How Can Everyone Afford Quest Bars?

Replies

• Try a couple hard boiled eggs (even just the whites) and a small bit of oatmeal for a cheaper, better substitute under a buck?
  • I figure about a penny per calorie is the norm for my TDEE (I eat about 2,500 calories per day). So a Quest bar is about 1.25 cents per calorie, not too extravagant.

So, $25 per day is what you spend? That sounds utterly absurd IMO.
  • MstngSammy
    MstngSammy Posts: 436 Member
    I make my own protein bars. I'm not buying this crap. I like making my own because I know exactly what's in them and the exact process it took in making them. Not to mention the amount of $ I save for some of the best protein bars you can have.

Flax, Honey, protein powder, coco powder, all natural peanutbutter and milk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df7yixMZWJo

Here's a vid on how to make them. No baking required. Save your money.

I'm saving this quote for later.

Not everyone can afford $2-$5 coffee or personal trainers lol. I'm stretching it with making my own coffee and paying $40 a month for gym dues.
  • MstngSammy
    I prefer Clif Bars.

I use those too. Some are better than others.
  • Quest bars are being sued for not meeting labels claims.

Real food is better btw
  • KatieWH
    KatieWH Posts: 68 Member
    I make my own protein bars. I'm not buying this crap. I like making my own because I know exactly what's in them and the exact process it took in making them. Not to mention the amount of $ I save for some of the best protein bars you can have.

Not everyone can afford $2-$5 coffee or personal trainers lol. I'm stretching it with making my own coffee and paying $40 a month for gym dues.

Also interested in this recipe. I have made my own before but they were never no bake!
  • Amadbro
    Amadbro Posts: 750 Member
    I prefer Clif Bars.

Cliff bars are one of the worse ones you can purchase. Read the ingredients, chances are there will be some words on there you couldn't even pronounce..this is a no no.
  • Amadbro

After making my own, I'd never buy another from the store. They are sooo much more healthy. You know exactly what's in them and arn't depending on some ingredient label. Plus you can get even more creative and add different flavors of whey.
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    I've never had one either and I make my own coffee. I also make various types of bars if I want them.
  • babyblues4
    babyblues4 Posts: 241 Member

After making my own, I'd never buy another from the store. They are sooo much more healthy. You know exactly what's in them and arn't depending on some ingredient label. Plus you can get even more creative and add different flavors of whey.

What protein powder is good to use?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    I prefer Clif Bars.

Cliff bars are one of the worse ones you can purchase. Read the ingredients, chances are there will be some words on there you couldn't even pronounce..this is a no no.
    Really? Have you actually read the ingredients on a Clif Bar? I'm guessing no.

Blueberry Crisp Clif Bar:
    Ingredients: Organic Brown Rice Syrup, ClifPro® (Soy Rice Crisps [Soy Protein Isolate, Rice Flour, Barley Malt Extract], Organic Roasted Soybeans, Organic Soy Flour), Organic Rolled Oats, Blueberry Fruit Pieces (Concentrated Apple Puree, Glucose Syrup, Oat Fiber, Pectin, Elderberry Juice Concentrate [Color], Citric Acid, Concentrated Blueberry Puree, Natural Flavor), Organic Almonds, ClifCrunch® (Organic Oat Fiber, Inulin [Chicory Extract], Organic Milled Flaxseed, Organic Oat Bran, Organic Psyllium), Organic Cane Syrup, Blueberries (Blueberries, Apple Juice Concentrate), Organic Date Paste, Almond Butter, Organic Sunflower Oil, Natural Flavors, Sea Salt, Citric Acid.

Which of these should I not be able to pronounce?
  • Amadbro
    I prefer Clif Bars.

Ingredients: Organic Brown Rice Syrup, ClifPro® (Soy Rice Crisps [Soy Protein Isolate, Rice Flour, Barley Malt Extract], Organic Roasted Soybeans, Organic Soy Flour), Organic Rolled Oats, Blueberry Fruit Pieces (Concentrated Apple Puree, Glucose Syrup, Oat Fiber, Pectin, Elderberry Juice Concentrate [Color], Citric Acid, Concentrated Blueberry Puree, Natural Flavor), Organic Almonds, ClifCrunch® (Organic Oat Fiber, Inulin [Chicory Extract], Organic Milled Flaxseed, Organic Oat Bran, Organic Psyllium), Organic Cane Syrup, Blueberries (Blueberries, Apple Juice Concentrate), Organic Date Paste, Almond Butter, Organic Sunflower Oil, Natural Flavors, Sea Salt, Citric Acid.

