Calories in calories out what science says

Options

Replies

• Dissecti0n
    Options
    Trying to use the “Laws of Thermodynamics” to explain human biological functions is pure folly. Scientific laws only apply to laboratory situations where variables are controlled and systems are closed off from all other systems.

The human body is NOT a closed system and our lives DO NOT take place in laboratories. To put it simply, calories are units of heat, not measures of potency.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Uh, did you read your own links? So far I've checked of one and I don't think it says what you think it says (science asked medicine one).

And, the rest, well I can google fu just as many equally crappy sources that say the opposite. In fact, I can find an article from Men's Health that says CICO is what works. I'm sure I could for others as well.
  • __Angie__
    Options
    Oh brother... not this thread... again!

Yes it is 100%... No it's not... Yes it is.... Gifs.... /end thread and return to counting calories

^This
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

- different macros have differing TEF....yes we know

- different foods have a different impact on satiety....yes we know

- carbs can impact insulin resistant people differently, therefore impacting calories out - yes we know

- fats can regulate hormones - yes we know

- different foods have different fiber/micronutrients that can impact well being - yes we know

All of which impact the calories out part of the equation.

I am not sure what those links 'prove'.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    So lets clear up something.

Theory vs. Fact vs. Theory

Theory in laymen's terms is a hypothesis that you are trying to prove with anecdotal evidence. Most commonly used for things like english papers or M.A. Thesis

Facts things science has proven as true. Like that the earth revolves around the sun, gravity, existence of DNA, and atoms.

Theory in scientific terms. A way to explain FACTS.

Theories in science are ways to explain things science KNOWS to be TRUE.

hahahahahahahahaha lol

Its a theory because it cant be proven...

Take a friggin science course. A scientific theory is not what you, as a layman, think of as a theory.

taken plenty of science courses a theory isn't fact
    Wait a minute. Are you saying that the millions of weight loss successes of people eating at a calorie deficit is theory only and not fact?

Are you saying that the 34 pounds I have lost is not from the practice of creating a calorie deficit through food and exercise?

Do tell.

Please explain yourself in a articulate manner so that I (we all) can understand where you are coming from.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Scientific laws only apply to laboratory situations where variables are controlled and systems are closed off from all other systems.
    Dang. I better get to a lab quick before gravity stops working!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Fine...I'll forget about all of the sciency mumbo jumbo and will instead just look at my own situation:

When I eat fewer calories than a certain number, I lose weight. The further away from this number, the faster the loss.

When I eat the same calories as a certain number, I maintain weight.

When I eat more calories than a certain number, I gain weight. The further away from this number, the faster the gain.

Using years of detailed food and weight records (and math), I can calculate that "certain number": it's 2400 excluding additional exercise.

Why would I disbelieve that there is a strong correlation between calories in, calories out, and weight loss/gain?
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    35zsra.jpg
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

- different macros have differing TEF....yes we know

- different foods have a different impact on satiety....yes we know

- carbs can impact insulin resistant people differently, therefore impacting calories out - yes we know

- fats can regulate hormones - yes we know

- different foods have different fiber/micronutrients that can impact well being - yes we know

All of which impact the calories out part of the equation.

I am not sure what those links 'prove'.
    I am. They prove that the OP is utterly and hopelessly clueless.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    OP, you are really embarrassing yourself with your arrogance and your lack of understanding.

Take some time to read the articles you posted. You would benefit greatly from the knowledge.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    So lets clear up something.

Theory vs. Fact vs. Theory

Theory in laymen's terms is a hypothesis that you are trying to prove with anecdotal evidence. Most commonly used for things like english papers or M.A. Thesis

Facts things science has proven as true. Like that the earth revolves around the sun, gravity, existence of DNA, and atoms.

Theory in scientific terms. A way to explain FACTS.

Theories in science are ways to explain things science KNOWS to be TRUE.

hahahahahahahahaha lol

Its a theory because it cant be proven...

Take a friggin science course. A scientific theory is not what you, as a layman, think of as a theory.

taken plenty of science courses a theory isn't fact

true. theory is not fact.

however the LAWS of thermodynamics are not theory.
  • ILoveBreakfast671
    ILoveBreakfast671 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I eat fast food almost EVERYDAAAAYYYY.

