How to burn 800 calories a day?

Options
I weigh around 240 pounds and I was wondering wha kind of exercises I can do that will burn 800 calories a day.

Replies

• TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    That's a rather lofty goal. I burn 800 calories running 8 miles, but you are heavier then me so it might be easier for you to achieve that kind of burn in the beginning. Buy a heart rate monitor and see how many calories you burn doing different activities. I would recommend the Polar FT4. It's very simple, effective, and inexpensive.
  • Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    That could be hard to do on a daily basis. Look into adjusting your diet as well to eat in a calorie deficit that in combination with exercise will help you reach this goal.
  • SlinkyAndHerAmazingBunsOfSteel
    Options
    According to MFPs excercise database, you could burn 808 calories walking for 135 minutes (2 hours 15 minutes) if you weigh 240lbs. :)

*edit* at a speed of 3 miles per hour
  • westendcurls
    westendcurls Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Do you belong to a gym? you could try out some of the group fitness classes while wearing a HRM. you could also try plugin workouts into an app called Noom, their calorie burn estimations are really close for me ( and much better IMO than MFP's ). Ive compared it against my HRM many times its always within about a 10 calorie range, their food tracking is a joke that's why I use MFP but I do like there exercises taking a lot!!

why are you looking to burn such a specific amount?
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i'm around 25 pounds lighter than you and looking at my past logs (i wear an HRM) this is a recen workout i did for 70 minutes that burned 840 calorie (i wear an HRM)

.25 mile run 2:50
    5*5 20" plyo box jumps
    5*5 turkish get ups (20, 15, 15, 10, 10)
    5* 5 push ups
    5*5 squat presses (60, 60, 60 50,50)
    average heart rate 165

i was pretty dead after that . besides that, the only other recent workout i've been able to burn that much was a 96 minute 10K where i burned 906 calories. i was also vry tired after that.

i agree that that level of calorie burn is not going to be something that you're going to be able to do on a daily basis, especially is you are eating at enough of a deficit to lose 2 pounds a week

i dont go for the huge burns often, but i do try to push myself at least once a month (at the most once every 2 weeks) to see how many crazy calories i can burn in at most a 90 minute session. the only reason i went past that for the 10k was that i saw how close i was to the 10k and decided to keep going to end at a nice round number
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    That's a rather lofty goal. I burn 800 calories running 8 miles, but you are heavier then me so it might be easier for you to achieve that kind of burn in the beginning. Buy a heart rate monitor and see how many calories you burn doing different activities. I would recommend the Polar FT4. It's very simple, effective, and inexpensive.
    Darn someone beat me to the run 8 miles comment.....well...you could go hiking 2-3 hours on hilly terrain.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Why 800 a day?
  • futurestarz
    Options
    Play racquetball for 1 hour each day. I just burned 900 calories, and it is so fun!!!!!
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do 800 calories in one shot, but I would recommend buying a HRM and Insanity.
    and then attemp to bun 400 calories in the morning and 400 calories at night.
    and if you do that, you may end up burning 1000 calories, as you stop exercising your body continues to burn calories,
  • sydneybeachgirl
    Options
    well...I go for a 30min running session on the treadmill, then do weights or squats for 15mins and whoooooops I am at 400...then I go for a cycle (cos I enjoy it) and there goes an other 400...in the eveningI stretch and do core strength with a Pilates class on the Pilates bed and whooops there goes an other 300.....far too easy for me to burn 800 a day :(
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I used to burn around 700 kcals by doing 40 minutes of stationary bike last year but I didn't use a HRM so it might not be correct; anyway, running or riding bike might be effective but you still need plenty of time to exercise, 1-2 hours at least especially if you're not trained.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for guidance and support in changing to a healthier you, friend me. It took me 18 months to meet my goal and I have maintained for over 2 years. It is more than just losing, it is about getting control of your life. Good luck.
  • babyj0
    babyj0 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Hiking is always a good choice if you want to burn 800+ calories.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna call this one out... why are you looking to burn so many calories in a day? If you're overweight, I'm going to assume you don't usually get so much exercise... so it sounds like you just want to start by busting your *kitten*... and subsequently burning out as you run yourself into the ground.

Be smart about your weight loss and the activity you choose, this whole process should make you better not worse. Perhaps something more reasonable would be to eat 400 calories less than you maintenance, and workout to burn maybe 400. The net effect is an 800 calorie defecit for the day.

Or better yet, just eat 500 less each day, and eat back your calories burned so you don't endup wrecking your metabolism and gaining all the weight back when you're done.

See when you eat a deficit for a long time, your body adjusts so that you don't burn quite so much on a regular basis. The same happens when you start to eat more too. Your base metabolic rate will have to catch up, and in the meantime your body will start putting on the fat again.

Just moderation and patience.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna call this one out... why are you looking to burn so many calories in a day? If you're overweight, I'm going to assume you don't usually get so much exercise... so it sounds like you just want to start by busting your *kitten*... and subsequently burning out as you run yourself into the ground.

Be smart about your weight loss and the activity you choose, this whole process should make you better not worse. Perhaps something more reasonable would be to eat 400 calories less than you maintenance, and workout to burn maybe 400. The net effect is an 800 calorie defecit for the day.

Or better yet, just eat 500 less each day, and eat back your calories burned so you don't endup wrecking your metabolism and gaining all the weight back when you're done.

My thinking was OP was aiming to eat and burn 800 a day.. Let's hope not. That's the only reason I can think of for the specific number.,..
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Only 800? What a wimp!!
  • southerndream24
    southerndream24 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I do that on my Wednesday workouts. I do a Nike Training Club class followed by a BodyCombat class usually burning over 800 calories. On other days I lift in the morning and run about 5-7 miles at night which gives me about a 800 calorie burn for the day.

As a distance runner I'm used to working out that hard. I'm not sure starting out with burns that high are a good thing for you. I say be less lofty with you goals and start out slower and build up .
  • sydkel29
    sydkel29 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Have you thought of Kickboxing? I don't go to classes anymore because I can't afford it. However, I was able to get on craigslist and find a stationary kickboxing bag and dvds off Amazon. I now do it at home. I have not used my new Polar Watch so am curious to see how it calculates the calories being burned.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    800 exercise calories everyday is an awful lot. Try to pick a more sustainable goal, that way you are more likely to lose the weight AND keep it off. Use MFP as your guide to figure out how many calories a day you should be eating. (Do not crash diet..you lose fat, muscle, bone, hair and most likely gain it back). Stay consistently within MFP's calorie goal. Log EVERYTHING. Find exercises that you love and enjoy doing and don't focus on a specific number for a calorie burn. Make this a lifestyle!!! If you start now and do it the healthy way...you will still look fabulous by summer time. Ok...maybe not bikini ready BUT awesome never the less!!!
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    That is a pretty lofty goal for starting out. I built up from 30 minute workouts years ago when I started to 2 hour a day workout last year. That usually burned about 1200 -1400 calories for me. YOu will have to break up what you're doing because it will get boring doing the same thing for that long. I did 30-45 minutes each on an arc trainer, elliptical and stair climber. Some people are really ito cross fit because it keeps you moving from one exercise to another very quickly and you don't have to work for long periods of time on one exercise. Even on the biggest loser, you see them doing treadmill, elliptical, ropes, kettle bells and many other exercises. You'll be better off starting with a lower goal, reaching that while eliminating calories from your diet. Lose weight that way, and then when you get fitter you can increase so you don't injure yourself and have to stop.