Do you correct people on weight loss myths?

Options
13»

Replies

• kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    My best friend insists she gained a lot of weight while she was only eating one meal a day and not getting enough calories. When has a friend who puts her on fad juicing cleanses (you can't have grapefruit or other citrus fruits, OMG!!!) Who told her the common myth of the body storing any fat when you don't eat enough. I tried to explain to her she cant gain weight while in deficit, But she is convinced, because she lost on the juice cleanse. She is vegetarian, But doesn't eat much protein, mostly potatoes, pasta with lots of cream and cheese, and I can see how one meal a day could potentially put her over, especially if her body doesn't have the energy tomove as kmuch as she normally would. Also she drinks alcohol so there's that.

Now she's happy with her weight since when she gained she got boobs along with the other fat. Her new goal is to "firm up ". I am not even trying to explain to her that you can't firm up fat. Sigh.

Can you explain what you mean by you can't firm up fat please?
    In case you're serious, fat is fat, it's soft, flabby tissue. You can't do anything to change that, other than lose it.

So would I have to eat at a calorie deficit until I have a flat stomach before I try and make it look leaner?

Now you're just trolling and setting up the bait to go on a lifting soapbox. I am a lifter but I can see this coming.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    goodness no

People tend to believe crazy things when it comes to diet and weight loss.

Same with religion.

I will shut up right there.

Usually this.

Unless it seems like they will accept my advice and be thankful for it and then of course I don't leave them to suffer through a bad plan. A lot of people are aware that I am into fitness and very fit, so sometimes people will ask me for advice on how to lose weight.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    it really depends on the situation and the person. most of the time, people don't want to be corrected or to learn the truth. They prefer to carry on believing whatever snake oil salesman mythology they're currently got their heart set on, and can't seem to cognitively process the idea that someone might be correcting them to actually help them find a way to achieve their goals that actually stands a chance of working.

There are some situations where the person genuinely wants help and wants to listen to advice and opinions, and wants to try something that has a chance of working.
  • nicenhealthy
    Options
    If they involve me, I will tell them what I believe to be the truth (on health/weightloss matters). :laugh: I generally do not ruin their perfect delusion tho.
  • ell_v131
    ell_v131 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    My best friend insists she gained a lot of weight while she was only eating one meal a day and not getting enough calories. When has a friend who puts her on fad juicing cleanses (you can't have grapefruit or other citrus fruits, OMG!!!) Who told her the common myth of the body storing any fat when you don't eat enough. I tried to explain to her she cant gain weight while in deficit, But she is convinced, because she lost on the juice cleanse. She is vegetarian, But doesn't eat much protein, mostly potatoes, pasta with lots of cream and cheese, and I can see how one meal a day could potentially put her over, especially if her body doesn't have the energy tomove as kmuch as she normally would. Also she drinks alcohol so there's that.

Now she's happy with her weight since when she gained she got boobs along with the other fat. Her new goal is to "firm up ". I am not even trying to explain to her that you can't firm up fat. Sigh.

Can you explain what you mean by you can't firm up fat please?
    In case you're serious, fat is fat, it's soft, flabby tissue. You can't do anything to change that, other than lose it.

So would I have to eat at a calorie deficit until I have a flat stomach before I try and make it look leaner?

Now you're just trolling and setting up the bait to go on a lifting soapbox. I am a lifter but I can see this coming.

Yeah, I lift too, But even though she has her own gym, her "weightless equipment" (treadmill and elliptical) are broken. When I suggest lifting she is convinced she will get bulky although she can see how I'm only getting leaner.

Also, she doesn't want to lose weight/fat if you read my first post. She just wants her fat to be firm.
  • edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if this is the right board for this, but no other board seemed to fit, so....

So my cousin is having a destination wedding in 2015, so yesterday at Christmas dinner all my aunts and uncles and cousins were discussing the "group diet" they all plan on embarking on Jan 6th. I didn't really join in, because I already started my own weight loss and fitness journey a while ago, so I just listened to them come up with TERRIBLE ideas.

A couple times I pointed out when something was flat out wrong, but they are so convinced that these crash diets and miracle pills work.

In a different instance, my co-worker started selling those "It Works" wraps, and I listened to her one day telling someone how you can lose 10 inches in 45 minutes, and it's permanent. The person asked how it works, and the explanation was "It pulls the lipids right out of your fat cells". I just cringed.

So my question is, when you encounter something like this, do you speak up and correct people when their information is so far off? I sometimes do, but I'm doing it less and less because it seems so futile... but at the same time, it seems like if I don't say something, I will feel responsible if they harm themselves with dangerous diet methods.... or in the case of the It Works wraps, waste their money!!

if you can't give them scientifically sound advice, I would just stay quiet. This is because just because Jared lost 300 pounds eating subway sandwiches(for example), all he did was do " calorie intake < calorie spent ".

