Calories in calories out what science says

Options
So this whole Thermodynamics thing gets thrown around a lot but lets see what I found online

It is commonly held that "a calorie is a calorie", i.e. that diets of equal caloric content will result in identical weight change independent of macronutrient composition, and appeal is frequently made to the laws of thermodynamics. We have previously shown that thermodynamics does not support such a view and that diets of different macronutrient content may be expected to induce different changes in body mass.

In this review, for pedagogic clarity, we reframe the theoretical discussion to directly link thermodynamic inefficiency to weight change.

KEYWORD- THEORETICAL.

Replies

• _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    So are you arguing that a calorie is a calorie or that clean eating vs not so clean eating is better or that calories in vs calories out is nonsense? . its like you took two topics and smashed them together..
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    So are you arguing that a calorie is a calorie or that clean eating vs not so clean eating is better or that calories in vs calories out is nonsense? . its like you took two topics and smashed them together..

No it doesn't...
  • _Resolve_
    Options

No it doesn't...

No what doesn't? I was asking the OP to clarify what they are trying to say..
  • Dissecti0n
    Options
    I am saying calories in calories out is not 100%
  • vwbug86
    vwbug86 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    So lets clear up something.

Theory vs. Fact vs. Theory

Theory in laymen's terms is a hypothesis that you are trying to prove with anecdotal evidence. Most commonly used for things like english papers or M.A. Thesis

Facts things science has proven as true. Like that the earth revolves around the sun, gravity, existence of DNA, and atoms.

Theory in scientific terms. A way to explain FACTS.

Theories in science are ways to explain things science KNOWS to be TRUE.
  • Sovictorrious
    Sovictorrious Posts: 770 Member
    Options

No it doesn't...

I pick the red pill
  • _Resolve_
    Options

Well, I hate to disagree and I could be wrong but I have found if you eat less and move more then you typically lose weight. Sticking to a TDEE -20% approach and reevaluating the TDEE after every 10 pounds loss has worked for me. Typically when people stop losing or don't lose they are simply not calculating their calorie intake correctly or over estimating the calorie burn.
  • YesIAm17
    YesIAm17 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Oh brother... not this thread... again!

Yes it is 100%... No it's not... Yes it is.... Gifs.... /end thread and return to counting calories
  • wheird
    Options

No it doesn't...

It isn't like they smashed two topics together.

What they are suggesting is that a diet of 80-10-10, 10-80-10-, or 10-10-80 of equal caloric content will not produce the same results over time.

Which is partially true. In the short term, the results would be similar, but as time goes on the differences will become greater. This is mainly due to the change in body composition as a result. But other factors would be at play as well, such as increased/decreased output as a result of less energy from lower carb/lower fat.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me want to bang my head against the wall.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Cool.

I'm sure we'll see something useful that hasn't been posted in the previous 8,234,587,231 threads on exactly this topic.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Sure it is. At least my own experience of losing 34 pounds has supported this.
  • YesIAm17
    YesIAm17 Posts: 817 Member
    Options

No it doesn't...

What they are suggesting is that a diet of 80-10-10, 10-80-10-, or 10-10-80 of equal caloric content will not produce the same results over time.

Which is partially true. In the short term, the results would be similar, but as time goes on the differences will become greater. This is mainly due to the change in body composition as a result. But other factors would be at play as well, such as increased/decreased output as a result of less energy from lower carb/lower fat.

What you say makes sense to me. I however did not get the impression that the OP intended rationale useful discourse to occur in response to their statements, yet hope that I am wrong.
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    'Something I read on the Internet' =/= 'what science said'

Sources.
  • wheird
    Options
    Cool.

I'm sure we'll see something useful that hasn't been posted in the previous 8,234,587,231 threads on exactly this topic.

ikr
  • Amadbro
    Amadbro Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    SCIENCE
  • _Resolve_
    Options

No it doesn't...

Sounds good to me, what threw me off was the copy and paste mid paragraph from some study.. didn't follow.. now I do.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options

Which is partially true. In the short term, the results would be similar, but as time goes on the differences will become greater. This is mainly due to the change in body composition as a result.

Only if you're doing it wrong.

Calorie intake is supposed to be adjusted as the body changes. If you don't make adjustments based on body weight AND body composition changes for each selection of macro ratios, you are no longer doing an apples-to-apples comparison with respect to caloric deficit.

Implement CICO correctly, and the long term results will match very closely, until the body reaches very lean levels.
  • wheird
    Options

Which is partially true. In the short term, the results would be similar, but as time goes on the differences will become greater. This is mainly due to the change in body composition as a result.

Only if you're doing it wrong.

Calorie intake is supposed to be adjusted as the body changes. If you don't make adjustments based on body weight AND body composition changes for each selection of macro ratios, you are no longer doing an apples-to-apples comparison with respect to caloric deficit.

Implement CICO correctly, and the long term results will match very closely, until the body reaches very lean levels.

I -believe- that the OP was talking about things existing in a vacuum.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    I -believe- that the OP was talking about things existing in a vacuum.
    The OP isn't even using a correct definition of CICO.

Vacuum or no vacuum.