I just fit it in.
  • nazish17
    nazish17 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Op, run as fast as your little legs take you; you may nood to run far, thus if cals in dont rqual cals out you may nred to eat an entire banquet to get to where you need to be.

The world just ended the theory of the earth in its orbit around the sun is just theory& therfore not 100% so therefore the earth and the sun collide and we die!

The cheek of it, science provides us with with an undestanding of the world, we prefer to keep it like that!!

i must go borrows nasars space boots next someone may suggesr that the force of graviationl pull isnt enough to keep me.upright!
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    Trying to use the “Laws of Thermodynamics” to explain human biological functions is pure folly. Scientific laws only apply to laboratory situations where variables are controlled and systems are closed off from all other systems.

The human body is NOT a closed system and our lives DO NOT take place in laboratories. To put it simply, calories are units of heat, not measures of potency.

So how do you feel that this conversation is working out for you?

Do you think you're making your point effectively? I think you're doing a piss poor, terrible job, because whatever point you may have is lurking far beneath your attitude and arrogance.

Way to go.
  • oc1timoco
    oc1timoco Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    and just for fun here is the complete abstract from 2004 - without parts omitted for lol's

Nutr Metab (Lond). 2004 Dec 8;1(1):15.

Affiliation
    Abstract
    BACKGROUND: It is commonly held that "a calorie is a calorie", i.e. that diets of equal caloric content will result in identical weight change independent of macronutrient composition, and appeal is frequently made to the laws of thermodynamics. We have previously shown that thermodynamics does not support such a view and that diets of different macronutrient content may be expected to induce different changes in body mass. Low carbohydrate diets in particular have claimed a "metabolic advantage" meaning more weight loss than in isocaloric diets of higher carbohydrate content. In this review, for pedagogic clarity, we reframe the theoretical discussion to directly link thermodynamic inefficiency to weight change. The problem in outline: Is metabolic advantage theoretically possible? If so, what biochemical mechanisms might plausibly explain it? Finally, what experimental evidence exists to determine whether it does or does not occur?

RESULTS: Reduced thermodynamic efficiency will result in increased weight loss. The laws of thermodynamics are silent on the existence of variable thermodynamic efficiency in metabolic processes. Therefore such variability is permitted and can be related to differences in weight lost. The existence of variable efficiency and metabolic advantage is therefore an empiric question rather than a theoretical one, confirmed by many experimental isocaloric studies, pending a properly performed meta-analysis. Mechanisms are as yet unknown, but plausible mechanisms at the metabolic level are proposed.

CONCLUSIONS: Variable thermodynamic efficiency due to dietary manipulation is permitted by physical laws, is supported by much experimental data, and may be reasonably explained by plausible mechanisms.
    This verbal barrage of superfluous B*****it is nauseating.
  • bluejeansarah
    bluejeansarah Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m1imd2H8IP1qcj1hao1_500.gif

channing-tatum-21-jump-street.gif
  • Dissecti0n
    Options

• Dissecti0n
    Options

Do you think you're making your point effectively? I think you're doing a piss poor, terrible job, because whatever point you may have is lurking far beneath your attitude and arrogance.

Way to go.

Thermodynamics doesn't apply to the human body, in this aspect. It is often times not understood correctly on these boards. People stick by this, even though scientists (who aren't biased and payed off) have clearly stated our bodies to not burn the way the studies for thermodynamics are tested. It does NOT apply to the human body in this aspects...It just doesn't apply. Its all over the interne that this is a VERY common misconception with the new wave of ignorant health nuts.
  • Dissecti0n
    Options
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options

Way to go.

Thermodynamics doesn't apply to the human body, in this aspect. It is often times not understood correctly on these boards. People stick by this, even though scientists (who aren't biased and payed off) have clearly stated our bodies to not burn the way the studies for thermodynamics are tested. It does NOT apply to the human body in this aspects...It just doesn't apply. Its all over the interne that this is a VERY common misconception with the new wave of ignorant health nuts.

Calorie in / calorie out does determine gain or loss. However, the body is very complex and can up or down regulate metabolism and can up or down regulate hunger. These are complex interactions between your hormonal and digestive systems and there are many ways to positively impact these systems.