There is no right or wrong diet. You can eat pizza all day 24/7 and lose weight as long as it is below your maintenance.

Vitamin/leptin levels, etc are a diff story but if you don't have detailed knowledge of how such a diet would affect your health, most people wouldn't listen.
  • edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Also, "healthy" weight loss is just a myth.

Some people panick if they lose more than 1% of their body weight in any given week(2-3 pounds for example), but us humans can live for months on just water and salt tabs.

Sure you will lack vitamins if you just drink water and salt tabs, and it will be 'unhealthy', but crash diets are used all the time by actors and actresses for weight gain/weight loss.

If you have the scientific know-how I believe that even with crash diets, there are proper ways to crash diet and still not 'ruin' your metabolism and regain all that weight after.

Most of us with excess weight like to blame the weight gain on 'slow metabolism' or wacky 'hormonal' levels but realitistically that's an extremely small % of the population.

If you think you gain weight faster than your 'friends' who eat the same amount, they either diet or eat healthy compared to you when they are alone and/or they are generally more active.

I had a friend who I thought ate big all the time whenever we hung out at night ; turns out that he skips breakfast and lunch and eats a light dinner if he pigged out 4k calories the night before. It's def. not healthy but it works and he stays at his ideal body weight.

This just shows there's no right or wrong way to lose /maintain weight. It's all different based on our life style.

Some people that eat healthy have high blood pressures while some people that eat junk all the time have perfectly normal blood press. levels until death.

There are no myths in weight loss imo. Just diff. ways based on one's life style.
  • Frank_Just_Frank
    Frank_Just_Frank Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Seeing as I've tried so many things, I can't shut up when someone tries to lecture me on the "true way" things work...I just tell them that I already tried that and it didn't work as far as those wraps go, I'm so disappointed people still fall for that crap.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Also, "healthy" weight loss is just a myth.

Some people panick if they lose more than 1% of their body weight in any given week(2-3 pounds for example), but us humans can live for months on just water and salt tabs.

Sure you will lack vitamins if you just drink water and salt tabs, and it will be 'unhealthy', but crash diets are used all the time by actors and actresses for weight gain/weight loss.

If you have the scientific know-how I believe that even with crash diets, there are proper ways to crash diet and still not 'ruin' your metabolism and regain all that weight after.

Most of us with excess weight like to blame the weight gain on 'slow metabolism' or wacky 'hormonal' levels but realitistically that's an extremely small % of the population.

If you think you gain weight faster than your 'friends' who eat the same amount, they either diet or eat healthy compared to you when they are alone and/or they are generally more active.

I had a friend who I thought ate big all the time whenever we hung out at night ; turns out that he skips breakfast and lunch and eats a light dinner if he pigged out 4k calories the night before. It's def. not healthy but it works and he stays at his ideal body weight.

This just shows there's no right or wrong way to lose /maintain weight. It's all different based on our life style.

Some people that eat healthy have high blood pressures while some people that eat junk all the time have perfectly normal blood press. levels until death.

There are no myths in weight loss imo. Just diff. ways based on one's life style.

Healthy weight loss is just a myth, but there are no weight loss myths? Huh? There certainly is healthy and unhealthy weight loss, it depends on the ratio of fat/muscle loss. Does crash dieting work? Sure, in the short term. Does it drastically affect metabolism? It can. Does it drastically affect health and body composition? Yes. Using celebrities as a guide stick as to whether something is healthy or not is silly. Professional fighters dehydrate themselves to make weight for a fight, that doesn't mean it's a healthy way to lose weight. It's funny, because you said people without the scientific knowledge should just stay quiet, then you spout off this nonsense. Should've taken your own advice.
  • smc122977
    smc122977 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have found that most people looking for a quick fix (wraps, cleanses, magic pills, etc) don't want to hear about anything except quick fixes. I avoid those conversations like the plague.
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    If I am around people who are discussing fad diets, etc., I generally don't chime in. I find that most people who believe in those approaches are not going to change their minds.

It's different if someone asks me how I have lost weight. I answer a very simple, short "I ate less than I burned". At that time most people just get a look of disbelief, and the subject gets changed. Some might go on to ask further questions, like "so you did a program like Medi-fast, right?". I just repeat what I said before, "no, I just ate less than I burned". Sometimes this goes on for a while with more questions. If I get the feeling the person is really interested in my approach, I will explain further about how I don't believe in fad diets, cleanses, etc, and about my exercise, but honestly this has only happened once where I felt the person was really wanting to learn. Everyone else just wants to hear about a quick fix.