How to burn 800 calories a day?

Options
2»

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I weigh around 240 pounds and I was wondering wha kind of exercises I can do that will burn 800 calories a day.

Why are you wanting to burn 800 Cals per day?

What's your objective, and what are you already doing to deliver against it?
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    ZUMBA !!!
  • westendcurls
    westendcurls Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I do that on my Wednesday workouts. I do a Nike Training Club class followed by a BodyCombat class usually burning over 800 calories. On other days I lift in the morning and run about 5-7 miles at night which gives me about a 800 calorie burn for the day.

As a distance runner I'm used to working out that hard. I'm not sure starting out with burns that high are a good thing for you. I say be less lofty with you goals and start out slower and build up .

Wait your gym has a NTC class?!?! Sweet!!! I could so teach that!! is it 45 or 60min?
  • Just_Scott
    Just_Scott Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    walk 8 miles.
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Running can get you there... However, if you are new to it, probably you shouldn't do it everyday. Elliptical machine is just as good and lighter on your joints.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    This is the best way

Burn800cals_zps04ddd55d.jpg
  • Just_Scott
    Just_Scott Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    Not even Sir "stand up" Tony could attest to this! Well played....Senorita Cupcake!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    That's a very unrealistic daily burn goal and completely unnecessary. Just build your calorie deficit into your diet and exercise for fitness...it's much more efficient and you will be much happier.
  • blackcloud13
    blackcloud13 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    What do you like to do and what have you dine in the past? As you can tell from the responses above, there are lots of ways to do this - best to find one you'll like
  • Thimbelinda
    Thimbelinda Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I weigh about the same and find it is easy to burn 800 calories because I am moving more weight than a slender person. I have a HRM and burn more than 800 calories in an hour body combat class. If I was on the elliptical it would be about 700 calories in an hour.
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    That's pretty close to my daily average, but I also average about 1.5hrs /day exercise, and I probably have significantly more muscle mass than you, plus I am taller and weigh a little less and I'm a guy. Activities like 1 hr+ hikes (up significant elevations) or swims, or hours of walking and weightlifting daily will get you there, but I strongly urge you to set a lower goal, especially at first, so you can keep doing it every day and not be exhausted and give up. Plus, if you burn 800, that doesn't mean you should keep all 800 as a deficit necessarily...your MFP settings are intended to be used to set the deficit, then EAT BACK all exercise calories. I find if I do a less intense activity I'm more likely to keep my deficit, and if I do a 1,000 calorie + burn I'm likely to eat too much.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Move more....your young....walk to work? Do you take the bus? Get off the bus 5-6 blocks away from your job and walk the rest of the way. Do you drive? Park down the street at a public parking area and walk. Wear comfy shoes & bring an umbrella in case of bad weather. Do you like to shop at the Mall? or hang out at the Mall? park at the very freakin' end of the Mall parking...you know how big those parking lots are! And walk in from there. Yep! And ya I get that young people don't think walking is cool, but its cheap, free, and pretty fun once you get going!

You like to bike? Biking everywhere can burn calories. So can swimming. I bike everywhere. And then I bike some more. I'll bike to run errands too. It burns a boatload of calories too :bigsmile:

Lifting weights, lifting heavy stuff. Yard work. Moving heavy stuff. All burns calories. In summer, lawn mowing of all things burns lots calories.

Sitting on your butt does not burn any calories. :wink:
  • tabbyxxcat
    tabbyxxcat Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I've burned around 900 calories a day before between 1.5 hours on the treadmill. I split it into two sessions, a 30min one before work at 6am, then for an hour after work at 4pm. I set it at 3.5mph with a varying incline, which happened to be on the high side that fateful day. I do not add calories from the 5min cool downs.
    I usually lower the incline and burn more like 700 calories each day. I've seen bigger people with bigger goals than me try to lose at a faster rate, and going to the gym twice a day seems to help a TON.
  • Pete0725
    Pete0725 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    A great way to burn a ton of calories is to jump rope at a moderate pace.
  • southerndream24
    southerndream24 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Wait your gym has a NTC class?!?! Sweet!!! I could so teach that!! is it 45 or 60min?

It's a 60 min class and the only people allowed to teach it at my gym are certified by Nike.
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    That's a rather lofty goal.

Not really. I would think about 60-75 minutes of cardio would achieve 800. I do about 30 mins and usually hit about 470ish. Depends on the intensity too though.

Go HAM is the morale of the story.
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I don't know why you chose 800 specifically, but I burn 648 calories in an hour at my Zumba class.