know what is available in the States and UK in Japan?

You are not...I was just letting you know that you can get it at 30 cals a cup which is why people were saying you can save a lot of calories - a point you seemed to object to. Now you know.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    If you don't like milk, try vegetable milk! There are many kinds as soy, almond and rice milk ; moreover they usually contain less fat.

Is less fat a selling point? What's wrong with the fat from milk?
    Fat makes you fat. Do you even 1980's?
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    If you don't like milk, try vegetable milk! There are many kinds as soy, almond and rice milk ; moreover they usually contain less fat.

Is less fat a selling point? What's wrong with the fat from milk?
    Fat makes you fat. Do you even 1980's?

Alas, I was born in 1987 so I missed that craze. /sips full fat milk
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    What is going on in here?
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Here's how to make weight loss sustainable:

If you don't like it, don't eat/drink it. There are other ways to get those nutrients.

If you like it, and it fits your calories for the day, eat/drink it.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    I switched to almond milk for the lower calories. found I stopped getting the painful gas and bloating I had been told was IBS. What a way to find out your lactose intolerant right lol. so yeah it will definitely be a life long switch for me, though I do miss icecream. Yes there are other ways to get the nutrients in milk. If you dont like milk you certainly dont need to force yourself to drink it.

try lactose free milk like Lactaid. you won't get gassy or bloated from it and it's slightly sweeter than regular milk. i gave up milk for a few years because of LI symptoms like yours and i started back with Lactaid for my protein shakes and have had no problems with it at all.
  • cookieshop
    Options
    i like to drink milk...yum...its the source of most of the 'dairy products' recommended above so why not just have it straight...its got proteins( whey and casein), calcium (though not much in fat free milks). a glass of warm milk before bed time soothes you into a good nights sleep :-)

but hey, do what you want, don't like it for the taste then you can add unsweetened cocoa or whatever floats your boat
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Dairy milk is a much better source o protein, about 9 gms /cup; almond milk only 1.5 gms.

Not sure about the US but in Canada they cannot label almond and soy beverages as "milk" because, well, they're not milk.
    Also, milk in Canada is hormone free.
  • 20Grit
    20Grit Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I don't like cow milk either, My fav option is coconut & flax teat milk. =)
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Make the switch to Almond Milk less calories
    Less calories, less fat, less protien, less of everything...
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    So i never in my life used to drink milk, I have always hated the taste and the smell. I am training myself to like more healthy things and I have always known that milk is good for you, but how is it for someone trying to lose weight? I feel like its calories that may not always be necessary to consume...is it worth to my body what its weight in calories is?? Any thoughts on this?? keep in mind i am only starting out with a small glass one meal a day :)

I hate the taste of milk/chocolate milk and haven't drank it straight up since I was a kid (I don't mind it if it's an ingredient in a recipe, as long as I can't taste it lol). Not drinking milk hasn't been good/bad for me. I got fat not drinking it and I got thin not drinking it. I'm now maintaining not drinking it. If you don't like it, then don't drink it.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    [...]

Edited out a reply to the person arguing against almond milk. Changed my mind, just don't feel like getting into it.

Ahhh, I wish you wouldn't have edited. I'm sure everyone would have loved your post in support of the "awesomeness" of almond "milk".

Besides, that guy is a real jerk...giving his opinion like that.

(Doesn't he know that we're all here for the same reason???)
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    This might be the best milk thread I've ever seen.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    My goodness ..did someone piss in everyone's Wheaties and milk of choice this morning?
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Oh, speaking of non-milk milk. I drink milk. But, I also like coconut milk. But, I don't consider them to be equivalent. The taste and nutrition are very different. Milk has calcium and protein and fat. Coconut milk has fat. But, I just like coconut milk for some things. I always use real milk in cereal or things that call for milk. Coconut milk I have on it's own as a tasty treat or as part of a smoothie.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Oh, speaking of non-milk milk. I drink milk. But, I also like coconut milk. But, I don't consider them to be equivalent. The taste and nutrition are very different. Milk has calcium and protein and fat. Coconut milk has fat. But, I just like coconut milk for some things. I always use real milk in cereal or things that call for milk. Coconut milk I have on it's own as a tasty treat or as part of a smoothie.

Ugh.

You just poked a hole in my otherwise perfectly solid stance against all things nut "milk"...

...because coconut "milk" *is* delicious...and is a wonderful addition to delicious tropically-themed smoothies.

Now I have to reconsider everything I have ever believed to be true.

:indifferent: