Anyone in or near 40's?

Options

Replies

• MileHighFitness
    MileHighFitness Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Just turned 40 and getting back to my healthier lifestyle. My thirties were all about career advancement..and I put on alot of weight. I have lost thirty pounds over the last three months so its going pretty well. My biggest concern is protecting my knees and avoiding injuries.
  • westendcurls
    westendcurls Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Im almost near lol, ( about to turn 35.)
    Ive got to say I really dont buy the myth that age slows you down. One of my greatest mentors and inspirations is a 53 years young group instructor\nurse who can work me like you would not believe!!!! She completed the though mudder in Copper CO with her 24 year old daughter a year ago. does a crazy 3 day mountain bike marathon yearly...the list goes on.

The only thing slowing you down is your mind set. change your mind change your life!!!
  • Camo_Man
    Camo_Man Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I am 45 and for the past couple years have been really getting back into fitness. iw as always an athlete and always athletic and then in my 30's I let myself go and found myself 45 lbs overweight and high blood pressure and unhappy. I started to workout and lost about 15 lbs but didn't have any direction so I chose to do P90X and after 3 months I was down 40 lbs total and I decided to do P90X again for a second time and have not stopped or looked back. I'm a Beachbody coach helping others achieve their goals and supporting them. It is not always easy but it is something I am determined to stay with and I enjoy my workouts now and will be doing the new P90X3 30 minute workouts in January. Can't wait to try that and get even healthier.

Mike
  • Julesbait
    Julesbait Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I will be 40 in February. I'm within 20 lbs of my original goal, and already in the best shape of my life, by far, Though I'm not at my lowest weight, I'm at my smallest ever size thanks to a good combination of cardio and strength. I want to get into heavy lifting soon. It can be done! Would love to add you as a friend! :)
  • PamGeirng
    PamGeirng Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I am 46 and in the best shape I have been since I was 19 years old. I feel great! It has taken me almost a year to lose 55 pounds and I have 2 to go to get to my goal. Although it has taken me this long I feel like I did it at a good pace to keep it off. I will be going into maintenance soon but will stay with Fitness Pal at least another year or maybe forever who knows. Anyway, add me if you would like!
  • Tricep_A_Tops_
    Tricep_A_Tops_ Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Just turned 44 a few weeks ago and feel like in 24. : ) At 41 and already on high blood cholesterol meds my doctor told me that I would soon be Type II Diabetic if I didnt start losing weight and eating healthy. 13 months later I had lost 83 lbs and havent looked back since. : )
  • Sassia
    Sassia Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    *whispers* I'm 42....The horror!
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I'm 45 and in better shape than I was in my 20s. I haven't found it harder to lose weight but I do find that my body hurts more. Sending you a friend request.
  • dlamere2
    dlamere2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm 40 . . . and I can't tell you if it gets harder or not to lose weight and get in shape when you get older because I'm not sure I've ever truly been "fit". I've been thin, I've been fat, and I've been everywhere in between (and have the clothes in my closet to prove it) but I haven't ever really been willing to DO THE WORK to be healthy until now.

At 40, I finally "get" it and am serious about exercise. I do cardio 3 times a week and I work out with a personal trainer twice a week doing strength and agility training, something I never did before and something I would NEVER EVER EVER EVER do on my own. EVER. This means that most days, my aches and pains have aches and pains and the progress is slower at 40 than it was at 30.

I found this article (see link below) about how to "power age" which has tips for people in their 30's, 40's, 50's and beyond and thought it was interesting and spot on. Good luck to you!
    http://experiencelife.com/article/power-aging-3/
  • chrissyreneet
    chrissyreneet Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    38 here. I want to go into my 40s fit and strong!
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I'm 42, and like some of the others said, I am in better shape now more than ever in my adult life - Good luck in accomplishing your goals

If you are interested, you can read about my journey here
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1157476-my-scale-says-189-today-lost-151-lbs
  • Brandon74
    Brandon74 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I turn 40 in October. Feel free to add me.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I'm beating on 40's door! 38 :-D
  • 444On_A_Mission
    Options
    I am 46!! Age is just a number.... ready to whip this body back into shape! Tired of being tired.
  • DJMIKEY1
    DJMIKEY1 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I'm 42...age is just a number.
  • ItsMeGee3
    ItsMeGee3 Posts: 13,255 Member
    Options
    45 and never felt better. However, it doesn't get any easier! My determination just get stronger.
  • Winston1717
    Options
    49 here, log daily and work out 5 days per week feel free to add. Good luck!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I am 42, and strive hard to burn over 1000 calories a day.
    anyone can add me
  • Smeltzer2
    Smeltzer2 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    40. Wow. My daughter is 41 my son is 45. I am 70. I remember my 40s . They were good years but actually i look better and most dsys feel better than 40. I have time for me and do more things for me since my kids are grown. 40. I am almost twice that. You young people keep up the mfp logging and exercise. You are on a great plan.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    As I'm getting older I am finding that the only real difference is that I ache a bit more and I am finding I need to give myself a bit longer to recover - my solution is to diversify. I've got fit before by running, now I am aiming for Triathlon. This means i end up exercising 3 separate sets of muscles .There is a lot of research (there are plenty of references in "The Triathlons Training Bible") which shows the physiological differences though aging. Our MHR drops quite a bit for example but total level of fitness capacity doesn't drop off that much. We can still get very fit. I watched a programme last year about a 55 year old reporter who joined the SAS training scheme (they are the elite UK Commandos). He kicked *kitten* and made it though when a lot of the younger guys couldn't. Also there are some very useful aspects of getting older. We usually have experience which tells us we are not invincible, we can (on average) use this experience to regulate what we do - we know stretching is good and important, we know that going full pelt all the time is not going to give long term results, we can read our bodies well, we understand the usefulness of structure. I am in no way saying younger people can't do this but it seems that wisdom is engrained with age. I know Joe Friel (World class tri coach) has said on numerous occasions that if only he could put the wisdom of a 40+ athlete into a reasonably competent 18 year old and he would have a record breaker.

OP and anyone else, please feel free to add me if you are serious about increasing your fitness and are willing to drop the odd supportive comment :-)