http://www.cornucopia.org/hexane-guides/nvo_hexane_report.pdf

"Other prominent companies, such as Lightlife, Yves Veggie
    Cuisine, and Clif Bar, continue to use hexane-extracted soy
    ingredients in their products. Consumers should demand that
    they adopt cleaner practices and switch to greener sources of
    soy protein."

http://liveanddiet.com/2013/11/clif-bars-are-bad-for-you.html

"And, according to Dr. Michael Greger of NutritionFacts.org, brown rice sugar (or syrup in this case) is actually the most nutritionally deficient of ALL types of sugar."

http://likes.com/misc/the-top-15-worst-energy-bars

Seems like Cliff is #1

Seems like YOU havn't read the ingredients or have a lack of understanding in their content.
  • MstngSammy
    I prefer Clif Bars.

http://www.cornucopia.org/hexane-guides/nvo_hexane_report.pdf

"Other prominent companies, such as Lightlife, Yves Veggie
    Cuisine, and Clif Bar, continue to use hexane-extracted soy
    ingredients in their products. Consumers should demand that
    they adopt cleaner practices and switch to greener sources of
    soy protein."

http://liveanddiet.com/2013/11/clif-bars-are-bad-for-you.html

"And, according to Dr. Michael Greger of NutritionFacts.org, brown rice sugar (or syrup in this case) is actually the most nutritionally deficient of ALL types of sugar."

http://likes.com/misc/the-top-15-worst-energy-bars

Seems like Cliff is #1

Seems like YOU havn't read the ingredients or have a lack of understanding in their content.

Builder bars are what I have used (not exactly wonderful ing wise...I try to stay away from soy most of the time)
    They have been the best ing wise when the $ is short. We know your opinion of them, but, what would be your choice when strapped for cash?
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Like others, I just kind of consider them an investment in my health. But really, I used to eat out a lot and now I barely do. So while a lot of my food is more expensive than it used to be, my overall food budget is probably about the same as always.
  • GGDaddy
    GGDaddy Posts: 289 Member
    This thread got me to researching, thought I'd share. I'm going to steer clear of anything with more than a few grams of sugar, since I'm planning to eat bars before workouts and I don't want to sugar crash. Points me to Quest when I'm feeling rich, and Pure Protein when I'm feeling poor, though I'll miss the fiber. Prices shown are lowest I could find on the internet from a credible site. Maybe I'll make my own if someone answers babyblues4's question on the best powder to use...

Oh Yeah Victory Bars: 200 cal; 21g protein; $1.75; 8g sugar 20g fiber

Quest: 190 cal; 20g protein; $2.08; 1g sugar; 18g fiber

Clif Builder's: 270 cal; 20g protein; $1.50; 22g sugar; 3g fiber

Zone Perfect: 210 cal; 14g protein; $1.00; 15g sugar; 3g fiber

VPX Zero Impact: 400 cal; 30g protein; $2.15; 12g sugar; 6g fiber

Pure Protein (50g): 180 cal; 19g protein; $1.25; 2g sugar; 1g fiber

Think Thin: 240 cal; 20g protein; $1.69; 0g sugar 1g fiber
  • wordpainter09
    wordpainter09 Posts: 472 Member
    I wish I liked Quest bars sometimes. Cookie dough has been the only one so far that tasted decent to me but even then I didn't like it enough to buy anymore of them.

I didn't like them either! Really wanted to because they were so hyped to me. But there are other good ones out there that have that level of protein (Think Thin for example) that are somewhat cheaper and taste better IMO. Even the store brands taste alright and many come with 15-20 g of protein now.
  • Maybe I'll make my own if someone answers babyblues4's question on the best powder to use...

you can use any powder you happen to have on hand. optimum nutrition works great from experience.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Replace the Quest bar with a can of tuna and a Snickers bar (not together, obviously). 50% more protein, better taste, less money.

And twice the calories, lol. I don't like tuna, personally, so it doesn't help either.

Same for the person who said it's the same as 2 Greek yogurts. Those are not much cheaper here.

I typically stock up when there is a good sale. I have 3 boxes in my pantry waiting to be open. I only eat 3-4 a week though so it lasts me a while. They're not my favorites, but you can't beat the protein/fiber on them.
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    I have never had a Quest bar, they are not worth the price for me. I can meet my protein goals with less expensive options. Plus, when I want something sweet I make homemade baked goods.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    They really aren't that expensive. :huh: :huh: